“Nice Environment, Good Food”
Review of Blue Mango Indian Cuisine - CLOSED

Blue Mango Indian Cuisine
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hillsborough St
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This was our first trip to Blue Mango, and we decided to try it during Raleigh Restaurant Week which had a $30 set menu. We were really surprised at how nice of an environment the restaurant is, with a couple of water features, nice lighting, and a really nice bar setup as well. We both really enjoyed the food and wine, and it was served rather quickly. The only complaint I would have about the restaurant was that our waitress, while I know she was knew, was really unfamiliar with the menu. It's not a mark against her, because I know I would have a hard time learning everything as well my first week or two, but she had to check a few times on things we were asking about. Again, not a big deal, but I would've thought the restaurant might have made sure she was good to go on everything in the menu before she started serving customers. Overall a really great experience, and we will be coming back!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was the first time my wife and I had been to the Blue Mango. We eat out very often and have traveled extensively. We enjoyed an excellent meal. She had eggplant and I had lamb kabobs. The food was well prepared and presented. The lamb was the best I have ever had other than lamb chops. We highly recommend the food.
The problem was the server. To say the least, he seemed to be trying to do too many things at the same time and not doing well at them. We attempted to order drinks and he walked away in the middle of our ordering. He brought dinner plates and, when I moved mine, I found it to be covered on the reverse side with what appeared to mashed potatoes. I don't mean a few specks. I mean a couple of spoonfuls. I turned the plate over on the table and waited for hime to return. Eventually, he returned with our dinners and took the dirty plate. He said "sorry about that" and left. I made the assumption that he would return with a clean plate. Silly me! I had to get out of my chair and find a different server and ask him for a clean dinner plate.
We will probably return to this restaurant because the food is so great. I hope we don't get this server again.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Good things first:
They have a pretty slick layout, the restaurant was well kept, and the waitress was friendly.
The bad:
Food was atrocious at best. Sloppy, and downright horrible.
Now who can screw up papadoms? We got the cold and soggy. Curry was a horrendous mixture of tomato paste sugar and cream.
biriani - now reader, it takes some nerve to call the thing they served me biriani. Rubbery undercooked cubes of lamb in buttered rice laced with thyme.

Shameful.

1  Thank xowl
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We decided to stop here for our dinner while on a road trip. The food here was very goodexcept for the Pulao we ordered. The ambience is quite good and not very pricy IMO. Would go again if I am back in Raleigh .

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Indian, yes Indian food close to downtown. Very nice atmosphere, decent parking near the restaurant, attentive waitstaff, but the food was just not spicy enough for us. Despite asking for medium, it came out very mild and even void of the usual curry flavors one would expect. Next time am ordering ''hot''. Dishes are plentiful, rice-bowls are enough for 2 people and a to-go box.

The owner/chef did come to table to ask if all was OK. In truth, he should have been in the kitchen spicing it up a bit. Was this dummied down for the American palate?