“3 of 4 stars (very good for casual dining)”
Review of Weinberg's - CLOSED

Weinberg's
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed June 2, 2012

(see explanation of ratings below)

A pretty good, REAL deli. They get their meats from some of the best New York City meat suppliers. Get their bagels half-baked from there, too, and then finish them in house.

But, nearly $11 for a Rueben? You can get a Rueben at another nearby deli for $8.39.

And, they had no corned beef the day I was there!

About my ratings:

Only fine dining establishments can garner five stars. Until Tripadvisor realizes that a fast food joint cannot possibly be ranked equally with a $100 per person place, I need to draw the line somewhere. If we were only talking about the quality and presentation of the food, it would be a different story. But, as we know, Tripadvisor's rankings take into account the entire dining experience.

Therefore, I divide restaurants into three categories (and I wish Tripadvisor would do the same):

1) fast food (no table service)

2) casual dining (table service)

3) fine dining (linen napkins, no plastic cups, no TV's in dining rooms, typically more expensive than casual dining)

Fine dining can earn a max of five stars. Casual dining can earn a max of four stars. Fast food can earn a max of three stars.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

So happy to have an authentic deli here in Raleigh with Jewish "soul" food! On my second visit, and I brought along my parents who were visiting me from out-of-state. It was relatively quiet when we arrived, but then filled up with customers by the time we left. Service was good the entire time.

Among our favorites:

Chicken soup with matzoh balls - the broth is just right, good flavor and body, not too salty, and the matzoh balls are deliciously light.

Pickles - so delicous we begged for more

Chocolate egg cream - perfect

Corned beef hash with egg - great meal for breakfast or brunch, the potatoes were flavorful and the corned beef was clearly homemade

Coldcuts - my father claims his tongue sandwich (I know ... not everyone's fave) was The Best he has EVER had in his 80+ years of life, and he's comparing it to some of the most well-known delicatessans coast to coast. The point is: The meat was perfect - thinly sliced, moist and lean, piled high.

I am also thrilled I can buy / order Passover pastries and candies - truly a wish fulfilled.

Looking forward to returning again soon to try more dishes.

1  Thank Mama2More
Reviewed April 18, 2012

My family was very happy when this deli opened up. We are from NY originally and have not been able to find authentic deli foods since moving here over 20 years ago.

They have some great homemade items and bring some other items in from NY.

The staff does seem a little confused about what should come with all the menu items but they are still fairly new. When we ordered the potato pancakes, they didn't know to provide applesauce.

I had the roast beef hot plate the last time I visited and it was quite good. The prices are a little higher than other choices but the quality is definitely better.

Reviewed January 4, 2012

My wife and I have eaten here multiple times. The meats and pastries that are cooked on site are excellent. The side dishes that come with the platters are less than tasty. Come for the kneadela, the knishes, the matzo brie, the matzo balls and the meats. The waiters need experience with the menu and the kitchen needs to better understand how to slice brisket and ensure that the dishes are uniformly heated. The possibilities are here but only time will tell.

1  Thank DanTColeman