“Trendy, hoppin' and tasty.”
Review of Chuck's

Chuck's
Ranked #26 of 1,520 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I was turned on to this place by seeing a feature in Southern Living magazine showing the 50 best dishes under $10. There were a couple in Raleigh, but the Dirty South Burger had my name all over it. It's got a house ground chuck patty (which can be 8oz or 5oz for any burger), crispy onions, slaw, cheddar, chili and pork shoulder. I'm not sure I'd say it was the BEST burger I've ever had, but it was certainly worth the 45-minute trip.

It's a bit pricey for the meal itself, though. Everything is separate (burger, fries, drink - which is canned soda for $2.50). You can get the fries in different portions like the burger and they're pretty tasty. I'd say, though, the coolest part of the fries is the choice of two dipping sauces to accompany. Not only that, but they also give you two ketchup cups on top of the dips. I always hate having a good serving of fries and not having enough to dip them in. I didn't even come close to having that problem. The selection is interesting, too, including beef booster mayo, sweet chili sauce, buttermilk herb, and a handful more.

This place is among a small chain of restaurants on Wilmington by the same owner, including Beasley's Chicken & Honey and Joule. It's got an awesome, simple interior. A lot of exposed brick, black tables/booths, red chairs/stools. It's stylish and has really good music. It's something I'd imagine you'd see in downtown Austin, TX.

We got there RIGHT when they opened at 11:30 on a Monday. By 11:50 it was bangin'. Beasley's next door was the same way; so, I'd imagine this is pretty regular. Think about getting there early!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Our 21-year old daughter turned us on to chuck's and she is a vegetarian! The burger choices are all unusual and so tasty! She got the veggie burger instead of beef, and we got the beef. Would recommend the half pounder (go for it!) and the fries are the best that I have ever had. Several options for dipping sauces, but the comeback sauce was a winner. Hubby and I each ordered a different burger (The Dirty South burger and the High and Valley) had the kitchen cut them in half and we traded so we could experience 2 different choices. Great idea; would recommend doing that if you cannot make up your mind.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I have been here a few times. The burgers are great and so are the milk shakes. It isn't a great place for a date, but it's one of the best places to go downtown for a burger. You get to try a lot of different sauces with your fries, and I really liked that. They were all very good. I will definitely be going back.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

We have been to Chucks at least 20 times whenever the Burger urge hits us-we love the burgers-the fries are a bit too salty-heavy handed shaker I guess.
The only negatives are the red metal stools on the one side of the high tables(not comfortable at all) and the music volume that sometimes creeps up and up and up----------and you find your self yelling at your table guests! ha

Reviewed November 30, 2013

First and foremost, you can't beat the value for downtown. The Burger was excellent and for under $10, you can't beat it. The only reason I didn't give them 5 stars was the fries, which were WAY to salty, and their limited drink menu. Overall, however, the good FAR outweighs the bad. Absolutely will return during my next trip to Raleigh!

Been to Chuck's? Share your experiences!