“Best Burgers in Raleigh” 5 of 5 bubbles

Chuck's
Ranked #31 of 1,439 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Best Burgers in Raleigh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Chuck's serves the hands-down best burger in all of the Triangle. While their menu is admittedly limited, their ingredients are high quality and they do allow you to sub out various toppings to personalize your burger to your liking. My go-to is definitely the Big House, but honestly you can't go wrong no matter which burger you pick. The crazy milkshake flavors are definitely a must-have as well, since where else can you get a Hummingbird Cake milkshake spiked with dark rum? Also, I don't usually like thick-cut fries since they usually end up being mushy and soft, but the Belgian fries at Chuck's are somehow very crisp. I will say that their pickle chips leave a lot to be desired (especially for $6), but that's about the only complaint I have for this place. Go to Chuck's; you won't regret it.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Menu is limited, but burgers are tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

I was in town for training and wanted a quick American meal. The spot was rated #14 in Raleigh so I gave it a shot. The menu is limited and I didn't find anything I liked, so I just asked for a bacon cheeseburger and they brought it out quickly with fries. The burger and fries were very tasty. They offer different dips for their fries and those also added more flavor. They are a bit pricey, but worth it.

Munich, Germany
“Amazing approach to gourmet burgers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We were delighted with Chuck's! A limited menu, but one that clearly was well thought out and designed. It is a little pricey for a burger joint, but in my opinion, very well worth it. We ate there at 11:30, beat the crowd, and were not even remotely hungry again until late in the evening. Very filling and tasty. I got the Bear in Heaven, the people with me got the Animal Spirit and the Bradley Time. We also got some fries, which are large but cooked perfectly. I wish I had room for a milk shake, but there was no room after all the other yumminess.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Too pricey for the offering”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We were downtown in Raleigh last night and saw a line outside a restaurant that was new to us so, believing in the wisdom of crowds, we got in line to eat at Chuck's. Chuck's offers gourmet burgers, fries with unique sauce dips and milk shakes that are absolutely incredible. My burger was: large 8 oz., topped with avocados and grilled pepper jelly. The burger was extremely juicy. So juicy that the bottom section of bun was un-edible. We got a order of fries that were unique ... both crunchy and flavorful. Our shakes were the highlight of the meal. Our table had four different varieties and each were that diners favorite part of the meal. Chuck's is too expensive for the experience. My check for two was over forty five dollars for the meal. My wife and I agree, we'll skip Chuck's for better options in downtown Raleigh.

Visited September 2013
United States
“4 of 4 stars (excellent, casual dining).”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

(see explanation of ratings below)

Love the shakes. Stools are a bit uncomfortable.

Keep wanting to try the chicken sandwich, but always get pulled back to beef.

Great burgers.

About $15 per person, gratuity not included.

LOVE their shakes (especially with a shot of bourbon).

About my ratings:

Only high-priced dining establishments can garner five stars. Until TripAdvisor realizes that a fast food joint cannot possibly be ranked equally with a $100 per person place, I need to draw the line somewhere. If we were only talking about the quality and presentation of the food, it would be a different story. But, as we know, TripAdvisor's rankings take into account the entire dining experience.

Therefore, I divide restaurants into three categories (and I wish TripAdvisor would do the same):

1) fast food and "fast-casual", low-priced (no table service).

2) casual, mid-priced dining (table service, average entrée price: $10-$20).

3) fine, high-priced dining (linen napkins, no plastic cups, no TV's in dining room, average entrée priced at more than $20, can vary depending on the city).

High-priced dining can earn a max of five stars. Mid-priced dining can earn a max of four stars. Fast food can earn a max of three stars.

• Visited July 2013