“El Platano is the bomb”

Gonza Tacos y Tequila
Reserve with OpenTable
Gonza Tacos y Tequila is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 1,545 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Mexican, South American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Come experience the best Mexican restaurant in Raleigh.
Reviewed June 11, 2018

I have been to this restaurant multiple times and have tried many things on the menu. Lately, I don't even look at the menu. The el platano is awesome. Tiny morsels of steak with a large sweet plantain. Many restaurants offer free chips when you arrive. Here, the chips arrived hot and perfectly salted. The accompanying salsa is very bright tasting. I know that makes no sense, but I can't think of any other way to describe it.

Reviewed June 10, 2018 via mobile

I was there for a family gathering. I asked for a soup, rice, and beans. Was told I couldn't order that as an entree. I explained my dietary restrictions and they said they would ask if it was ok for me to order that way. I got a tiny soup, what look liked and was 2 bites of rice and beans. Not happy to have to beg to order something from the menu that won't make me sick.

Reviewed May 28, 2018

Being the abode of the dead is a good thing here. To say this place is unique is to say the least. Gonza is a popular location for just about any group, including parents with children. The cuisine is definitely Mexican for the most part, although a few other exotic dishes are mixed in. We had fun there among the various skulls and skeletons, the youthful shorts-clad staff, and the large high-top table upon which we ate the quintessential salsa, guacamole, tacos, and quesadillas. Granted, these items were a bit different than what a typical Mexican restaurant might offer, but the differences made them better in most cases. For a fun dining experience, go check this out.

2  Thank John W
Reviewed May 18, 2018

Lunch with my wife. Many delicious menu items to choose from. Like to try something new each visit and have enjoyed everything we tried. Recommend the guacamole and any of the tacos. Very responsive staff.

Reviewed May 12, 2018

The food was solid and a bit price-e, They do not readily accommodate menu or reservation request. They have plenty of hungry customers willing to wait a long time to gain a seat. Some of the staff bends over trying ot be friendly. Others are very rushed. It felt like there was a large amount of pressure on everyone to turn the tables.

The beer was cold, but not served the way I like it: bottle with a glass/mug and not flourish, garnish, or silly-boy gimmicks. The brand I like was only being served on tap rather than in a bottle as I have purchased there previously.