“New Gonza Tacos y Tequila in Wake Forest”

Gonza Tacos y Tequila
Reserve with OpenTable
Gonza Tacos y Tequila is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 1,444 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin, South American
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Come experience the best Mexican restaurant in Raleigh.
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“New Gonza Tacos y Tequila in Wake Forest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Our Ladies Night Out group met at their newest restaurant in January. We have been to the Lead Mine restaurant twice. Of course, we made reservations b/c they are always busy! Open Table is the online reservation site. We were given the royal treatment which goes a long way with a retired teacher group!!!! We were given 2 complimentary appetizers for the 12 of us!

The Columbian food is better than traditional Mexican food! The prices are higher than your local Mexican joint b/c everything is made fresh. I especially like the unique salad that comes with their chicken tacos rather than rice.

The parking is tough b/c the restaurant is located in front of the Factory Ice Rink. I suggest parking at the businesses or either side after 6:00!

• Visited January 2014

Raleigh, nc
“Best Place for Mexican Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

We decided to try it based on TAs recommendations and it lived up to the expectations and previous write ups. The setting is casual with booths around the walls and tables in the middle with a bar on one wall. Wait staff are knowledgeable, efficient and available. The chips and salsa were fabulous; mild salsa and low salt, warm chips. Our dinners were timed not to rush us but, without a long wait. Any of the dishes looked very appealing and ours was well seasoned, proportioned and tasty.
The price was very reasonable for our meal.
Highly recommended!!!

Visited January 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
“A mixed bag”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

This restaurant with a mixed Mexican, Colombian ambiente, was very crowded on an early Friday night. By the time we left, there was a long wait for tables. Based on our experience, we do not get the enthusiasm for the restaurant other than it's different and finding a decent place to eat in North Raleigh can be difficult. The service is good enough although management is not very welcoming. After being served the requisite chips and salsa (the salsa was fresh, mild and good), we settled into the limited two-page menu. This is not necessarily a bad thing as most Mexican joints don't concentrate enough on their menu and instead serve up heaps of cheese and fats. The plate sizes are fairly small at around $12 a pop. Our friends had the tacos, which they said were quite vinegary. I had the chile relleno, which was quite tasty, but did not come with anything such as rice or beans. My wife had a platano (plantain) dish with some fish. She had to have the waitress point out the three very small chunks of fish. She thought $12 for a plantano was a stretch. And you will need to order several things besides the main course unless you're there to drink.

• Visited January 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Not a family restaurant”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

I was cleaning my desk and found notes from a restaurant that I had such a bad experience that I wanted to express. We have a small group that gets together once a month for a social dinner. We have our usual "haunts" but like to try new ones from time to time. Thus our visit to Gonza. The meal started off well enough with attentive service and some(?) patience in explaining menu items; I think it important to note that I eat Mexican at least once a week so I'm no rookie at Mexican, but they had funky names? Also it was difficult to hear. Food was tasty but the portions were tiny compared to the prices $10 for a cheese quesadilla and Small! Rice. The kids menu was a joke, a baby taco and a frozen yogurt sample cup of ice cream. Fortunately, our other dining guests gave my son items off their plates! Finally when the meal was over we tend to linger and talk....NOT here. We started getting the bums rush from almost the time the plates were sat. Not a good experience, there are too many dining and particularly Mexican options for this place for us.

• Visited September 2013
Raleigh, NC
“A bit disappoined”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

Good atmosphere that is very nicely done and visually appealing but very loud. Staff is green but appears to have been well trained and handled problems (and there were a few) professionally. In our case the downside was the food. My food was just okay, 3 micro tacos with a small dabble of chicken and some garnish on each for $10, The black beans were tasty but watery (more like soup consistency). Temperature of the food was warm, One of the tacos had a pineapple flavor which was not consistent with the description on the menu. Also when we sat down they were out of clean glasses so we had to wait about 15 minutes for water and drinks.

Not sure that I will go back anytime soon. I think they are still working out the bugs. If I did go back it would be on a less busy night, In my opinion they were too busy and the staff was stretched too thin. Management was circling the joint asking how things were but I didn't really feel like getting into it and completely ruin the experience.

• Visited December 2013