“Best Mexican In the Carolina's”

Gonza Tacos y Tequila
Reserve with OpenTable
Gonza Tacos y Tequila is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 1,526 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Mexican, South American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Come experience the best Mexican restaurant in Raleigh.
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Went with friends while visiting Raleigh. The atmosphere is cool casual but the food is hot and delicious. Had the tacos pescado, and the chiliquilles. Having grown up in San Diego and having spent several month living in Mazatlan my bar for Mexican food is high. Taco's y Tequila cleared it handily. Try when in the Triangle!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I are not real big on Mexican food. We went here for lunch and were pleasantly surprised. Some novel dishes and a very pleasant atmosphere certainly added a lot. The food was very good, the service excellent and the atmosphere enjoyable. If you like this type of food, you can't go wrong.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

My family and I recently discovered this restaurant.... Wish we knew this place already!
We went there on Sunday around 5:30pm and the place was almost full! Even though stuff were super busy their service was great.
I ordered fish tacos which were awesome and their chicken tortilla soup was, oh my, so so good!! I actually never liked chicken tortilla soup so when our waitress recommended to me I was thinking " no way I'll take that", but then I thought why not try it? Glad I did!
We will def.go back to this place!

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Six of us for lunch. The first visit for my wife and me. Having lived for years in California and Texas, I have been exposed to good Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine. This is the first time I've had anything Mexican worth eating in North Carolina. The requisite chips and salsa were good, and the accompanying guacamole was spicy and delicious. I ordered the carne tacos and was very pleased. Three soft tacos with tender bits of flavorful steak and avocado in delicious soft flour tortillas. The wife ordered the pollo (chicken) tacos and was also pleased with the dish. I want to try the dinner menu.

The locale is funky friendly with pictures everywhere. Service was also friendly and efficient.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I did not like Mexican food growing up. At all.My family still resents me for that. I started to get a little more into it a few years ago. It still was my least favorite genre of food, but I could find things on the menu that I liked so I stopped complaining. THEN I found Gonza's Tacos y Tequila, and it didn't just become my favorite Mexican restaurant, it became my favorite restaurant, period. First of all, their chips and salsa are great - but their queso is where it's at. I think it might be made with some sort of pepperjack blend, because it has a little pepper flavor and a slight kick to it. Yummy! All of their taco variations are great, but my favorite is the carnitas. The pork is so unbelievably tender. And oh my gosh - I'm not really a dessert person (well, I am, but I very rarely order them at a restaurant) - but the talega de platano is the BOMB. It's basically pastry filled with a banana chocolate mixture and shaped like a medieval coinpurse (talega translates to sack in English) and then deep fried and served with a big scoop of ice cream and dulce de leche drizzled all over the top. The service is ALWAYS excellent, regardless of who it is, but we've now started asking for Mariana because she is so sweet and always smiling. She served our table of 10 last night; there wasn't a single mistake and she came to check on us several times throughout the evening. It was my parents' first experience and they loved everything.

Last thing - a lot of people complain about the portion sizes (and some even compare it to the cost). I personally find the portion sizes to be perfect. I'm tired of leaving a restaurant absolutely hating myself because I ate everything on my plate. I've never left Gonza hungry, and depending on how many (free) chips I ate I will often leave quite full. As far as cost goes, you CANNOT compare Gonza to other Mexican restaurants because the quality of the food/ingredients are supreme. You cannot get food like this at a typical Mexican restaurant. If you're one of those people who get angry because your $10 plate isn't overflowing with (probably low quality) food, then this restaurant is definitely not for you.