“Viva TyT”

Gonza Tacos y Tequila
Reserve with OpenTable
Gonza Tacos y Tequila is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 1,490 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Mexican, South American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Come experience the best Mexican restaurant in Raleigh.
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Wonderful food. Four adults, 2 Kids, ALL members of the "Clean Plate Club". Menu includes 10 choices of Creative Tacos with quite adequate sides and very reasonably priced. Your choice of tortilla, and the corn ones not so crispy that they break.
Nice touch: Gonza makes the rounds and spends a few minutes at each table in more than superficial conversation with the patrons. Manager stops by as well.
WE WILL RETURN!

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I have been a huge fan of Dos Taquitos for the whole 20 years or so that its doors have been open. I have watched it grow and get kitschier and ever more popular year after year and the menu evolve from a straight tex-mex to a more authentic one over time. So, when I went to Gonza's, operated by Gonza Salamanca, the brother of Carlos Salamanca (Dos Taquitos' owner), I expected good things. I just didn't realize how good. Gonza's has now surpassed Dos Taquitos as my favorite Mexican restaurant.

Gonza's is just a tad more upscale (or maybe just newer) than DTQ. But, more importantly, its food is a bit better too. My favorite dish at DTQ is their enchiladas de pueblo (one steak, one chicken and one black bean enchilada covered with 3 sauces that represent the colors of the Mexican flag). At Gonza's this dish is called Mexican Flag and is on their "ghost menu" -- an unwritten menu of additional specials. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something about this dish at Gonza's that has stepped it up a notch. The flavors are somehow crisper; a little better defined.

Another difference is the dessert. In the approximately 100 times we've eaten at DTQ over the last 20 years, we've probably had dessert less than 10 times. There's really nothing that special on the menu. At Gonza's, they have several tasty desserts and, in the 3 times we have eaten there so far, we have had a dessert each time and been glad we did.

At the end of the day, whether i eat at DTQ or Gonza's, I will leave a well-fed and happy diner. And for a kitschy fun atmosphere, DTQ still has the edge. But on those nights where I really want the best of what the two have to offer, Gonza's will be my choice. Oh, and by the way, they both make killer top-shelf margaritas.

1  Thank Weloveroadtripping
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This place has a great atmosphere--very hip decor, great music, and the food is delicious. We were there on a Friday night and the place was packed. Luckily, we only had a 30 minute wait to get a table. However, it took a while for our food and drinks to arrive. I had to remind the waitress that I was still waiting on a drink and 5 minutes later, she told me that they lost the ticket, then my drink arrived another 5 minutes later and she said that they didn't lose the ticket but the bar was just backed up. I think they lost it. It took a while for the food--I even noticed that a table that was seated well after us had gotten their food before us. Now, about the food--it was fantastic! I had the red snapper and my husband had the enchildadas. Both were fresh, cooked well, and very creative. The noise level was a little much--I could barely hear my husband speaking. I'm sure we will return but maybe for lunch next time--I'm hoping it won't be so loud then.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We have been to this llittle neighborhood spot three times now. The food is definitely more interesting than the typical Tex-Mex places. I prefer to sit outside, where it is quieter and less hectic.

1  Thank Norman_Raleigh
Reviewed October 18, 2012

you won't find the 'same old/same old' pre-printed mexican menu here. from the moment you walk up the to door, you know you're in for a dining 'experience', and you won't be wrong!

the atmosphere is cozy, the tables not too close to each other and the food is fabulous! make sure to ask about the 'ghost menu' ( non published dishes like the incredible scallop tacos).

the tequila drinks are special and some are very spicey...again, all under $10...deal!

North Raleigh has another gem in G's T & T!

on weekends, expect a wait cuz it's sooo good!

1  Thank stylerchick