“Gift card confusion?”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: W Edenton Street & Hillsborough Street
Description: Located in downtown Raleigh, NC, Mantra has come to represent an inviting atmosphere of modern elegance, comfort and sophistication. An inspired menu boasts delectable Indian Cuisine of both traditional and contemporary dishes made with the finest and freshest ingredients.Award-winning chef owner Gamer Rawat strives to create food options that are authentic Indian with western adaptation. His passion for flavor and quality cuisine led him to open his own restaurant. At Mantra you will not only find exquisite dishes, but true taste in beauty as well.Exquisitely presented menu options, delicious dessert temptations, and friendly, enthusiastic service ensure a memorable dining experience.An eclectic display of artwork, lighting and colors set stage for an unforgettable evening while you tantalize your senses with an exceptional selection of fine wines and cocktails paired with delicious light fare.
Raleigh, NC
“Gift card confusion?”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We were impressed with the food and may go back. With that being said, however, it needs to be noted that when presenting them with a gift card to purchase your food, you are informed that alcohol is not included. We had a gift card, not a coupon. The disclaimer does state that tax and gratuity are not included in the gift card, but nothing is mentioned about alcohol. I was informed that NC State Law says that they cannot sell alcohol at a discounted rate. In the end, the manager did adjust the bill, however not without a very rude attitude. The manager acted as if this were my fault that we did not know the law. I kept explaining it was a gift card and not a coupon. To me, if I have a gift card to Target, I can purchase anything in the store, no? Mixed feelings on this restaurant as the food was good, the sanitary grade was a 98, our waitress was sweet, but the manager was a jerk. With so many restaurants in Raleigh, I'm not so sure we will be back.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank JoPurl

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Discrimination and ignorance.....”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

On a whim, my girlfriend and myself decided to go out last night and have dinner at your establishment. We expected to have a wait, as it was Valentines Day and we had not made a reservation, but there was no wait. We were shown to a table right away. The couple that came in after us, sat down about 5 to 10 minutes after we did. We were given water quickly, and our order was taken promptly. Then that other couple that came in after us sat down at their table. As we waited for our drinks and appetizers, we watched other couples getting their drinks, appetizers and main courses.... including that couple that sat down AFTER we did. THEY got their drinks, THEY got their appetizers, we are sitting patiently waiting for something... anything... her glass of wine, my beer, an appetizer, even eye contact from one of your staff. We got NOTHING. Never even saw the young man that took our order again..... After that other couple that came in AFTER us, sat down AFTER us, ordered AFTER us got their main course, while we were still waiting on drinks and appetizers, we got up and left. This was THE MOST humiliating experience of my life!! NEVER have I experienced such dismissal and discrimination anywhere EVER!! NOONE even said anything to us about leaving without eating.... or paying.... except for one bus boy who had seen us sitting there with NOTHING for 45 minutes, had the nerve to say "thank you" as we were walking out.
I find your establishment to be exclusive rather than inclusive, and discriminatory. I will NEVER set foot in your restaurant again, and I will continue to publish reviews such as this one in hopes that NOONE ever goes to your restaurant again, and you shut down. SHAME ON YOU!!!

• Visited February 2014
5 Thank Andrea Z
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Average Food but Overall below average experience”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The food at Mantra was alright but nothing to write home about. Overall, Mantra just felt like it was lacking something and I guess I had bit higher expectations for Mantra after hearing that it was a good place to get some Indian food.

The first thing that stood out was how unclean the restaurant was. As we were seated I couldn't help but notice the amount of stains that the chairs had on them. Two of the four water glasses were dirty and the menu that I was given had leftover food dried and stained on the menu. Not a good first impression. From there things didn't every really improve. The food was OK but just didn't stand out for the prices they charged and the service was the same. Overall, I wouldn't recommend Mantra and feel like there are much better places to get Indian food in the Triangle.

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank FFS332
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Good Indian food on small buffet”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We've visited twice during the weekday lunch buffet and have enjoyed it both times. The buffet is small but has a good selection of veggie and meat dishes (tikka masala, tandori, paneer, etc.). They also have pakora appetizers with several sauce choices and an excellent salad. The second time we visited, they didn't have the salad on the buffet bar but they provided us one when we asked. They serve hot naan to your table. And, to top it off, they have a tasty dessert dish every time. Things that you wouldn't normally find on a buffet bar, like a mango mousse which was rich and creamy or a chocolaty mousse. Service has been excellent - attentive without being intrusive.

We visited during the winter months so the outside seating was not an option even though they have plastic panels up to shield the tables from any wind. Inside, the seating is rather awkwardly arranged. The buffet is set up near the door but you walk past a long bar to find a few tables arranged by the windows and one larger table in an alcove.

The price is good - $9 for the lunch buffet.

When we were walking out I noticed that the sanitation grade had been downgraded to 85. I don't normally eat in places that aren't sanitation grade A. I didn't change my rating based on the sanitation grade but am mentioning it in all fairness to others. I did look up the violations and saw that the salad must have been removed from the buffet because they didn't have proper cooling and sneeze guards. The other violations were about proper heating of veggies, proper strength of hand cleaner, etc.

• Visited December 2013
Virginia
“Great food, all else left wanting”
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Went there on a whim. We waited for 5 min at the door before the greeting lady said hello. She was overwhelmed for sure and seemed to lack training. I think they lacked staff cause she was cleaning tables too. The server was very pleasant and quick. They gave us food we didn't order, though. All of the food was excellent. Mild is more like medium. There is a huge bar in the middle of the place and a disco ball on the ceiling. Ads in the restroom are for a dj party for pop music on the weekend. I think the place has the food quality to succeed but they are unorganized or unsure of what they want to be... Indian restaurant or night club.