“Excellent Flavors”

Mia Francesca Trattoria
Reserve with OpenTable
Mia Francesca Trattoria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #174 of 1,450 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Adjacent to the Renaissance Hotel
Description: Mia Francesca Trattoria -Tuscan Italian restaurant – located in North Hills – Raleigh, NC invites you to come and experience truly authentic, made from scratch, farm to table Italian cuisine. At Mia Francesca our chefs cultivate the freshest ingredients to bring you what true Northern Italian casual fine dining is – fresh, local ingredients, rustic, and made from scratch. Stepping into Mia Francesca Trattoria is like stepping back in time and space to Northern Italy near Tuscany – where food is and was crafted with simple but creative flavors, where meals were enjoyed with family and friends, and wines and desserts were never skipped – where food is celebrated along with the company of friends and family. At Francesca’s we bring this love of food to North Hills in North Raleigh, adjacent to the Renaissance Hotel.
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Excellent Flavors”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My husband and I went to this restaurant on a Thursday night. The atmosphere is awesome, clearly someone put a lot of thought into the theme. I would say they are going for "casual upscale" here. No tablecloths but kind of kigh prices for simple pasta dishes. I went with the gnocci and it was heavenly. The sauce was excellent full of flavor and the pasta was cooked to perfection. My husband went with a chicken dish and his was also delicious and a very generous portion. We will return.

• Visited January 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina
“A mixed bag at Mia”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The evening started off badly when we had to wait five minutes for anyone to show up at the host station. Then the phone rang and the manager came running and talked on the phone for another three or four minutes while the line forming behind us was getting audibly angry. There was even a woman walking with two canes who was kept waiting while the manager chatted away. He didn't even bother to apologize for our wait when he seated us. And this was the manager, so the expectations were low at that point. However, we did get a very good server named Dawn. We each ordered a Francesca salad which was cold, crisp and tasty. Dawn suggested a very good wine for me. The entrees were almost polar opposites. The spaghetti and meatballs were scrumptious, but the quattro formaggi pizza was totally tastless and soggy. If I hadn't been very hungry, I would not have eaten it. I wound up taking three quarters of it home and throwing it out the next day. So Mia Francesca gets an average review from me. There are too many other places to get good Italian food in Raleigh for me to return here, My high rating for service is for Dawn, not for the poor service we got before we were seated.

• Visited December 2012
Justin H, General Manager at Mia Francesca Trattoria, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to send us your feedback. Without it I would not have learned about your negative experience. I am very sorry that we have let you down.

I am sorry we kept you waiting last night at the host stand; we had a computer crash and I was talking with our computer support team attempting to get the system back up and running – not the ideal start of a Saturday night. That was absolutely no excuse not to acknowledge your arrival and let you know we would be right with you. I am very sorry.

The lady you mentioned with the two canes, is one of our extremely fun regular guests. I cannot use her full name for privacy reasons, but “Ms. R” usually likes one of our tables in the main dining room, which is where we had her reservation setup.

However, on this night she found out that we did not have a private group in our upstairs wine cellar mezzanine and wanted to be sat up there since she had her daughter with her – for a “rare visit” she told me. Our hosts were getting her setup up there, while I was on the phone with technical support; I then assisted her upstairs, before returning to that pesky computer situation, which unfortunately I worked on for the next hour. She is a fantastic lady and we wanted to honor her request of an upstairs table. I am sorry you felt we kept her waiting.

At Francesca's we pride ourselves on providing fantastic made from scratch authentic Italian cuisine and service levels that are second to none. We have not lived up to that goal with you and I am deeply sorry. Those are not the standards you deserve or that we hold ourselves up to and makes last night's experience completely unacceptable.

I would be glad to reach out to you by phone if you prefer. I certainly do not want this experience to be the final summation of Mia Francesca for you. We would love and welcome the opportunity to earn your future patronage in any way we could.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know where we fell short. It is because of you that we will fix this issue and never let it happen again.
North Carolina
“Long time Mia fan disappointed”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Having lived in Chicago and been a Mia Francesca fan for many, many years, I was ecstatic when I found out a Mia Francesca was now in Raleigh. Sadly, it was Mia in name only. It had none of the uniquely awesome characteristics of its hometown locations in Chicago. The location here is beautiful, but not as cozy, and I feel like the goal here was to be focused on looking "high end" than to focus on service and a unique experience. The locations in Chicago are small have a great family feel and no request is ever out of the question. You almost feel like you are at a dinner party at someone's home and I remember always being told, "if it's in our kitchen or bar, then we can do it", because their menu always changes, so why not. You could go and hardly ever have the same thing. Or always have the same thing, even if it's not on the menu..as long as they have it. This is NOT the Mia Francesca of Chicago, just an Italian restaurant with the Mia name and menu resembling.

On our much anticipated visit in Raleigh, we went for an early dinner on a Friday night with our 3 year old. As mentioned earlier, it's very nicely done inside and I was still excited as we were seated, but quickly after, the love affair stopped. Our server was nice, but did not give us specials or make recommendations. He only told us what wasn't available. The menu looked to be standard (i.e. not the "flex" menu I was used to). When asked if we could have a bowl of freshly grated parm for our cheese loving daughter to sprinkle on her pasta, we were told no. Only that he would bring the grater and we could say "when". I was used to feeling adventurous with the Mia menu, mixing a bit with ingredients I love but don't have at home, that are on the menu but not all in one dish. That is part of what makes Mia so much fun (and makes you tip very well!). When we noticed that the table behind us had bread and again...we have a hungry 3 yr old...so we asked if we could have some. Rather than "of course, sorry I forgot", we got "umm...yeah, I guess I can go get some for you". Lastly, our food did not come out together with enough time between that I begged my husband and daughter to go ahead and start without me. How can the kitchen be that backed up at and if you are looking for a good restaurant, then this is okay, but it's NOT the Mia Francesca that I love, love, love and visit every time I'm in Chicago. Very far from it. They have a long way to go in staff training. Your staff can make or break you, even if the food is good. This Mia is a long enough drive and there are plenty of awesome restaurants between us and them that I don't see us making the driving and cost investment again. I'll just wait until I go back to Chicago. Very bummed.

North Carolina
“Great service but uneven food”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Good atmosphere and great service but the dishes we got varied wildly in quality. Our appetizers were excellent .... Mussels are served in a thick spicy tomato sauce and could be your main meal and the risotto was cooked right. Now, risotto is difficult to do so we were expecting great meals. The entrees were HUGE ( why do they think heaps of food is at all appetizing? ), the pasta was over cooked, the chicken was over breaded. Amazing it all came out of the same kitchen. I might return to give them another try but maybe not ... there so many good, consistent restaurants to choose from.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“a great place to sit back an relax..”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

have been there on 2 occasions...and MJ the bartender is the best..great service and smile..he makes a wonderful chocolate martini...i got aa tiramisu during my last visit..it was to die for....i shared it with two others....