“Excellent fast food”

Pei Wei Asian Diner
Ranked #443 of 1,483 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Food is prepared to order and delicious. A lot better than I anticipated. My only grouch was that there was a little too much onion... Not a big issue though.

Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Quick. Fresh. Tasty.
Delicious lettuce chicken wrap, shrimp pad Thai, and kids sweet-and-sour chicken. Surprised to find out it's owned by PF Changs.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I gave Pei Wei a 3/5 not for it's service, which was good, but for it's generic and unimaginative offerings. We (ever the cheapskates...) chose Pei Wei as a dining venue because we got a BOGO coupon from Facebook and having never eaten there before, we decided to give it a try. A look at the menu before we went was honestly a boring experience. Lettuce wraps and dull sounding same-old same-old wok dishes along with a few side items like egg rolls or wontons are the general offerings. But, we decided to give it a try anyway so off we went.

The staff was nice although the ordering process was strange, they have several doors in which to enter and several sets of registers, and we came in on the to-go side unknowingly. After finally getting to the right registers we ordered our dishes, paid, and were given a red plastic table number so that our food would be brought out to us when it was ready. At this point I kind of began thinking of Pei Wei as the Cici's Pizza of Chinese food, which is basically what it is but with more quality ingredients.

At the condiment and silverware station they had a shelf of different sauces (red pepper, Asian spicy mustard, and soy sauce) and a basket of fortune cookies. We took a few jars of sauce to our table and then waited about ten minutes for my food to arrive, and then waited about five minutes more for my husbands to arrive. Kind of irksome, it's a pet peeve of mine for a restaurant to bring one person's food out before another, but again this isn't a fancy dining establishment so it's to be expected.

One thing I like about their menu is the option to choose your meat first and then choose what flavor you want. I got the Orange Peel sauce with crispy chicken which is served with carrot slices, snap peas, and scallions although I didn't find many scallions in the dish. It was good, but nothing in the dish stood out to me. My husband got the Spicy Korean sauce with shrimp - he said mine was better and I had to agree because the sauce was vaguely bitter. One thing I will say for them in their favor is that their rice is the exact consistency that I always strive to achieve but never quite make it - just dry enough so that it's not mushy feeling and clumped together well enough to eat with chopsticks.

We probably will not be going back to Pei Wei again without some kind of excellent promotional price for two reasons: You can get better local Asian food at a non-chain restaurant and because it's expensive for what it is and there are a lot of other restaurants I would consider eating at that have lower prices.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Love that you can choose the sauce and meat (chicken, steak, or shrimp) for each entree. We always get Mongolian beef and it's excellent. My daughters love chicken lo mein but not with their sauce. We always order chicken lo mein with Mongolian sauce. Just recently switched to two different entree sizes. They have the new drink machine that has 100+ options. Great atmosphere with a casual side. The only down side is their grade-low A.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We have dined-in at Pei Wei several times and always enjoyed it. We decided to try the carry-out experience and found Mr. Hyde. First, we ordered on-line hours before pickup and hoped that meant it would be on-time. Disavow yourself of that expectation. The order was very late. Second, they got the dishes right but gave us the smaller portion and charged for the larger that was ordered. Third, the entire process was a disorganized mess. There are two ways to get to the carry-out area. You can go through the dine-in line or use the carry-out entrance. This made it a confusing mess as no one knew who was next. Last, the food suffers from the carry-out experience. Part of the enjoyment when dining in is the presentation and freshness. You get none of that in carry-out and the result is a below average meal. Stay with the dine-in and I think you will enjoy Pei Wei. But say no to carry-out.