“A Definite Stop for Dessert!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of PieBird - CLOSED

PieBird
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Description: At PieBird, our mission is to make and sell the finest quality, all-natural pies. We use the best, locally produced ingredients available. This allows us to make pies that not only taste great but are good for you too. We are long-time residents of the Oakwood neighborhood and are proud to be retailers in this beautiful, historic neighborhood of Raleigh.
Cary, North Carolina
“A Definite Stop for Dessert!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

We met some friends here who suggested this spot. Quaint little restaurant in the middle of a nice neighborhood. Outdoor seating is fun for people watching, on the sidewalk. I fell in love with the Honey and Sea Salt pie so much so that I bought all the ingredients to make it myself, and I typically don't bake. It was fresh and they have a varied selection of pies and toppings. French pressed coffee and wine too! Great casual atmosphere with couch and bar seats as well and freindly staff.

• Visited January 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Nice atmosphere and fun change of pace”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We came here on a suggestion from a friend and were pleased with our supper, though I would recommend not going as late in the evening as their specials were depleted before we could sample. The pies we ordered were tasty and the salad very fresh. Our server was helpful and the atmosphere was homey. Would like to try again.

Visited March 2012
Raleigh, NC
“Going Back Again (and again)!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife and I went to Piebird in December and thoroughly enjoyed our evening. There was live music in the front corner of the restaurant, a good bar crowd, and an overall nice vibe in the restaurant. Piebird was serving a Lobster Pie that night. I asked the waitress if the lobster was fresh and she said, "Well they were crawling around in the kitchen earlier today!". Sold. And it was delicious. My wife had the traditional Chicken Pie that was equally as tasty. There was a nice craft beer selection on the menu as well. We are already planning a return trip. I have told all my friends they must check this place out they won't be disappointed.

• Visited December 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Disappointing and Bland”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Both the selection and food did not meet expectations. It was a plain place with limited menu with rather bland food.

• Visited November 2012
Raleigh
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

My wife and I were excited to take our first trip to PieBird. We're both British expat's who miss good old pie and mash from our home country so finding a restaurant that specialized in the subject was certainly intriguing.

The menu itself is a little basic. We were hoping for more creativity with some of the choices while the prices were completely overpriced considering what was eventually served up.

The first disappointment was that there was no mash on the menu. A real loss! Instead, the closest thing I could get was butternut squash. Okay, maybe that would be acceptable but then I was amazed to see it come out before the entree almost as though it were an appetizer. I've never been to a restaurant that brings out their sides without the main course. The dish itself was a disaster. Little cubed pieces of butternut positively drowning underneath a mountain of butter and oil which left a sickly sweet taste in my mouth. I couldn't believe it.

Next up was the main course. I ordered the classic 'Chicken Pot Pie' while my wife ordered the 'Curried Vegetable.' My first observation was that my pie could have done with longer in the oven. The pie crust was not browned anywhere near enough leaving it white and without that sumptuous crunch which is vital to any good pie. The crust itself appeared only on the top of the pie which was a disappointment as I was hoping my filling would be fully enclosed within an all round pie.

Let's move on to the filling. Essentially Heinz chicken soup warmed up. That's the taste it left me with. The chicken was shredded which stunned me. Where were the succulent pieces of chicken breast that should be essential in any chicken pie - especially one which costs $12? There was a distinct lack of seasoning in the filling which just allowed the chicken to overwhelm the vegetables which accompanied it. I had to shake black pepper onto every mouthful. A complete disaster.

My wife barely touched her curried vegetable pie. The potatoes and the cauliflower were grossly undercooked leaving her just a few other vegetables to enjoy for our money. The filling was otherwise tasteless. There was a bit of heat to the curry but that was it's only redeeming quality.

Our waitress was friendly and attentive but I was surprised that she didn't pick up on the half-eaten dishes that were collected. We decided to skip dessert pie due to the letdown of the entrees. We paid our bill and left never to return. A real letdown as the concept is really good. The food was just lazily cooked and overpriced.

• Visited December 2012