“Battle of the fried chicken: Beasley's vs. Smithfields”

Beasley's Chicken & Honey
Ranked #10 of 1,451 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
USA-NC
“Battle of the fried chicken: Beasley's vs. Smithfields”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I'm all about the best fried chicken, and so I begin my search! Today it is Beasley's Chicken and Honey. I ordered the white meat chicken, mashed Yukon potatoes and biscuits to get a taste of what this Ashley C. famous restaurant had to offer. I wish the waiter would have been better, because I told him I wanted to try their best selling 2 sides, and he couldn't help me. Really?
The restaurant: the menus are written on the wall and all the chairs are stools with no backs, so I would have to say that I wouldn't bring any older relatives (uncomfortable) or overweight friends (not a big seat). Good for restaurant turnover as it's not comfortable enough to linger.
Now the food: All the sides are separate. Chicken: Crispy skin, a lot of meat to the breast, but served warm, not hot. Mashed potatoes--homestyle with big chunks with a small amount of gravy--good--definitely tasted like home. Biscuits--big and fluffy-you get 3 per order and I could only eat 1. Probably the best thing I ate. Price for all? About $16. Winner? Smithfields. Crispy skin, a lot of meat and I could pour some honey over to taste about the same. No mashed, but the potato salad is great. No biscuits, but hush puppies. And for $16 I could feed an entire family. Conclusion: carry out the biscuits from Beasley's and have the chicken from Smithfields.

• Visited August 2014

• Hebrew first
Martinez, Georgia
“The chicken was good but expecting more...”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

On our recent visit to Raleigh, NC my sister insisted that we eat at Beasley's Chicken & Honey. We ordered a carry-out consisting of chicken, beets, macaroni and cheese, cream greens and biscuits. The chicken was good, I was expecting more honey flavor on the chicken, there was honey but ever so faint. The greens were different but good, the biscuits were very good and buttery ( I really liked the biscuits)the mac & cheese was ok. To be fair, after getting the food, it cooled before we could eat it. We will have to go and eat in the restaurant. Overall, good eats but a little on the expensive side.

• Visited August 2014
New York City, New York
“It all looks good--and is.”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Our first taste of North Carolina. One of those restaurants where you cannot decide what to get because everything looks so good, and you risk over-ordering. We did not, but were pretty full at the end. The fried chicken was delicious, as were the sides of potatoes and mac & cheese. We wanted to try the dessert but we were too full. Next time. Fun atmosphere, and nice staff. Yes, it is a bit of a wait on the weekends, but not a crazy one. And worth it.

• Visited July 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best chicken ever!”
Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

Had chicken and waffles--yum. My husband loved the chicken biscuit. We did a trio of sides with beets, Mac and cheese and green cabbage slaw. While all were delicious, my favorite was the beets Will definitely come back!

Cary, North Carolina
“Good food and fun atmosphere”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Based on the name and look from the outside, I was expecting more of a true southern diner. This is much more of an open-air, modern, hipster type place, so I was a little concerned that I had dragged my kids, my parents, and my 90 year old grandmother there. (Metal stools with no backs and loud open spaces are not the best for 90 year old grandmas!) However, the food was so awesome that everyone left happy. The menu board makes it a little difficult to study and decide on what to order. I saw several things AFTER I ordered that I didn't notice before. BUT the tried-and-true chicken and waffles were delicious! As was Grandma's pot pie. I love, love, loved the pimento mac and cheese. Though I only had beer, the selection was good, and the full bar and drink menu was impressive. Service was a bit slow but it was a busy Saturday afternoon. I would definitely go back and take other out-of-towners. Fun place.

• Visited July 2014