“GOOD CHICKEN, UNIQUE SIDES”

Beasley's Chicken & Honey
Ranked #11 of 1,465 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Raleigh, North Carolina
“GOOD CHICKEN, UNIQUE SIDES”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

PROS- moist, juicy, flavorful chicken drizzled with honey, market fresh greens salad
CONS-pimento mac and cheese, menu written on chalkboard wall in back of restaurant

I love traditional southern mac and cheese but this mac is different. It has a very strong pimento flavor. Not being from the south, I had never heard of pimento cheese so the sharp tangy flavor was foreign and unappetizing to me. However, the texture was good.

The grilled chicken salad with chickpea dressing was a bit grainy and not very tasty.

The fried chicken biscuit had a very tangy, almost acidic honey mustard sauce on it.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the fried chicken is the star of the show. The market fresh greens salad is tasty and large enough to be an entree on its own.

Community seating table in the middle of the place for about 20 people (long picnic table style), individual tables on the perimeters of the restaurant. Some diners being seated before us declined the communal tables but if you're ok with sitting elbow-to-elbow with strangers then I guess it could be a good place to meet new people.

Overall, food was solid if you know what to order, service was excellent. There isn't a waiting area so plan on standing outside until it's time to dine. That was ok for us as the weather was nice. I will definitely go back, but not for the PIMENTO mac and chz.

• Visited May 2014

• Hebrew first
Woodridge, Illinois
“Great Chicken and Southern Sides!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I went to Beasley's for a work dinner. All their chicken was served on the bone and I hate the though of eating chicken that way. But I thought out of the box and I tried it! It was AMAZING! The chicken was so juicy and crispy I never even got down to the bone part. Being from Chicago I tried things that I have only seen in NC. The french fried grits - OMG.... I was so closed minded - because I had never had grits before, but again I tried them and they were awesome! The mac & cheese is not your typical, but again very good. If you want a good southern flair with amazing food try Beasley's. It changed the way I think about chicken and grits!

Visited June 2014
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Yummy”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We came here for an early dinner and got chicken and waffles, market salad and meatloaf, all very good and tasty. The family style type service with everyone sitting next to each other was a neat experience, got to talk to some nice people.

• Visited September 2013
West Milford, New Jersey
“comfort food”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Another one of James Beard award winning chef Ashley Christensen's joints in downtown Raleigh. My wife and I came here for lunch on a recent trip and we definitely enjoyed it. I had the chicken biscuit while she had the chicken and waffles. I preferred mine to hers as the picked green tomatoes really made the chicken biscuit stand out. Both were pretty good, the staff was great and the food came out super fast (literally like 4 minutes). The only problem is that the joint can get loud, doesn't have the most comfortable seating, and has a chalkboard menu so people are always standing up trying to check it out...

• Visited June 2014
Hillsborough, North Carolina
“Disappointing...”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

First time at this restaurant and I must admit it is rare for me to write a review based on a one time experience; but I didn't have any problems and I felt the wait staff was attentive despite the extremely casual atmosphere Ashley has created so I feel justified to render an opinion after just one meal. I was talked into ordering the Chicken and Waffles. I also ordered 3 sides also so I could have a good sampling. The fried chicken was good, not great. I am not a fried chicken fan but this was not greasy and was ok...and actually a little dry and lacked flavor to be perfectly honest. The waffle was rubbery and tasteless. I ordered the Pimento Mac & Cheese and thought it to be quite generic. I also ordered a side of the biscuits. Wish I hadn't. They were as hard as a rock and tough. The dough was obviously overworked and then thrown into a pan (yes they cut them into triangles) and were absolutely dreadful! Thankfully my third side was the mashed potatoes and gravy. That was the only thing I finished. I saw no reason to order dessert as I was disappointed with everything else so I have nothing to say on that front. I was impressed to see my favorite champagne on the wall (yes, on the wall as the owner is too cheap to even print a menu), Ruinart Rose, but couldn't get a bottle and ended up with two glasses of an Australian sparkling. My waitress was extremely nice and I would give her 5 stars but I see no reason to ever return. Scratch this one off your list...so not worth wasting a Sunday afternoon unless you like mediocrity.

• Visited June 2014