“Fried chicken is hard to beat!”

Beasley's Chicken & Honey
Ranked #10 of 1,451 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Ft Worth
“Fried chicken is hard to beat!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I split: we ordered the white meat fried chicken/waffle/honey ($13), mixed greens ($3.50), pintos ($3.50), and peanut butter pie ($5.75). The chicken/waffle was amazing!! The chicken was hot, fresh, perfectly fried and drizzled with honey. Wow, the best fried chicken I'd had in a long time. The mixed greens (spinach, tomato, red onion, balsamic) (salad) were good but nothing special. I've had better pintos. The peanut butter pie slice was small and had a chocolate sauce garnish (not a true sauce like the menu hinted). The first bite or two were great rich peanut butter flavor but subsequent bites were just sweet but not that flavorful.
Atmosphere was very casual. You sit on backless short metal stools which were hard on our almost-40 year old backs. The tables are close together or even shared so you end up listening to other peoples' conversations.
Go for the chicken & waffle! Hard to beat!

• Hebrew first
United States
“won't take reservations”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

4 of 4 stars (excellent casual dining).

(see explanation of ratings below)

One of several very popular dining spots founded by Chef Ashley Christensen. Also, one of that growing number of restaurants who just won't take reservations (no matter how much you try to bribe them).

I have waited more than an hour for a table here, but on this night (a Monday at 6:30) there was no wait.

Allow 40-50 minutes (no dessert).

Cost: about $20-$25 per person (one drink, no dessert, gratuity not included).

Be sure to stop by Fox Liquor Bar (under Beasley's) for some great cocktails.

About my ratings:

Only fine dining establishments can garner five stars. Until TripAdvisor realizes that a fast food joint cannot possibly be ranked equally with a $100 per person place, I need to draw the line somewhere. If we were only talking about the quality and presentation of the food, it would be a different story. But, as we know, TripAdvisor's rankings take into account the entire dining experience.

Therefore, I divide restaurants into three categories (and I wish TripAdvisor would do the same):

1) fast food and "fast-casual" (no table service )

2) casual and "posh casual" dining (table service)

3) fine dining (linen napkins, no plastic cups, no TV's in dining room, typically more expensive than casual dining)

Fine dining can earn a max of five stars. Casual dining can earn a max of four stars. Fast food can earn a max of three stars.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Yum! Yum!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I've eaten here twice in three days. But what can I say-the food is delicious. My son and I ordered chix and waffle, pimento mac and cheese custard, and beuregard sweet potatoes. EVERYTHING we ate was delicious. The pimento mac and cheese is the BOMB! waffles were definately fresh and made from scratch- not frozen. The sweet tea (black tea) is a little bitter to my taste so the second visit I ordered a bottled soda. Hubby ordered meatloaf and mashed potatoes and said it was awesome. Everyone is really friendly. Even when they are crowded your wait is never too long. Awesome for couples, families, friends, etc.

1 Thank Rhopar33
Topsham, Maine
“Great!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

At lunch, I had the fried chicken on a waffle with honey. I was very pleasantly surprised at how delicious it was. We were too full for desert, so went back after at another restaurant to sample the deserts. All were excellent.

Visited April 2013
“Really Good Modern Southern Classics”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Although Chicken and Waffles does not have its origin in North Carolina, the fried chicken sure tasted like my NC great grandfather used to make! Good things in summary: 1) Outstanding menu (cannot wait to try the creamed collards) 2) Mason jars to drink from 3) Interesting local cocktails. Not so good: 1) Cannot make reservations (not much good space to wait, but okay if it is a sunny day and you feel like standing on a street corner) 2) Sitting at communal tables 3) Bourbon cocktail that promised a bacon flavor did not deliver the promised pork. Service was very good. They did not pack my soggy waffle in my to go bag which greatly saddened me when I went to the fridge for a midnight snack. All that being said, I cannot wait to go back!