“Great Local Brew”
Review of red monkey tavern

red monkey tavern
Ranked #182 of 1,455 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Ohio
“Great Local Brew”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I sat in the bar area after having a bit of a problem asking about Happy Hour specials with the hostess. When I asked about the specials, she didn't seem to understand my question and kept telling me that there are no Happy Hour specials. I knew there was (but didn't remember the specifics), so I finally just told her I'd sit in the bar area. She was very nice but just didn't seem to understand what I was asking.

The service at the bar was exceptional. They have local brews on tap, and I chose the "Angry Angel" after a recommendation from the bartender. It's a Kölsch style beer and was very good. Since it was Tuesday, all sandwiches and burgers were 1/2 off for the Happy Hour special (4-6 pm). I ordered the BBQ Beef sandwich, and I was glad I did. However, the fries that came with it were cold and just yuck. But the sandwich and the beer made up for it.

I'll definitely come back here the next time I'm at the mall. And I'll sit in the bar area again due to the great service and recommendations.

Raleigh, NC, USA
“Extremey Mediocre”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

My bride and I stopped in for lunch while shopping at Crabtree. Her grilled chicken sandwich was dry and tough. Were it not for the marbled rye and tomato, my chicken salad sandwich would have had no flavor at all. The accompanying "house salad" consisted of a few lettuce leaves, some shredded carrots, and a couple pieces of cucumber. Factor in the noise, weak iced tea, and slow service. Enough said.

Pawleys Island, South Carolina
“Wish I'd ordered the Monkey!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was at the Crabtree Mall starved from my 225 mile drive without eating a bite, so I decided to splurge and order the dinner Cobb salad with Filet & Shrimp on top! Sounded great! Even @ $15.95. WELL........ First I ordered dressing on the side and it came drenched, soaked & swimming in it. Next, I've never had a Cobb salad that came tossed? All Cobb salads I've had are separated into individual sections, that's what makes them a Cobb. Plus NO eggs or blue cheese crumbles?
OK I CAN MAKE LEMONADE FROM LEMONS! So on a positive note ..........The honey, lime vinegarette was tasty (jus too much of it) It was served quickly by a very nice bartender, the atmosphere on their second level was nice quiet and quaint! The burger the person near me was having looked good, and it was 1/2 price burgers on Tuesdays. Wish I would of ordered the burger or the monkey or just the filet & shrimp? Maybe I'll try it again next time I'm up this way? Nice Folks!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Outstanding Food and Service”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Our granddaughter recommended we try the Red Monkey as she had eaten there before and loved it. We are pleased she made the recommendation. The food was excellent, and the variety was amazing. Our server, Kevin, who was also excellent, described the food as upscale tavern. Our granddaughter had a teriffic duck enchilada. I can't remember seeing that anywhere else, and we eat out a lot. I had shrimp & grits - they were great. The soups and the lobster BLT were also wonderful. We will be back again!

• Visited November 2012
Rolesville, North Carolina
“Loved the Atmosphere”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My wife and I found the food, service and atmosphere very good. She had the BBQ Brisket and I had the Thai Chicken Wrap. My wife said this was the best brisket she's had. Plenty of good artisanal beers to choose from. The boothes were nice but we loved the big chairs. We'll be back.

• Visited November 2012