“Disappointed”

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Turkish
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Allow yourself to be transported to Turkey by the rich flavors and intoxicating smells of authentic Turkish cuisine in our ethnic restaurant. One must only travel as far as historic Blake Street in downtown Raleigh, NC to obtain their pass to the Mediterranean. Owner Arif Denk, a native of Troy, provides his guests with the opportunity to experience the warm hospitality of his hometown where he learned the secrets of authentic Turkish cuisine firsthand. Upon entering you will feel as if you have stepped off a boat onto an authentic beautiful Turkey Mediterranean Restaurant.
Reviewed September 2, 2012

It took me a while to write this review as it was a very disappointing Saturday evening dinner for us. We first were introduced to Troy during a Triangle Food Tour. The sample foods were delicious and the staff was attentive. We enjoyed the sample foods and decided we wanted to get back for dinner. A few weeks ago, my husband and I went downtown for dinner - what a great location for a restaurant and the area was bustling with everyone out for a Sat night. We saw a couple eating at an outside table from Troy and we were a bit surprised when we walked in to see no one else was in the restaurant.
The service was incredible slow even though there were only 4 patrons (2 unique tables). We each ordered an appetizer and then an entree. My appetizer, the lentil soup came out and was delicious. We enjoyed some of the bread and oil for dipping. When our entrees were brought out, my husband's appetizer was also brought to the table? How confusing is this? We were disappointed because if anything, bring us both our appetizer and let us enjoy the environment and wait for the entree. Instead, I felt like we were at a chain restaurant where the food is just heaved on the table one after the other.
I was not very adventurous so my chicken kebob with some rice was very average. My husband was not quite satisfied with his meal - neither the appetizer with beef and lamb or his entree.
We were very disappointed and will not go back. We love to support a new restaurant and a local business but the prices do not support the food or quality of the chef expertise.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Distasteful food and pizza did not have any vegetables on it whereas this was stated on menu. That night seemed to have only one waiter serving the entire restaurant and service was absolutely HORRID. When asked to talk to the manager re the food concerns he outright REFUSED to come out the kitchen. Asked for feta cheese for the pizza as was stated on menu and the waiter said the chef gave him the plate and "kicked him out of the kitchen. Never had an experience anything close to that at a restaurant and will never plan to go back. Waiter told us himself to write comment online and here it is! I hope they learn a little bit better how to do business!

Reviewed May 13, 2012

This place is a distant second to Bosphorous in Cary in terms of quality of entrees and Turkish food in general. Appetizers are OK, entrees are not exciting, desserts are OK. The bread isn't as good as it should be. The location is cool and the interior is nice.

Reviewed April 29, 2012

My family has been to Troy several times and it's great to see that it seems to have caught on. The restaurant is pleasant for couples and larger groups, and we've been pleased with almost every menu choice we've tried. Families would do well here, too, but few seem to try it.

Given the Mediterranean menu, it's a great place to bring a vegetarian since there are several veggies choices in each menu category. There's even a terrific appetizer sampler that's completely vegetarian.

Less adventuresome diners will be happy with the delicious Turkish pizza. We've never had it the traditional way with an egg on top, that that is available here.

City Market is a fun and historic place in Raleigh and a great place to people-watch. It was a smart location for Troy to pick since it's not a cookie-cutter restaurant but it's not expensive either. We have no trouble recommending Troy.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

I had heard that the food at Troy Mezze was excellent but that service was a bit slow-- so I was cautious and opted to bide my time with some appetizers and such. But I was either there on a super-expeditious day, or my pals had visited on an off-day-- because service was prompt and our food arrived with hardly any wait at all. And it was deliciously fresh and worth the try. I'm already looking forward to returning, if simply because I'm desperate to try their desserts.