“A long, late night in very damp rooms.”

Holiday Inn Raleigh-North
Ranked #25 of 84 Hotels in Raleigh
Greenville, SC
“A long, late night in very damp rooms.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

After driving from Atlanta and Greenville, SC, my sister and I checked in to this hotel with three children at 12:30 a.m. on Friday, July 13th. The front desk clerk, Fran, was extremely nice and helpful. She found us adjoining rooms on the 4th floor. We dragged a trolley full of luggage to our rooms, walked in, began unloading the trolley and were almost blown over by the awful smell of rotting garbage and mildew. We walked around both rooms and noticed that the carpeting was completely soaked in some areas. In about half an hour we moved to different rooms on the third floor. Our new rooms were also damp with a coating of moisture on everything, but we were so tired we decided to stay. After an incident with the keys and a smoke detector we went to bed at 2:30 a.m. The moisture problem in the room was serious. I am glad we only stayed there one night and would definitely not consider that hotel again. I hope the renovations solve their moisture problem because the people who work there are really nice, especially Fran at the front desk and the hostess in the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh-North, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear tennisarpmom,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your experience with us. We strive to provide quality service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read our staff exceeded your expectations. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and apologize for the unusual condition of the room you received. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will address these to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Joel B
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Lexington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times for business and have never had problems, until my last visit. I had been in my room for about 45 minutes, when a man opened my door and said he was security. He said he had been told there was a problem in my room. Thank goodnes, I had already used the safety bar on the door and he could not get inside the room. I am a Priority Club member and had been given two drink tickets to use in the restaurant. I was so shaken and scared that I did not leave the room that night. I immediately called the front desk to report it and the girl said they had not sent anyone to my room. I asked her to investigate and let me know what their findings were. At about 10:00, I had not heard from them, so I called the front desk and again told my story, to a different person, who had not heard of the problem. They also said they would investigate and let me know. I heard nothing. When I checked out the next morning, I asked what they had found, and again, the clerk and not heard of the incident. I relayed the story again, and she said they would let me know something. After being home for two days, I called the hotel and asked what they had found. Again, I was told they had not heard about the incident but she would investigate and call me back. As of this date it has been 13 days since my call, and I have still not heard anything from them. Traveling as a woman, by myself, this has really been a learning experience. I would tell everyone to always use the slide bar, at the top of the door, immediately when entering your room. Had I not, a strange man would have been in my room, and I fear what could have happened!! I really hate this experience, as this is a super hotel for convenience and staying. Not sure if I will stay here again!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank beachgofer
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh-North, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear beachgofer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. We want our guests to have a pleasant and enjoyable experience with us, especially Priority Club members like yourself. I'm sorry to hear about the inconvenience and negative impression you had due to the unfortunate incident you encountered. We always endeavor to ensure that all of our guests' stays are comfortable. Rest assured that issues like these will be looked into. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Lera M
Tarboro, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

My daughter and I went to this hotel because of it's convenience. Our air conditioner was out and it was late at night after driving in from Washington D.C. 90 degree weather. The staff was less than sympathetic. Room was not cool with a.c. running. Changed rooms after front desk questioned my ability to use the controls. Room was moderately clean. No view. Pool dirty. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was decent but 3 staff members standing around chatting and no spoon to be found. For the price we payed service should have been excellent.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Terrible. Dirty. Fuzzy channels. Front desk attendant was cocky and rude. For the money you'd expect a clean room and some good service. Save your money...you can get the same at any cheap hotel. Oh and the fire department right behind was an extra noisy bonus.

Tried to share this feedback with IHG and they scoffed at the feedback. Don't waste your money.

Room Tip: No complimentary breakfast.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank betty j
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh-North, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear betty j,

Thank you for your feedback during your stay. Your comments are truly valuable, as this will give us an opportunity to improve.I'm sorry you received unacceptable service from our staff. I have taken note of your comments and we will address these points to improve upon the service we offer to all our guests.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Irish V
Washington Township, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel for over a week. We enjoyed everything about our stay at this particular Holiday Inn. First of all, the over-all look and feel of the hotel was very pleasing, both in the main lobby, our individual room, and also in the attached restaurant. Our room included a large and extremely comfortable bed, a very large T.V., plenty of extra space, a beautiful bathroom, the extra lounging chair, a nice sized desk, and a sink & vanity just outside the bathroom. Everything was very clean and well maintained. Also, every single person I met who worked here was amazing! Everyone from the GM to the waitresses/bar tenders to the housekeepers were excellent and truly made me feel at home, even though I was 9 hours away from my actual home! Everyone was so helpful and professional, while still showing their personable attitudes in a humorous manor. Any time my fiance or I needed anything, everyone was more than willing to help out. All the Holiday Inn employees were super friendly, great at their individual jobs, and had amazing personalities. The hotel itself is in excellent condition, The food was outstanding; (My fiance is a chef at a four star restaurant, and we ate at the hotel restaurant almost every night without getting tired of the options!) Great location, sitting in the heart of Raleigh, with almost every type of store you can think of within a reasonable distance. I honestly could not have asked for anything more! Excellent. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Nikki B
Jurong, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

Due to a meeting at NCSU, I stayed here for 4 nights. Clean room, ample parking, safe, very friendly and great staff and good location. I was given a room at the top floor and the bathroom appeared to be renovated recently. Bed was comfortable and lots of pillows. Breakfast was inexpensive ($5 if you order the night before) and a good variety of choices - you can even order how your eggs are cooked - scrambled or suny side up! As a Priority club member, I was given two complimentary drinks. Dinner was nice, good choice of food and the servings are huge indeed! All is well, except for the general ventilation of the builiding - may be due to the fact that it is an old building? I felt that the general ventilation for the 6th floor (especially common corridors and room) is not really good as there is a persistent odour (or sewage). I recalled reading some past reviews about inadequate ventillation and odour. Looking at the building design, there is no window in the room that occupants can open in order to get some external fresh air. Perhaps the hotel could considering retrofitting all rooms with windows that can be open, in order to improve the air exchanges for the room? It will otherwise be a perfect stay for me if there was no ventillation issues!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Zeatin
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Raleigh-North, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear Zeatinm,

Thank you for your review of your stay. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered. I appreciate your suggestions and comments. All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. We strive to provide the best guest experience possible, and may use some of the feedback you’ve provided to further improve our service. I hope you will consider us again when in Raleigh.

Regards,
Brenda J.
Warrensville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

Stayed there over the course of eight weeks for business. The staff was always friendly and attentive. The rooms were always clean and the breakfast buffet was excellent.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business