“Great southern comfort food in Raleigh!”

Relish Craft Kitchen & Bourbon Bar
Ranked #21 of 1,456 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Relish is a restaurant, bar, and gourmet retail market that celebrates a love of food, drink, cooking, and entertaining in an upscale atmosphere without the upscale price tag. We get inspiration from both the traditional “tried and true” recipes and also from the latest food trends to encourage full exploration of the culinary world.
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Great southern comfort food in Raleigh!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Relish is one of our "go to" staples ..from fried black eyed peas to Mac and cheese, fish tacos and grilled cheese with a special kick.. the entire menu is great. We challenge ourselves to try something new every time and are always impressed. Love the live music and outdoor seating ...it's a great place and we highly recommend it !

Morganton, North Carolina
“A Diamond in the Rought”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The concept of this restaurant is great. The idea is perfect, the execution needs help. We visited on Sunday morning at 9am for brunch. We were the first customers. Already, at that time of the morning, the waiter seemed as though he was frazzled. We heard several staff members say they were "short staffed", but in my experience, most restaurants just cover and don't complain. So, the service fell short.
Secondly, I wanted an omelet with pimento cheese and mushrooms. I was immediately told that omelets could only be served as listed on the menu. Would it have been difficult to add mushrooms when mushrooms were listed on another omelet? But alas, I received my omelet sans mushrooms.
The table next to us were sat right after we had gotten our food. That patron, too, tried to order an off menu omelet only to be told that substitutions weren't permitted. After she argued, she was able to get her omelet exactly as she wanted it while I sat eating my mushroomless omelet. The restaurant needs to be more accommodating.

Regardless, the food was good. I'm not sure I'd return, but I would say the restaurant has great potential.

1 Thank lesliecothren
Sharon M, Owner at Relish Craft Kitchen & Bourbon Bar, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
I am so sorry to hear that your experience with us on Sunday fell short! I am most especially frustrated by it because in fact we ABSOULTELY DO allow customers to add mushrooms to omelets and your server was quite mistaken in telling you and your neighbors “no”. We at Relish have worked hard to be as accommodating as we can with additions and substitutions. While it is not as easy for us as say a Moe’s or a Subway to customize each order, we have bent over backwards to handle all reasonable requests—and you are so right, adding mushrooms is a very reasonable request! I also agree that my staff should always take hardships in stride and never let service suffer because we are short handed. In your servers’ defense, we do schedule two servers to open together on Sunday mornings because there is just a lot to prep for the brunch service. One server short may not seem like much, but when it is half of your staff, it can be very hard to recover. I am very thankful that you gave me the exact day and time of your visit so I know exactly who your server was and I will be speaking with him today to let him know more specifically what we can add to menu items and how to handle things more smoothly when his co-workers don’t show up. Thank you so much for your helpful feedback, and I hope you give us another chance!!
Sharon May, Owner
Harrisburg, North Carolina
“Bad Food and Awful Service”
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

I dined here along with my husband and 2 year old while visiting my parents in Raleigh. We thankfully had a reservation as the restaurant was busy on a Saturday night. Hostesses were a nightmare and had no clue where to seat anyone but that was the least of our problems. Our server was rude and abrupt. She asked us to listen up and put my phone away while she was going over the menu and also took a fork away from my daughter who was playing with it. Who does that? Everytime she brought something, she put the dirty tray right on the table in front of my husband. She told us after bringing our drinks, we better order as she has a large party and will be with them at least 15 mins. Again, who says that? The food took 40 mins to come out and we were never offered drink refills only told twice to be patient as I'm sure she could tell we were waiting a long time but never apologized or thanked us for being patient. Who does that? None of us have ever heard a server speak to diners like that. When the food finally came out it was tasteless, room temp and the chicken was chewy and had to be frozen. The fish tacos had no season and the salsa tasted like it was from a jar and watered down. Both my chicken on a salad and the kids chicken was hard to chew and mushy, gross! The fish and chips was so heavily battered with old and stale fries. No bread served with the salads, just 3 fried chips which were greasy and pointless to even serve. With being there already over an hour and 30 mins, we couldn't send anything back. It took forever to get a takeout box and to pay, we just wanted to get out of there. This restaurant is going to get a big wake up call as many diners were frustrated and probably not going return as I know we will never. We even sat with all the dirty plates on the table until we left. There's got to be so many better restaurant choices in Raleigh.

• Visited August 2013
Sharon M, Owner at Relish Craft Kitchen & Bourbon Bar, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
I am so sorry that you had such a terrible experience at Relish Café & Bar on Saturday night. I hate to admit it, but I was easily able to figure out who your server was by your very well written description. I want you to know that our goal is to give our customers top quality products with the very best customer service and it really sounds like we dropped that ball in a large way on Saturday night. I was not at Relish that night, so I can’t really speak to the specifics of your complaints; but I am going to talk to my staff (including a very long conversation with your server) and try to get a handle on where we went wrong. This past Saturday was one of our largest sales days to date and while that is great news for us, I do know that we will have to find a way to handle the crowds without screwing up as badly as we did with your family. I know that you said in your review that you will never be back, but I would love the chance to change your mind about us. If you are willing, I would like to send you a gift card to cover a return visit—I could either hold one at the hostess stand for you to pick up, or if you would like to give me your mailing address, I could send it to you by mail. My email is sharon@relishraleigh.com if you would like to answer me directly. Again, I sincerely apologize for all that went wrong and hope for the chance to make it up to you!
Sharon May, Owner Relish Café & Bar
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Mexican Monday”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The decor is cheerful. I sat by a window. Relish seems to have daily specials. Monday is Mexican Monday. I found the food very fresh and excellent in flavor. Pricing was good. My meal cost $8.50. I met a business colleague for lunch. The server we had was prompt and kept our glasses full.

• Visited July 2013
Syracuse, New York
“Good Food, Lots of Variety”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We went here since my Dad said he like the place. Food was good, plentiful and lots of variety on the menu especially as one of us was a vegetarian. Atmosphere is comfortable laid back dining. Price is reasonable for the quality of the food. I would agree with many of the other reviews that the service was on the slow side, mainly because the bartender was handling all the tables on the bar side of the restaurant. Hostess and bartender were very friendly, luckily we weren't in any hurry so if was fine for us but they should have a little more service available. I would go there again in future Raleigh visits.

• Visited July 2013