“Ginger Ice Cream!!”

David's Dumpling & Noodle Bar
Ranked #63 of 1,487 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Join us at David's Dumpling and Noodle Bar, a new restaurant at the corner of Hillsborough Street and Oberlin Road. This unique eatery is owned and operated by Chef David Mao, a successful restaurant owner and culinary innovator in Raleigh since 1976. Over the years, if you have eaten at the Mandarin House, The Abacus, The Great Mall of China, The China Cafe and Grille and most recently, the Duck and Dumpling, then you have enjoyed David's inspired menus.
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Brought back memories of the "Wild Ginger" in Seattle, though not quite as good overall. The ice cream alone is worth the visit and I would order a whole bowl of the sampler carrot ginger soup if I go back. The dumplings were a little soggy as was the eggplant in my entree. The strips of pork had some fat/gristle here & there, but very tasty entree. I brought my leftovers home to my husband & he loved it. Nice atmosphere & wide variety on menu. Wish they would consider having brown rice.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Two of my friends & I arrived around 8 PM without a reservation on a Friday night and were seated relatively quickly. They have a great beer + wine selection, but no liquor available (only sake-based cocktails). We were offered a small shooter of the carrot ginger soup, which was warm + buttery. We ordered the half fried dumplings as a starter, which were delicious + full of yummy braised, shredded pork + cabbage. I had the chaing mein, which was egg noodles with a meat sauce. My friends had the garlic + ginger chicken & the pork lo mein. Everybody loved their food -- it was all great quality & great flavor without being an oversized portion or overpriced. The chef came out to speak with everybody & offered us a cute little dessert of strawberries. The rest of the staff were very helpful + attentive. Overall, we loved it + will be back in the future.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Ate the Sesame Tofu, came on a triangular plate (very 80s). Dish was a lot of over-fried Tofu (a bit too hard rather than being crisp on the outside) and several spears of brocoli arranged in the corners of triangle plate.

On ordering, I had asked my server "it is served with vegetables?" however on arrival at my table there was just brocoli. I pointed this out to my server and I asked for a salad. I advised my server that I did not want the dairy dressing, unfortunately this did not deter the kitchen from sending a dairy dressing. Pointed this out to my server and then some confusion arose as to whether the crispy wonton was dairy free. Totally rubbish. Quality of food nothing to write home about. Maybe it is certain dishes that are great here, but I don't have the time or the patience to work my way through the menu.

Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

We ordered several assorted dishes and they were exceptional. They brought small taste of a soup as we sat which was great idea. Owner was serving and watching the dining room; great place for Chinese just down the street from NC State! JWatching...out 4 U!!!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

My wife and I were fan's of the chef owners last endeavor. Chef David has hit a homerun with this restaurant. The dining area is clean and attractive. The wait staff was both attentive and informative. The prices were reasonable. My wife found her dumplings to be delicious and my duck was exceptional.

This is a great place for a nice dinner with family and friends. We found there was a combination of college students and others enjoying the food. We will be back soon the check out other dishes.