“Great Asian Food, Great Experience”

David's Dumpling & Noodle Bar
Ranked #53 of 1,490 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Join us at David's Dumpling and Noodle Bar, a new restaurant at the corner of Hillsborough Street and Oberlin Road. This unique eatery is owned and operated by Chef David Mao, a successful restaurant owner and culinary innovator in Raleigh since 1976. Over the years, if you have eaten at the Mandarin House, The Abacus, The Great Mall of China, The China Cafe and Grille and most recently, the Duck and Dumpling, then you have enjoyed David's inspired menus.
Reviewed July 22, 2012

David's Dumpling and Noodle Bar is a great place for Asian food. Atmosphere and service is great, and it is large enough that it seems to never be overrun so you need not worry about a long wait- which for me can kill a dining experience. The shrimp summer rolls are decent but I have had better at Thai restaurants. We had seafood noodle soup, shrimp and scallop chef specialty and veggie pad thai. The pad thai was the weakest- again I will stick to getting Thai food at a Thai restaurant- the the other entrees were top rate. Ginger ice cream was also excellent. As a bonus you will get to meet David as he brings a soup sampler (quite good carrot ginger), comes by to check on your meal and says thank you and good night as you leave- how good is that!? - just like the old days at the Duck and Dumpling. And off street parking near by in a small lot? It was a great dinner as we enjoyed the thunder and lightening storm outside our window that was over when it was time to leave.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

My wife and I absolutely love this restaurant!!! The owner, David, is always there when arrive and greets every customer. Reservations are not needed. The service is outstanding. The food is great and reasonably priced. Today, we had a sample of the carrot soup, delicious. The ginger salad is awesome. I go out to dinner at Davids every 2-3 months, and I have NEVER been disappointed.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

somewhat disappointed overall. Appetizers: fried dumpling with edema and mushrooms (very heavy and not that tasty, sui mai dumplings were also heavy and disappointing). Hubby had ordered the special beef salad, and I had the Pad Thai...we ended up trading dishes. For me, Pad Thai was heavy and greasy, for hubby, the salad was just too light (but I loved it). overall, only average. I'm sure there are excellent dishes on the menu, but first impression, won't go back. Maybe if the wait staff offered some ideas ?

Reviewed May 23, 2012

This restaurant was across the street from my hotel, and it came highly recommended by fellow conference participants. Good building - looks to be original brick on the inside, and we had a great table by the window. Our waitress was incredibly helpful, even giving suggestions. Then, Chef David Mao came by with soup samples to start, and it was outstanding. In fact, everything we had was great, from the stuffed eggplant to the half-fried dumplings to the filet and scallops. Yum!

Reviewed April 2, 2012

Stopped in with my wife for the first time this past weekend and it was great. My wife had the Hot & Sour Soup with Eggplant and I had the Crispy Wontons and Hunam Chicken. Outstanding! What a surprise - those people living around NC State are sure lucky to have such a great restaurant. Chef David Mao is friendly and knows his food. He puts a nice twist on some great standards and you can even watch him cook. We stopped in around 2pm and we can't wait to go back.