“Not A Good Choice”

Extended Stay America - Raleigh - Crabtree Valley
Ranked #63 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed October 17, 2010

In Raleigh on business and chose the Homsetead Crabtree because it was cheap and close. Attempted to make a reservation by phone but kept being put on hold. I walked in for a 1 night stay and lobby was empty. Staff seemed nonchalant. I asked why I kept being put on hold and was told that desk staff doesnt want to risk getting an unfavorable anonymous survey score from corporate for not making reservations properly so they put guest on hold until they hang up! I have never heard anything so ridiculous!

Check in took about five minutes and I was off to my room. Room key did not work so I was back to the front desk to re-key then back to the room. Room did not smell bad so I was off to a good start. Then shut the front door behind me and saw that the 2 sliding mirrored closet doors were completely missing. I was looking straight into a closet with a broken clothing hanger rack. Screw was coming out of it so it was hanging askew. And the iron holder was empty- no iron. Luckily my clothes were laundered elsewhere and already pressed.

I checked for bed bugs and was happy to find none then proceeded to unpack. Dirty carpet so I kept my shoes on. The amenities are bare bones. 2 tiny bars of soap. There were 2 forks and 1 spoon in the silverware drawer and pots and pans in the cabinet. I asked for 2 extra blankets and was told they will have housekeeping bring them later. Stayed gone all day and came in extremely tired at night so the horrible bed wasnt really too much of an issue.

The next morning I called to extend my stay because my meeting was postponed and was told that was fine. Around 10:30am, while in the shower, I hear an incessant banging on the door for 2 to 3 minutes. I eventually come out of the bathroom soaking wet and feeling very angry and see a housekeeper knocking. I shout through the door that I dont need anything and she CONTINUES to knock until I finally open the door and she says to me in broken english "heres the 2 towels you ask for" while looking past me into my room. OH MY GOSH! I did not ask for towels, I asked for blankets and you have got to be kidding me! It's the NEXT DAY! So I start getting dressed.

At 11:01am I have another knock on the door. Again I yell through the door that that I dont need anything but knocking continues until I open it in my towel-fuming mad. This time it is a front desk associate saying "I need payment for this room" while obviously looking past me into the room. I tell her that my credit card is on file and I already called front desk to extend the stay. She says to me "I'll check that and I'll be right back" then turns around and walks away. By now I am considerably more angry. Then I get a phone call in my room saying "ok your credit card went through" and she hangs up. No apologies. Nothing else. For some reason I felt like the staff was checking up on me in a very unpleasant way and since when do you pay with a credit card then get a knock on the door requesting payment?

The room was uncomfortable and visually unappealing but I didnt expect the ritz for $45.99. However I did expect to be treated in a respectful manner and just left alone. The staff treats the guest as a nuisance and customer service is non existent. Don't do it! It doesnt matter how cheap it is. No one should pay to be treated this way.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank ONTHEGO054
tbrinson, Manager at Extended Stay America - Raleigh - Crabtree Valley, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2010

"Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Homestead Raleigh - Crabtree Valley. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

The experience you described is truly regrettable. We strive to ensure that our guests have an exceptional stay. As the Regional manager, I can assure you that I have brought each of the issues you expressed to the attention of our staff.

Let me assure you that your experience is certainly not typical, and that we have put in place measures to ensure that the type of stay you had won't be repeated. Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area."

Reviewed September 28, 2010

I checked in after hours and the front desk person made a photo copy of my driver license and credit card. I asked why he was making the copies because I have never had a hotel do that. He said it was their policy for after hour check in. A week later an EMPLOYEE STOLE my credit card and used it to make a purchase. So, not only do they make the copy of your id and card they KEEP IT, which exposes the customer to identity theft. I have had to contact the authorities (which are doing nothing by the way), dispute the charges, have theft protection put on all credit reporting agencies. The hotel assured me the employee has been terminated, but I would NEVER recommend anyone staying at this hotel. Obviously they are not trustworthy, and the room was not clean

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank ssnc
Reviewed August 11, 2010

speaking of terrible hotels, this one tops the list. it smells, did not get any sleep the night before. told the so called manager and she did nothing to aid...maybe due to the fact she had overcharged my credit and disrupted my trip. and this broad did not want to get me a reciept showing that she OVERCHARGED ME.. do not go to this hotel. only one good thing to say about this stay...check in person was nice......tried to call corp. office and got no response from no one in south carolina...well..i guess calling south carolina says it all.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank JPSMOOTH
Reviewed August 7, 2010

The service here is awful. Desk clerk will verbally harass and backtalk to you. Comforter reeked of urine, was definitely not washed. Hotel looks nice from the outside but is disgusting on the inside. Only good thing was that it's next to the mall.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PantsANB
Reviewed May 31, 2010

I've been staying at this same hotel since Oct 2009 when I'm in need of lodging. I recommend this paparticular hotel to all my family and friends. It's conveniently located, safe, discreet, other guests are friendly. The staff at this particular hotel are the friendliest. Fully equipped kitchens and just an overall wonderful experience. I love it!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 16, 2010

The staff at the desk were all very friendly and eager to please. They have an evening reception monday thru thursday that will leave you with no need to go anywhere else for dinner and serve beer and wine. The buffet breakfast is pretty good too. Rooms are large with nice decor and are very clean. The little convience store was great too, a little expensive but not surprising. Keep up the great job. This is one of the nicer Hilton hotels in the group.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 20, 2010

This hotel looks nice on the outside, and the staff is friendly. That is about where the good stops. Our room looked clean on first inspection, but upon a closer look, we notice the toilet was not clean and the shower had some mold on it. I'm not one to complain, so we just cleaned it up ourselves and tried to get some sleep. The place was unbelievably noisy inside and out. Inside, our AC was a rattle box. Every time it kicked on, it would wake me up. Worse than that, there were crowds of people hanging out in the parking lot and outside of rooms until well after midnight. It was a terrible nights sleep, and made my long drive the next day miserable. To top it all off, they wanted $5 for wifi internet. This was the first and last time with this chain for me.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple