“This Hotel is infested with Bed Bugs”

Extended Stay America - Raleigh - Crabtree Valley
Ranked #65 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed November 25, 2008

I stayed from Nov 19th -21st.
The room appeared to be fine, space was suitable, everything seemed fine. I went to sleep the first night to awake with a few bumps on my legs, did not think anything about it went to my workshop. The next night I went to bed, when I awoke the following morning I was covered in bumps/bites. I could not figure out what had went on. When I went to bed I was fine, and I never felt anything bite me. I work for a local Health Department, so when I returned to work with all of these bites on me, my supervisors were outraged. I was asked to see our Health Dept Provider because everything that i had tried to put on my body was not helping, I felt like I could literally scratch my skin off. I was then sent home to apply ointment to my bite covered body, and told that a complaint would be made to environmental health for that county. So I was out of work for a whole day, when i returned back to work on Tuesday I was told that an investagation had proven that the bed that I had slept in was infested with Bed Bugs. So now I feel I have to check everything that came in contact with this hotel. Needless to say I will not be staying here again, nor anyone I know.
Karen Suggs

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank karensuggs30
eswain, Manager at Extended Stay America - Raleigh - Crabtree Valley, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to post your opinion regarding your recent experience at the Homestead Studio Suites in Raleigh via the TripAdvisor website. Feedback such as yours is instrumental in maintaining our envied level of service within this industry.

The resurgence of bed bugs is not just a challenge for hotels, but also a challenge for the transportation industry and all types of accommodations where the population is in transit. With the increase in movement of luggage in airports and other high volume areas, these insects are brought in many times by the guests, even to luxury resorts, cruise ships and hospitals.

We are truly sorry to read of your misfortune. We are complimented daily on our service, cleanliness, and amenities so I take your concerns very, very seriously. Your comments will be fully researched and all findings will be acted upon swiftly and accordingly. Our management team is committed to meeting and exceeding our guests’ expectations and appreciates any opportunity to bring our well established, dedicated level of service even higher. Becoming America’s number one family of extended stay hotels has given us the opportunity to welcome millions of valued patrons, like you, into our nearly 700 properties across North America. Our continued success is based on the simple belief that we reached that achievement one guest at a time. It’s a process we believe symbolizes our pledge to provide clean, comfortable rooms at affordable prices. It’s always an honor to hear from our guests when we are doing a good job, but it’s a privilege to hear from a guest who cares enough to want us to do it even better.

We apologize for your inconvenience and wish for you to contact us directly if you would like to discuss your situation with us in more detail. Please visit our contact page here: http://www.extendedstayhotels.com/Contact/Main.asp and one of our customer care representatives will reach out to you directly.

Reviewed September 5, 2008

We Stayed for 8 days the room had gum on the bedside electrical plate. The bed was a little on the hard side. The corner of the room had cobwebs. The tub had some mold and loose seal around the soad dish. Everything in the room worked. The TV did have a tendancy to shut down after an hour of so of operation. The laundry was nice it had plenty of washers and dryers and they worked well. Although it could have been better it wasn't terribly bad for the cost

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 20, 2006

Let me qualify my review by saying I have low expectations of hotels in general. I am not a "happy traveler" so I am loath to stay away from home. But the Homestead at Crabtree Valley in Raleigh made my stay comfortable and pleasant.
The Good:
> Even though the hotel was full w/ a wedding party, I was checked in promptly and courteously
> When I asked for directions, the front deskman didn't know the answer so he helped me look it up and gave me a complimentary map
> The kitchenette was clean and perfectly serviceable w/ stoneware dishes and high-end cookware. There was ice pre-made in the freezer. The only problem was a lop-sided burner that we couldn't straighten out -- still worked fine.
> The bathroom was large and so was the king size bed. It was a comfortable size for 2 adults & 2 kids.

Head's Up:
> We had a room with a sleeper sofa -- the sheets are not on the bed when you check-in. You have to get them from the front desk. Just ask when you check-in and you won't have to return to the office.
> They do not have around-the-clock desk service. Around midnight my youngest son locked us all out of the bathroom. We called the front desk & found out the only person there was the laundry lady w/ limited English. She didn't know who to contact to help us. We had to pick the lock ourselves. ** Be wary of the bathroom lock, you CAN get locked out **
> The worst part: our room was designated non-smoking but reaked of smoke. The bedspread even had cigarette burns on it. The sheets were the only thing that smelled "non-smoking".

It's in a nice area near the Crabtreee Valley Mall. There's a 24hr Wal-Mart and a CVS nearby. It's also very close to our ultimate destination, the NC Museum of Art. The property is just off I-440 at Hwy 70. You can hop on 440 and be anywhere in minutes or take Hwy 70 straight into downtown. It's a no-frills hotel and a great way to save money. We got a rate of $72 and by cooking our own meals, our trip didn't break the bank.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed January 28, 2006

We booked this on Hotwire to go to a Carolina Hurricanes game and see Ron Francise have his number 10 retired. The room was only $34 before tax. After reading the reviews, I was prepared for the worst as well. However, we were greeted promptly at check-in and the gentleman working was extremely nice and professional. Our room was a bit small, but had a nice size bathroom and shower as well as kitchenette, utensils, etc, and a good-size closet. Room showed some signs of age, but it was clean. There was a faint smell of disinfect or something like that, but it didn't last too long. Hotel was actually so quiet that it was somewhat difficult to sleep. The only real negatives were that there was no shampoo and the office is only open until 11:00pm. Not a bad stay for one night, one person, or a couple, but I wouldn't pay much more for it or stay too long. It's more designed for people who are working temporarily in the area and need something similar to an apartment. Overall good experience though.

• Stayed: January 2006
1  Thank groove2
A TripAdvisor Member
North Carolina
Reviewed January 20, 2006

Upon arriving I was assigned a room after waiting for about twenty minutes. When we proceeded to the room, found the room had not been cleaned for the next guests (us). Went back to the registration desk and advised them the room was not clean. Another twenty minutes later without an apology we were assigned to another room. This room had been cleaned, but very poorly. One of the beds had dirty linen. Reported this to the desk and about an hour later they brought clean linens and changed the bed. The night was horrendous. Will never stay there again. Oh by the way when I went to check out, they said the room would be free since we had so many problems. However, three charges appeared on my credit card bill. It took me three months to get this charge corrected.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 9, 2005

Check-in was ridiculous. There were two people behind the desk, and neither seemed to have a clue what they were doing. What should have taken maybe 5 minutes took 15. Then the guy, when telling us where our room was, kind of shrugged and said, "It's over there somewhere." Just a tad unprofessional. Anyway, so we found our room and it was okay except there were no pans with which to cook. However we were able to get one from the front desk, but at first they didn't believe us that the pan was missing. There also wasn't any dish soap (I'm not sure whether there is supposed to be any or not) so we couldn't wash our dishes. There's only one pair of everything, so it can be annoying when you can basically only eat in for one meal because you can't wash anything. The motel's location is pretty decent, but we've stayed in better for less in the same area. We'd return only if it's the lowest-priced place, but otherwise... no way.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank VA_Girl
Reviewed September 27, 2005

I wound up staying here through a Priceline bid. I saw the reviews were less than stellar, so I was prepared for the worst. What I encountered was far from the worst, but there were some small flaws.

The main problem was the previous guest smoked in the non-smoking room. One small burn mark on the floor and one on the bed spread. There was a strong hint of cleaning solution in the air, but that dissipated as I opened and reopened the room door to unload the car. With the air cleared, it was a matter of tossing the bed spread aside (I don’t like heavy covers anyway) and simply ignoring the small mark on the carpet. Except for leaving the bed spread, they did OK in making the room acceptable after it had been smoked in.

Everything else was in clean and working condition. Clean sheets, clean bathroom, clean kitchen except for one missed wrapper deep in a cupboard corner, and everything worked. There was no noise coming through the walls, no parties outside, and no hint of the traffic noise on US-70 just up the hill. There are no restaurants within a five minute walk, but plenty within a five minute drive, and there were some grocery stores in the same radius for stocking the fridge. Unlike a lot of other properties, the small clock/radio actually picked up some radio stations, so I got to wake up to music instead of a buzzer. The staff was pleasant and efficient at check in/out.

This property met my admittedly basic standards, and I’d go back if I was in the area.

• Stayed: September 2005
1  Thank MikeBHR
Also consider these accommodations in or near Raleigh
Extended Stay America - Raleigh - North Raleigh - Wake Towne Drive
Extended Stay America - Raleigh - Northeast
Extended Stay America - Raleigh - North Raleigh
Extended Stay America - Raleigh - North - Wake Forest Road
Candlewood Suites Raleigh - Crabtree
Extended Stay America - Raleigh - RDU Airport

Been to Extended Stay America - Raleigh - Crabtree Valley? Share your experiences!