“Do NOT Recommend for Children”
Review of Dead Broke Farm

Dead Broke Farm
More attraction details
Owner description: Dead Broke Farm has a 110 acres of wood trails and more than 75 horses for all experience levels.
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I decided to take my niece horseback riding for her birthday! We have been to different horse farms before so understand the experience. This was a terrible experience. First the animals were not taken care of properly. When we were getting ready to mount our horses, there was an older lady standing by the chicken house holding a dead chicken waving it in the air yelling at a younger girl that this is what happens when you don't give them water and then threw the dead chicken in the field. Which already made my niece uneasy and a little scared. Then we start the horse trail ride. The guides were younger girls that couldn't of been no more than 12 or 13 years old. The front guide was texting and talking on her cellphone throughout the entire trail and not being attentive to the riders or their needs. My niece got started at the front of line and I got stuck at the end. When you pay for a trail ride you would like to at least ride together. When I asked the guide at the end if I could ride closer to her she told me no that we already started the ride. The guides did not assist at all with trying to keep everyone on course and the horses would go off of the trail. When you have younger children riding horses that have minimum experience you should have the guides be more attentive and helping them. Thankfully no one was hurt during our trail ride but the potential was there. I was never so thankful when the ride came to an end out of fear that something would happen to my niece or myself. When we got back to the barn there was no one around to assist us off of our horses. I had to help my niece get down and when I asked a lady to help us she said well just hop off of the horse. This was a terrible experience. The area was very dirty and unkept. I understand that it is a farm but the upkeep could be a lot better. I do not recommend this horse farm to anyone especially with younger children.

13  Thank Stacey W
Carla C, Owner at Dead Broke Farm, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

As I mentioned in the review below, my mother and I were doing an offisite camping trail ride the day of your ride. When we returned, she found that our staff had not properly taken care of her birds. The dead bird she held up wasn't a chicken; it was an exotic feather-legged pigeon. We do take good care of our animals. That's why my mother was so upset to see that they hadn't properly taken care of her birds in our absence. I'm sorry if your child was upset by my mother's graphic display of what can happen when they aren't taken care of.

I'm also sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your ride, but the fact that you didn't fall off or get scratched up tells me that the guides were doing their job. Horses have a mind of their own, and if you don't use your reins as we demonstrated in the riding instruction prior to the start of your ride, they will wander off the trail to eat grass.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Im not sure who the owner is because she wasnt there, but Molly was very pleasant! When I needed something, she was always there and very happy to help. The only real issue I had was needing her so often! I booked a kid's party over a month in ago and spoke to the owner twice to confirm. However, when I got there - the area we were to be in wasnt even clean. Trash was all over the place, the tables were filthy, and the grill had cobwebs and caked up soot on it. Also, Im aware this is a farm, but there were random filthy dogs all over the kids area. I didnt mind that dogs were on the farm - makes sense. Yet to have them roaming freely in private parties - walking under tables and sniffing food while children were trying to eat is DISGUSTING. Maybe at home with dogs we're familiar with - but not unfamiliar dogs. And if someone from the farm responds - please dont waste your breath saying they were clean, because I have pictures and clearly they were NOT. The dogs were very mild tempered, but to have suspect dogs able to be around people's food is pretty terrible. I actually spoke to someone about getting the dogs (A very nice young lady), and she said she would, but she never came back to do so. The actual riding experience was a pleasant one - even when extra kids seemed to come out of nowhere to ride, the staff was prepared! Even though (for the record), 3 of those kids didnt belong to our party, but were allowed to ride with us. I didnt mind this, especially since the staff didnt charge us extra for them! I thought the staff was friendly, and very helpful with the kids. One suggestion is that they have a source of running water for parties. A young lady brought us sanitizer (Which I greatly appreciated!), but that is not a substitute for washing hands. Understandably its a farm, but being a farm, its not going to be the most clean place - make it so if people are going to be able to ride AND eat, they have a way of not contracting nor spreading something. And as a healthcare professional - sanitizer doesnt do it. Another suggestion is that if people ask you if there are bathrooms for the party to use - please specify that they are port-a-potties. I made it clear that this was a kids party, so one may think that some of the kids use the bathroom with a parent in tow. Port-a-potties are NOT big enough to allow some parents to go in with their children. 1 child ended up crying and terrified because when the door closed and they were alone - they couldnt figure out what to do. Just give the parents a heads up!

3  Thank M H

As the owner of the farm, it is impossible for me to be there all the time 7 days a week. On Saturday, the day of your birthday party, I had taken customers offsite for an organized trail ride and camping trip. When I returned on Sunday, my staff had a lot to say about your behavior. It's to their credit that they were able to remain professional and courteous toward you given that you were openly referring them as "White Trash".

All of the children who rode with your party were definitely with your group, because they were all African American - not Caucasian - as were our other customers and staff, so it was readily apparent they were with your party.

With respect to the condition of the grill, you didn't request the grill nor did you pay for it, so it wasn't cleaned and prepared for your use. The picnic tables are outdoor tables much like you would see at a park or lake, and you could've covered them with disposable table clothes if you weren't comfortable with an outdoor picnic area.

Our dogs are well groomed and clipped. We have poodles, cockers spaniels, and Chihuahuas - all small dogs and very well mannered. They come to our farm each day, and the children enjoy petting them and playing with them. We have cats too... and chickens, and turkeys, and guineas - all of which contributes toward a real farm experience. I'll be sure to post candid photos of them in their natural environment to show that this is the case rather than the DISGUSTING condition that you have described.

Obviously, you weren't prepared for an outdoor party even though I have gone to great lengths to portray it accurately with both words and pictures on our website. In future, I would recommend Monkey Joes or some other indoor venue for your family, since all of your complaints were specific to the farm environment - not the riding experience or my staff.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Our daughter went to Dead Broke Farm for summer camp for two weeks this year. She absolutely LOVED it! She is 11, and is now talking about volunteering at the farm. She loved all the dogs, and the rescued horses. She has ridden elsewhere and really enjoyed the hands-on experience and the trail rides. She has had nothing bad to say about the camp or the farm. I had her scheduled to attend camp on a week that it was going to rain almost every day, and I was able to reschedule her for another week. There was a small $25.00 fee to move her week, but I was more than happy to pay that so that she could move her week and not lose out! We were all happy campers with this choice!

1  Thank Phil R
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My 9 year old has attended camp this week. She has had a wonderful time. She understands much more about horses and how a farm works. She loves interacting with all the animals. I wish I could go to camp here! I am excited to ride with her tomorrow. They accommodated my schedule so that I would be able to pick up my son from camp on time.

1  Thank Susan K
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My 5-year old said she had fun and was always excited to go back the next day. She loved feeding the animals and brushing the horses. She may have been too young for the overall riding experience but she made new friends and had fun.

1  Thank Corny50

Been to Dead Broke Farm? Share your experiences!