“Raleigh's best kept secret!”
Review of Dead Broke Farm

Dead Broke Farm
More attraction details
Owner description: Dead Broke Farm has a 110 acres of wood trails and more than 75 horses for all experience levels.
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Amazing to see the owner and her staff care for the stunning horses and the patience they have for them. I read unfair reviews about the owner, but truth is that she is blunt, intolerant of slackers and she could sure use more help.
I had the best experience celebrating my husband's birthday at Dead Broke Farm. The owner accommodated my last minute plans, the staff gave us great tips of how to handle the horses and all of our horses were healthy and well mannered.
I definitely recommend everyone getting out of the city and relieving stress by seeing how beautiful these gentle animals and nature can be.
Blanca Moreno

in 55 reviews
in 248 reviews
in 29 reviews

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Carla and her staff are a blessing to my family. I contacted Carla one day with an immediate response and had my child at her farm the next. Seeing my child so happy after her experience with this team, gives me an unexplainable amount of gratitude. My child looks forward to going back each time and i will continue to take her as frequent as i can. My daughter is being taught professionalism and proper riding, as well as proper care of horses. I am amazed by the responsibility Carla and her team maintain on a daily basis. Can you imagine what is involved in taking care of so many horses? This team works from early morning to prepare for visitors like us to come, until late in the evening...long hours! I for one am grateful for what they do for all of us.

I would like to add that I highly recommend visiting Dead Broke Farm. I also recommend that you focus on the positive reviews here. We all know that there are just some people in this world who thrive on negativity...and love to hurt others. They are merely unhappy people..and I do not believe a word they wrote. There is no way the accepting, good hearted people who I have experienced are the same. Issues with schedules? Remember, this is a horse farm. Horses are big animals, with different temperaments, personalities, etc....just like us. Life on life's term happens. It is our attitude and how we handle life's terms that will drive our experience. If I have to wait a little longer, no big deal. Be grateful for these people working such long hours, taking care of these beautiful creatures, and being available for us to share this experience. It's a big job!

Thank you Carla and staff for all you do for all of us. Kassi and I appreciate you tremendously!

Tami Stephenson

1  Thank Tami S
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The staff was nice and friendly; however, the owner Carla, was the rudest person I have ever spoken with. From the moment she answered the phone when we called to make the appointment, every word out of her mouth is with an attitude. Even asking the simplest question had her sounding like she hated my guts. I thought perhaps she had just had a bad day - but when I called again on a different day she was just as mean.

She should never have chosen to work with the public. At the very least, pay SOMEONE ELSE to answer the phone and deal with the public! Her attitude is completely uncalled for and I will not put another dime in her pocket. I do not recommend this establishment.

16  Thank JeanEric926
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Never expected to have such a hilly and extensive trail ride so close to Raleigh. The horses were responsive to commands, even for our group of 8-9 year old girls that didn't have much, or any, previous experience. They have so many horses they can easily accommodate large groups, and the trails are long and varied to be an interesting and relaxing escape from suburbia.

1  Thank Hokie_Scott
See more reviews
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My 8 yr old daughter attended their horse camp last summer and I have and still do have mixed feelings on it. I believe the camp is for ages 5 and up. I would not recommend sending anyone under 8...if that. There is A LOT of independent time, so your child would have to be VERY responsible.
From what I could gather/remember the children brought their own lunch and a couple extra waters for this all day camp. They had an airconditioned clubhouse (more like a very large shed) which included storage (for lunches), a tv, picnic tables (3 I think), and some games. The bathroom was a port-a-john, which my daugher despises, so she held it every day, except one, when she did not make it in time. (luckily she kept extra clothes)
The clubhouse was ideal for rain days, though I have found out since that my daughter and two new friends, stayed outside in the rain, sitting on the merry go round (the old, metal, merry go round)....
Anyway, it does have a park and a pool. It looks like they may have previously offered recreational swimming as well but some Durham ordinant banned that, for safety/liability reasons I am sure. The playground is wooden and old. But seemed enough to enterain/hang out on for 8-10 yr old girls.
I would say that perhaps there 15 children, boys and girls in the camp, maybe more, but coming in morning and early evening, it was hard to get an exact number.
Check in was a little disorganized but I could see the attempt to streamline it...there was just no one available to tell you what to do/where to go. - but that was only an issue the first day.
The children all learn basic skills and ride at least once a day, with the option to ride again in the afternoon or take a ride in the wagon.
The grounds lacked grass. I have never seen a horse farm with no grass...but knowing what the pine trees do to our yard... I am not sure how much of an issue that plays in it. I did see a large pasture upon entering the facility but it only had 1-3 horses in it, where as the smaller one I went by during our trail ride, had many more horses, was all shaded, grassless and full of trees and roots.
As to some of the issues with private or group rides... I did do one with my daughter and it did take a while to get on with it. But I think I do remember being told to come early as it would take some time.
I also think I have seen the owner and her daughter and they seem to care about their animals, but may just be a little rough around the edges.
Lastly, while I love a good deal, it has taken me over 6 moths to think about what to write. The first day they offered free shirts to families that did a review online..and a tie dye version to those that did it on Trip Advisor. An hour was too soon to write a review, and I didnt want to feel that I was "blinded by the tye dye", (But I was reminded of this incentive as I read the disclaimer at the bottom of TA review form.) so that is another reason I have waited so long.

Anyway, would I go back? As a summer camp parent, I say no. Though I loved she was away from a TV all day and made new friends and overcame her fear of horses, I just felt like there was too much of a lack of supervision or guidance, and I worry about that most. Maybe if she was older, 11-14, I would be okay. Though I should mention that the girl that was in charge of camp (a red head) was very nice.

As far as riding trails. The trail was nice, the back guide, a young guy named Nick I think, was very friendly. I might be inclined to do that again. I do like that they are one of the few (if not only) horse riding places that has draft horses for larger people. So, since I don't do it often anyway, yes, I would go back for the occasional trail ride.

4  Thank DeniseNC72

Been to Dead Broke Farm? Share your experiences!