“Good Food, Almost No Service”
Review of 618 Bistro and Lounge - CLOSED

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wycliff Road
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Ever been to a restaurant where you just feel like the waiter is bored? It happened to us at 618 Bistro. We read good reviews so decided to try it. The atmosphere of the restaurant was very cool but there were few diners when we got there around 6:30. We were seated. A few minutes later, the stone faced waiter brought us water with barely a greeting. We expected him to take drink orders. He didn't. So, a long wait. He came back and took our wine order. Another long wait. He brought the wine and left. Another long wait. He came back and took our order. Another long wait. He brought the appetizer. Another long wait. The food came. Another long wait. He took our dessert order. Another long wait. The dessert came. One more long wait and I had my credit card out so that when the check came he just picked up and I didn't wait for one last return. Through it all, never checked to refill wine glasses or water. And without a full dining room, there was certainly time. Lost money for the restaurant and certainly made a negative impression on us. Oh, the food? The saving grace. I would call it good/very good. Calamari was nice. My wife very much liked the shrimp and risotto. My shrimp and scallops were tasty, although slightly bland. But the crème brulee was burnt on the top and the pudding underneath was actually cold: very weird. Overall: good food. Overall: very poor (and apparently bored) service.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

It was quiet the night we went tho I read reviews about loud, live music and was apprehensive. We asked for water as soon as we sat down and had to ask for it again after 20 minutes. Drinks were slow to arrive. While the Short Rib appetizer and Tuna entrée were flavorful, the Shrimp & Scallops was bland except for a "fishy" taste. The Lemon Cake was very good. Overall, we were not impressed.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Walked into 618 for lunch on a busy day. The owner not only greeted me at the door, but came over to chat for a bit while I was eating, making a number of good points about the best way to eat the rather unique order I'd placed. The place was packed, but the service was so good that it didn't feel that way. The food was delicious, I'll be back - and want to try them for dinner some evening.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Besides the food and prices, this is a restaurant that has a patio NOT next to a road. I like dining outdoors but not when the patio overlooks a road or a parking lot with the noise and stench of cars. Now to the food... I love the appetizers but I have never less than a great entree either. Service is friendly. Beer choices are not extensive but sufficiently varied and tasty. Bistro takes reservations. Convenient to Crabtree Mall, arena, fair grounds, and Rex Hospital.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

We went to this restaurant due to its close proximatey to PNC Arena (we were there for the Justin Timberlake show). We were seated and given water almost immediately. I waitress was soooo sweet. She made us our drinks and then helped with our selection and even catered to my wife's pickiness. The food was wonderful. What a pleasant surprise. Generous portions of food. I had the Rigatoni Wozi which was perfect, creamy and had plenty of flavor. The wife had Chicken and Olives and the chef catered to her changes to aid to her liking. Great date place!