“Very Good, Authentic Italian”
Review of La Volta

La Volta
Ranked #887 of 1,483 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Davie Street
Description: La Volta brings traditional and contemporary Italian cuisine to downtown Raleigh in a upscale setting at affordable prices. We offer an extensive wine list and all abc permits. Outside patio seating as well as private seating is avaliable. Catering available for all occasions.
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We wanted to dine out and try something new. We decided to try La Volta in downtown Raleigh. We were glad we did.

The restaurant is right across from the Sheraton Hotel and the City Center Plaza.This is an "upscale" feeling place. There are real glasses (not plastic), cloth napkins, real tablecloths, and the atmosphere is great. A nice selection of music will be playing in the background, and on the weekends you can sit outside and eat while listening to live music.

They offer a large selection of wines, appetizers, and entrees. We tried a variety of items and found them all to be good. The chefs cooked everything perfectly. The pastas were just right, the meats were tender, and the bread was delicious. The sauces were outstanding, very authentic, and the perfect amount of oils, and seasonings. My only complaint is the portion sizes on some entrees are not overly big. However, on other entrees, I would say they were average in size. If you are a big eater, or very hungry, you may want to ask about what size portion a dish is.

The staff was awesome. They greet you out on the sidewalk, introduce you to your host, and we were greeted with smiles from every server there, not just ours. They were informative, and answered all of our questions. I can't say what their response would have been to a complaint, because we really had none.

The prices are not inexpensive, however, I found most dishes to be comparable in price to your local chain Italian restaurant. Prices range from about $12 to $25 a plate, They do offer a nice special on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. It is a "couples" special that includes a bottle of wine for $40.

Overall, this is a fine restaurant and I would eat here over a chain Italian place anytime.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I ordered the linguine with white clam sauce. The pasta was swimming in oil. I requested additional Parmesan, after commenting to hostess it was too oily. She brought it, however although the cheese absorbed some of the oil. It completely dried out the pasta and mad it inedible. I complained to the waitress, but "He", whoever he is, said he wouldn't do anything. He didn't even come check with me. I will say that the clams were good, not overlooked and, for once, I ordered dessert since clams are not enough for lunch. The tiramisu was great. The waitress gave me a 10% discount since she felt it wasn't fair, but I think the "He" should have addressed this.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I went there tonight with some close friends.
We ordered some appetizers. The calamari portion was pretty small and had no salt on it.
I ordered a chicken with sausage which was good, some friends ordered the seafood risoto which they said was also good. But two of them ordered the gnochi and were disappointed with its consistency (al dente) and the quality of the sauce and left most of it on the plate.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

We dined at La Volta after having left another pricier Italian restaurant across the street at the Marriott. The wine list there was so overpriced that we were more than pleased with the good value we experienced at La Volta. We shared the mussel appetizer, perfect with a home made tomato sauce, followed by a shared Ceasar salad (split in the kitchen) and then eggplant parmesan (the meal we order to detect the originality and standards of a kitchen) and the grilled salmon. Everything was prepared deliciously, the waiter and the chef accommodating our various special requests. The eggplant was especially delightful because the kitchen incorporated whole fresh leaves of basil in the layers. We ended the meal with espresso perfectly prepared, with some anisette on the side and were grateful to have stumbled upon La Volta after having left that other restaurant.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

I went with my mother and children to this restaurant while visiting Raleigh. I ordered a house Chardonney and it was extremely sweet like a Moscato. I asked if in exchange I could get a beer. The server was not friendly nor helpful. The food was overpriced and average at the least. My bill at the end had the wine charge of $8 (house wine??) and a $2 charge because I asked to change my child's penne pasta to regular spaghetti noodles. I paid the bill but will never return!

Been to La Volta? Share your experiences!