New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Wingate by Wyndham State Arena Raleigh/Cary

Wingate by Wyndham State Arena Raleigh/Cary
Ranked #14 of 83 Hotels in Raleigh
Cary, North Carolina
“A great hotel for the traveler!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

We had just arrived close to midnight in the middle of a snow storm and was very tired and ready for some sleep. The front desk was alert and quickly got us in our room in under 5 minutes. The room was very clean and nicely warmed up for us. The atmosphere is very modern and again very well maintained. The only hiccup i ran into was the business center. I needed to print out some documents for work but the printer was out of ink. The front desk informed me it was on order but unavailable. They came up with a solution to email it to them and print it from the front desk. Worked for me and was on my way to the meeting. I do highly recommend this hotel for family and business. Great staff and a nice clean hotel will definitely get my reservation next month when i return. Don't forget to sigh up for Wyndham rewards card !

Room Tip: Wake up early for the free breakfast. This hotel is busy and the crowds get hungry at 8am.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Donn L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
NEWBERRY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in December 2012 and enjoyed my stay. Except the heat wasn't working right and we had to ask that they get someone to fix it. Other than this it was nice. However, this time I was given a room on the first floor near the lobby. I had trouble sleeping because I could hear the things going on at the front desk and noise at the elevators. The noise from the trains would wake me up. Also, I got bit by ants in my room this time around. I am schedule to stay there again on January 23rd-26th for Corporate business. I hope I am in a different area of the hotel (on a different floor and facing the front). If I can't sleep or if I have things that are biting me I will have to try the Hyatt across the street.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

This was our 2nd stay in this hotel. It was even better than our 1st! The room was exceptionally clean, which is very important to us. The bathroom was spotless--I have never been in a cleaner hotel bathroom! The room was very spacious. The front desk people were very friendly and helpful. Free newspapers and free coffee 24/7 were added benefits. It is very close to Carter-Finley Stadium and PNC Arena. We will stay here on all our Raleigh visits!

Room Tip: Front of the hotel has less train noise
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank wolfpackfan66
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Wingate was a great hotel all around, no complaints! Check in was prompt and I was easily able to switch our room from a king to 2 doubles. The room was standard sized and included a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. There was plenty of seating areas (armchair, desk with desk chair, regular chair and bench) which made it easy to find places to put our stuff, spread out a towel and sit down. Also plenty of storage (dresser and double door closet). The flat screen was very large for a hotel room, an additional plus. The bathroom was average-sized, lacked a fan and was not as bright as other hotels I've stayed in; however there was plenty of counter (and undercounter) space for toiletries. The beds were firm and slept very well. Based on other reviewers' comments, I would also suggest a room on the front side of the hotel, as there are train tracks on the back side and we could hear the passing train in the morning. The indoor pool/whirlpool and fitness center were great! The whirlpool was perfectly warm and spacious, as was the pool (fairly large for an indoor pool). The fitness equipment was of high quality and well-kept.
Breakfast in the morning was of typical fare, however I've had better. There was a standard variety of breads, bagels and muffins. Also there were apples (no variety in the fruit), cereal, oatmeal, waffle maker and hot breakfast (eggs and bacon). The breakfast was not well tended and the oatmeal and "hot breakfast" actually turned out to be cold.
Overall a great stay for one night, might be worthwhile for longer term.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends