“A good place to get something a bit different”
Review of Crabtree Tavern - CLOSED

Crabtree Tavern
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Ohio City, Ohio
“A good place to get something a bit different”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The wait staff was very friendly, the menu had a nice selection with some standard fare and some with a bit of a personal twist. Loved the Mac and Cheese and also the gourmet grilled cheese. The local brews were good and you can get a sampler of these, which I like. Lots of sports on the TV's, pool table and it was spacious. Hope you find it as enjoyable as I did.

• Visited February 2013

Durham, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful Awful Awful”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

What an awful time. First off, we ordered spareribs. After about 15 min the guy comes out and says...they are in the middle of updating their menu and he didn't realize they no longer offer spareibs. Okay. So, we order
wings, they are pretty decent. We ordered a turkey panini...after 15 min the guy comes out and says he hasnt put the order in yet because it'll take 30ish min to cook the turkey... I'm am such an easy going person and never complain, but I said, well, if you would have put the order in we'd only
have to wait 15 more min.... Anyway, when we got that it was so overwhelmed with curry we both were grossed out. We also ordered
a grilled chicken with gorgonzola cheese and bacoon. The chicken was real good, nicely grilled, however, the cheese was so overwhelming it was
almost uneatable. I know its a strong cheese but what they did wrong was mush so much on it that it was gross. And we had two Zspot vouchers. We checked on them first to make sure it didn't say "one per table or one per order". The manager came over and told us, I said, its not on the voucher. He said, yeah, well it should be. AND, then said the first one we couldn't use either because it being happy hour we got half price wings. We didn't even know that. So, the only way we could use the one voucher was to pay full price for the wings. Its like he RESENTED us for having vouchers. Never ever again. AND, I've eaten there a few times before and always had a wedge salad and their Ultimate BLT which was pretty decent, the BLT is no longer on the menu. Don't waste your time.

• Visited January 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Good Lunch off the Greenway”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We recently wanted to spend a half day riding bikes on the Capitol Area Greenway, and thought it would be nice to find a place to stop at midday for lunch. While there are a number of restaurants in Crabtree Valley, we didn't want to go into the mall. But I remembered this place is out behind the mall, so we tried them. It was a very good place to stop for lunch off the greenway. A much better option for us than the mall, or McDonalds.
We all thought the food was very good. It was also reasonably priced. But remember, this is primarilly a bar, and it can be noisy. The atmosphere is,,, a bar. There is nothing particularly nice about the inside of this restaurant/bar, but it did fit our needs and we liked the food.
Our primary complaint with the tavern was that we wanted to use 2 for 1 coupons from the Entertainment Guide for each of the 2 couples at our table. The coupon said it was good for "one coupon per person, per visit", but the restaurant interpreted that as one per table. The waitress told us when we showed the coupons that the manager would not honor "per person". I guess the food is not too expensive, so that is not a big deal, but it seemed like a "bait and switch" to us that people should know about. Sounded like the manager was an inflexible tyrant, and that makes us wonder if we want to go back, even if we dont have a coupon to use.
But overall the tavern was a good stop off the greenway. I would recommend this if you want to spend a fun day biking and doing lunch out along the trail.

• Visited December 2012
Raleigh
“Tavern Trip”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Let me start off by saying that our service here was beyond our expectations. Although I can't remember his name ( i believe it started with a C) he was tall skinny with short brown hair and had excellent manners. We were very pleased with everything we ordered except for the tomato soup which tastes like the chef boyardee spaghetti O's that my 3 year old son eats for lunch. As well as the potato wedges. The fries were much better and according to our server we aren't the first to complain.

• Visited November 2012
charlotte, nc
“Skip it....trust and believe it is not worth it.”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Was at a nearby hotel for a conference and we decided to walk over to the Tavern given its proximity to our hotel. We should have kept walking to the mall food court because the food was mediocre (at best), service barely acceptable, and the menu was limited.

While the staff were not rude, they not efficient in terms of greeting our table, taking our orders, checking on us once we received our orders, etc.

Very disappointing menu items (I had to "settle" for my entree as I did not really want anything on the menu, but had to select something to eat). There were quite a few of us in our party and most people returned their meals or simply chose not to eat them.

I travel to the area on business and will definitely NOT return to this restaurant. Although directly behind the mall, it is difficult to access (had we not been staying at the nearby hotel, we would have never known the place was back there).

Skip this place.....I would have rather had a fast food burger and fries.

Blah.