“Good Lunch off the Greenway”
Review of Crabtree Tavern - CLOSED

Crabtree Tavern
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We recently wanted to spend a half day riding bikes on the Capitol Area Greenway, and thought it would be nice to find a place to stop at midday for lunch. While there are a number of restaurants in Crabtree Valley, we didn't want to go into the mall. But I remembered this place is out behind the mall, so we tried them. It was a very good place to stop for lunch off the greenway. A much better option for us than the mall, or McDonalds.
We all thought the food was very good. It was also reasonably priced. But remember, this is primarilly a bar, and it can be noisy. The atmosphere is,,, a bar. There is nothing particularly nice about the inside of this restaurant/bar, but it did fit our needs and we liked the food.
Our primary complaint with the tavern was that we wanted to use 2 for 1 coupons from the Entertainment Guide for each of the 2 couples at our table. The coupon said it was good for "one coupon per person, per visit", but the restaurant interpreted that as one per table. The waitress told us when we showed the coupons that the manager would not honor "per person". I guess the food is not too expensive, so that is not a big deal, but it seemed like a "bait and switch" to us that people should know about. Sounded like the manager was an inflexible tyrant, and that makes us wonder if we want to go back, even if we dont have a coupon to use.
But overall the tavern was a good stop off the greenway. I would recommend this if you want to spend a fun day biking and doing lunch out along the trail.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Let me start off by saying that our service here was beyond our expectations. Although I can't remember his name ( i believe it started with a C) he was tall skinny with short brown hair and had excellent manners. We were very pleased with everything we ordered except for the tomato soup which tastes like the chef boyardee spaghetti O's that my 3 year old son eats for lunch. As well as the potato wedges. The fries were much better and according to our server we aren't the first to complain.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Was at a nearby hotel for a conference and we decided to walk over to the Tavern given its proximity to our hotel. We should have kept walking to the mall food court because the food was mediocre (at best), service barely acceptable, and the menu was limited.

While the staff were not rude, they not efficient in terms of greeting our table, taking our orders, checking on us once we received our orders, etc.

Very disappointing menu items (I had to "settle" for my entree as I did not really want anything on the menu, but had to select something to eat). There were quite a few of us in our party and most people returned their meals or simply chose not to eat them.

I travel to the area on business and will definitely NOT return to this restaurant. Although directly behind the mall, it is difficult to access (had we not been staying at the nearby hotel, we would have never known the place was back there).

Skip this place.....I would have rather had a fast food burger and fries.

Blah.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Burger joint, but a good one. The food was fresh and prepared excellently and the beer was cold. We had a party of 6, everyone ordered something different and everyone left happy. Nice waitress as well.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I am very sorry we all wasted our Sunday afternoon here when we could have had a better time eating at a gas station mini mart. At least then we wouldnt have had to spend our time being mad at the idiotic staff and overall lackluster experience. My friend had a Groupon so we decided to give it a try. Our waitress was walking around flustered when she had at the most about three tables. the only thing she did right was bring out waters. It took her a good 20 min to take our orders after asking the manager what was up. When she finally came around she took our orders but came back and told us what we wanted was out. It took another 40 min for any food to come out and of course we had to ask what was up once again. Grr. Food was so terrible I thought it was a joke. My friends had chicken and waffles that came out drenched in syrup. What chef prepares waffles already drenched? What if someone doesn't like syrup? My sausage looked it was uncooked and everything was cold and had been sitting out for a while. My friend had to order another waffle sans syrupy mess. Waitress messed up on the bill and then we were done. Pls do yourself a favor and never visit this joke of a tavern. They need to do themselves a favor and shut it down.