“Suprisingly Pleasant”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites at NC State SW
Ranked #27 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I must admit, I did not have high hopes for this hotel at first, but I was very pleasantly surprised. I stayed here September 2012 doing business with NC State. It was pretty close to campus al though there is really nothing walking distance from the hotel other than a gas station.

My room was good sized, with a comfortable king sized bed. The bathrooms were nice and clean as well. Internet connection was really nice. The floor was a bit noisy with families staying in adjacent rooms, but it wasn't all that bad.

The complimentary breakfast was really nice, serving both hot and cold items. The pool area was good too, which was great, since I was craving a couple of canonballs in a nice cool pool. The gym area was average, but I got a good workout in.

I would recommend this hotel when doing business with NC State. It was a relaxing stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
RDUGS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites at NC State SW, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

We are glad we were able to surprise you, pleasantly :) It’s so rewarding when a guest can say their stay was relaxing! We aim to please. That pool is open 365 days a year as well we have that great Express Start Hot Breakfast bar available 365 days a year. Come back soon!

All the best,

Milton P. Hamilton

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed here while visiting our son at NCSU. Hotel was nice,clean, and well decorated. Staff very nice and friendly. The free breakfast wasn't very good (runny eggs, greasy sausage, etc) but the coffee was great. Water pressure in the shower and sink very poor. Their rates are a little higher than others in the area, not sure why. Will be staying there again in a few weeks.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your business. Our management team would love to meet you on your return trip. Feel free to stop by our front desk and ask for one of managers, so they can personally welcome you back. We look forward to welcoming a fellow “Wolfpacker” back real soon!

Kindest regards,

Milton P. Hamilton

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The staff was gracious and accommodating as I needed to fax important documents that could not be faxed from my work location. Spacious and warm breakfast area and large rooms with large bathroom and showers. The beds are very comfortable as they were just upgraded NEW!! Close to fine restaurants and other retail shops. Nice workout facility, pool and whirlpool. Keep up the good work at this location!!

Room Tip: Rooms on south side have view of nice pine trees.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
RDUGS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites at NC State SW, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

You’re too kind! Thanks for those comments. As a business traveler we recognize that you need to be focused on your business at hand and anything we can do to accommodate that, we will. Hopefully we will be welcoming you back real soon.

In hospitality,

Reviewed February 16, 2013

My room was spacious and clean. The bathroom was large with great water pressure and big fluffy towels. The staff was very nice and helpful. The breakfast the next morning was just as I expected since I stay in HIE a lot. My only complaint was how hot it was in the lobby. It was cooking in there! We ate our breakfast fast before we fainted from it :). This hotel is a good option over the one closer to the airport since there is no airplane noise.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
RDUGS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites at NC State SW, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you for your loyalty to our brands! I am proud our hotel is committed to the same promise as our parent company, Intercontinental Hotel Groups. That commitment is, “To create great hotels that guest love!” Hope to see you back soon and we will be sure to turn down that heat :)

Warmest regards,

Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Aa a HI Express this hotel has no bar or restaurant, offering vending machines instead. Which is my only criticism since the rooms are clean and spacious, the communal areas also. And the service very helpful and efficient. There are eateries nearby but you need to drive to them. Breakfast is served downstairs, but is mainly muffins, toast etc. There is free coffee in each room and a fridge, hair dryer etc provided. If you don't mind eating off the premises, it's a fine enough place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2013
RDUGS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites at NC State SW, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you for your recent stay and your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed our “clean and spacious” rooms and our friendly staff. As a brand Holiday Inn Express does not have onsite restaurants or bars. At our particular property eateries and bars are just a short drive away. In the event our guests don’t want to travel out of the hotel we have great delivery services from our nearby restaurant partners available. We welcome your next visit and are looking forward to accommodating you again!

All the best,

Reviewed December 17, 2012

First the good, I had to stay at this location because I took a week long class at NC State University. The hotel was only 3 miles/5 minutes away from the University, therefore, perfect! However, the hotel does not have restaurants on site or nearby. Everything is driving distance. There is a gas station nearby, and a Wendy’s but you have to drive. Clean rooms, spacious and well stocked with toiletries and coffee. When I made my reservation I did not have a code from the university to get their rate, but the hotel was very accommodating in updating to the lower rate. Now the bad, the breakfast bar was not taken care properly, always out of coffee and eggs. Everyday! For the entire week. The person attending was not usually there. I did not like the variety. I would stay there again, only if I go to NCSU for a class.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Chiki2399
RDUGS, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites at NC State SW, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay at our property. There are many choices in this area and we are thankful you chose us. I am apologetic that your experience with our Express Start Breakfast bar was a negative one. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and we want to provide you a breakfast of quality. This feedback will be used as we evaluate our processes, in effort to improve our services. We look forward to your return visit and I would welcome the opportunity to personally handle your next reservation.

Kindest regards,

GM

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I needed to find a new regular place to stay and this was near many of the places I must go for business reasons. I was pleasantly surprised. I came to check-in at a bad time and there was a wait but the one desk person handled to overload very professionally and courteously. Everything about the hotel was sparkling clear but no where near garish..... pool, lobby, workout room, breakfast room and, of course, my room. The room was big enough to accommodate anyone's needs and was tastefully furnished with comfortable furniture. I needed two wake up calls: midnight to take medication and 6am for real. Got 'em both as requested. In the meantime, I got 8 hours of the best sleep I'd had in weeks in spite of a threatening toothache.Breakfast had a wide selection. I found the machine-made pancakes a little rubbery (remember, I had a sensitive tooth) and the scrambled eggs a little too soft but there were plenty of other items to choose. Don't expect me to rate any more hotels in Raleigh - I'll be staying at this one exclusively. (and this is in a part of Raleigh in which traffic is not very heavy)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

We are so excited to become your new “favorite Raleigh hotel”. We work hard to accommodate our guests and it is such a reward when you all deem us your “favorite Raleigh hotel”. We will continue to work hard to keep your loyalty and trust. On your next travel here, please introduce yourself to our management team we would love to meet you!

Happy Holidays,