“Good stuff”
Review of Gravy

Gravy
Reserve with OpenTable
Gravy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 1,483 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hargett
Transit: The R line stops around the corner on Hargett and South Wilmington.
Description: Ask any Italian-American what ‘gravy’ is, and they'll tell you it's the pasta sauce that their mothers and grandmothers cooked fresh every night. At Gravy Restaurant we take the same care, preparing our signature sauce every day using select tomatoes and locally grown herbs. The heart and soul poured into the preparation of traditional Italian-American dishes pairs with inspired modern twists and a focus on seasonal ingredients to define Gravy’s unique approach to this classic cuisine.
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I came here with two friends who live in Raleigh after they recommended it. It didn't disappoint. The service was great, although, a crumb-scraper would be appreciated. Being Raleigh, it was a little humid out and the table was wet with the ice water glasses, and then crumbs and things on the table, it looked like a group of monkeys had eaten there but it was just the three of us. An intermediate, quick, table-wipe would be much appreciated.

The food was fantastic! We had the meat / cheese appetizer and the pate was.. yowsa, SO good! I had a special with sausage in a pasta with pesto and something else; I can't even remember what was in it, but it was great. Everything that we had was great, and the desert was, too. I highly recommend this spot and their outdoor dining area is huge, too.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

My husband and I took a little get-away and based on trip advisor's reviews, decided to try this restaurant. First of all, I was on crutches and included that note when we made our online reservations. So as I approached the restaurant, the hostess opened the door and called me by name. This was a really nice touch and an attention to detail. They sat us at the first table, so I wouldn't have far to walk. And that was just the start of the excellent service! The decor is minimalist and European, and the lighting was perfect. The food! Oh, the food! We have eaten all over the world, and I can't believe that we had some of the best food we've ever tasted right here in Raleigh, North Carolina! We started with the renowned risotto balls and asparagus wrapped in prosciutto. I thought the risotto balls were a bit bland but they were surprisingly light and crispy on the outside. The asparagus was perfect! But the highlights were the main courses of eggplant Parmesan and I chose the angel hair pasta dish. My husband eats eggplant parm wherever he goes, so he's gotten to be pretty discerning about that dish. He thought it to be the best he's ever eaten. And I will tell you truly that I have never had better food that in that angel hair pasta dish. The pasta is homemade, the sauce is full of flavor and light, light, light. That can be so hard to accomplish, especially when using such rich ingredients. I cannot tell anyone about this dish without my mouth watering. We ended up trying 2 of their desserts; creme brule and strawberry panna cotta. Excellent, is all that I can say. Prices are unbelievably reasonable. We enjoyed this restaurant so much that we came back the next day for lunch! Please do not miss this wonderful eatery!

Reviewed April 19, 2014

This review is from the last time I was at Gravy which was April 2014, but I have eaten there at least a dozen times in the last 18 months and have never been disappointed.

From the outside Gravy looks like almost an afterthought next to hue window front of it's neighbor Siti (also a good place to eat).

Once inside however, the inside is more than adequate until you find out it's little secret - the downstairs. It's a little more rusts which I happen to like. It's also quitter unless there is a big party down there. I almost alway eat downstairs. It's especially nice for date night.

The food is off the charts good and very reasonably priced. I always get at least one order of the fried risotto balls with gravy! They are the best! This time I ordered the Chicken Parmasian which was excellent! I have also had the Gnocci and Lobster Ravioli (when it's available) and all are excellent!

The best part is the prices are certainly reasonable for a downtown restaurant and the staff has always been extremely kind and customer oriented. I highly recommend Gravy to anyone! You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Great looking menu with clear focus, incredibly reasonable prices, clean and inviting space. Expectations were high based on menu. Food was good, but read better. Little tweaks here and there could make this place absolutely great. Roast Carrot & Beets Salad was missing the fried chick peas, which were brought to the table once I pointed it out, but they were lack luster, under seasoned that would not have added the contrasting taste/texture component as indented. Fried Cauliflower and Arancini very good. Biggest gripe was sandwich with fried egg and pickled tomato. I think every bite of a sandwich should have each of all its components, so when you have just one thick hard slice of pickled tomato that only covers 50% of the bun (as opposed to several thinner slices covering the whole), only two cris-crossed slices of otherwise great house smoked bacon, and an overcooked local farm fresh egg covering the bun by an inch all around, I wish the cooks would actually sit down and try one of these so they would simply build it better. But overall a very good experience. I was surprised the place was not packed based on value alone. Maybe it's the little tweaks that could take this place to the next level. Look forward to next visit.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Hands down my wife and I's favorite restaurant in Raleigh. Everything we have ordered here has just been phenomenal. The Risotto balls and the Calamari are the best appetizers to try. I recommend the chicken and eggplant parm dishes for entrees.

1  Thank dstadunc