“Southern hospitality, Great Italian food”
Review of Gravy

Gravy
Reserve with OpenTable
Gravy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 1,455 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hargett
Transit: The R line stops around the corner on Hargett and South Wilmington.
Description: Ask any Italian-American what ‘gravy’ is, and they'll tell you it's the pasta sauce that their mothers and grandmothers cooked fresh every night. At Gravy Restaurant we take the same care, preparing our signature sauce every day using select tomatoes and locally grown herbs. The heart and soul poured into the preparation of traditional Italian-American dishes pairs with inspired modern twists and a focus on seasonal ingredients to define Gravy’s unique approach to this classic cuisine.
us
“Southern hospitality, Great Italian food”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We had reservations but there was no table when we arrived so we went to the bar.(Try the Lavender Dreams -it was delicious!!) After about 15 minutes a manager came by and apologized and said she would be sending over a complimentary appetizer. We were seated soon after and the "Risotto Balls" came to the table. They were light and airy with a Panko breading and creamy cheese and Risotto inside. We ordered the calamari which was very good but a tiny bit heavy on the cornmeal. My husband said his Cesar Salad was one of the best he'd eaten and my fresh greens with a Sherry viniagrette was wonderful, my daughter and her husband split the Panzanella salad which was just beautiful and delicious! My Chicken Parmesan was very good although I wish the cutlet was thinner, my son-in-law had the Black Drum special which he said was perfect. The Gnocchi my daughter ordered looked and tasted silky (we all had a bite it looked so good) and my husband ordered the Spaghetti Bolognese which he said was also very good. Dessert and coffee finished off the meal (Gelato and tiny donuts with warm chocolate sauce- yum). The service was excellent. The decor is trendy; the old building lovely. It is quite noisy but, the sound of people enjoying themselves is not terrible. We will return to this restaurant.

• Visited September 2012

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Italian Perfecto!”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

"Gravy" which is simply Italian red sauce.....This was our first visit and will not be out last. It won't be long before we are regulars. The first thing that hits you as you enter is the smell of their "gravy"....mouth watering. All I could think was I hope the food lives up to the smell. It did. The gnocchi was heavenly! My husband ordered the family gravy and ranted about it long after the meal was over. Service was spot on. The manager stopped over a couple of times to make sure everything was perfect, and it was. The appetizer of Risotto balls were awesome, cooked perfectly and the "gravy" they were sitting tasted like it had been simmering homemade on your own stove! Yummy! Shared canolli for dessert which was just a bit too crispy for us, making it difficult to cut into but the filling was very good....not too sweet. Acoustics were a bit loud but its an old building which I love with tall ceilings and thankfully no music to talk over...plus the place was packed so lots of conversations going on....sure they were all talking about how wonderful the food is! We will be back soon!!

• Visited September 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Great service!”
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Had a great meal at Gravy. All their team were very passionate about the food and wine they were serving. Def recommend to others.

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“beautiful restaurant, yummy italian food.”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

my husband and i went for the first time during raleigh's restaurant week this past winter and it was delicious. it is wonderful italian food made with local ingredients. they were crazy busy, but we still got great service.
we just went back again and it was just as good. we were seated immediately for our reservation. our server was knowledgeable about the wine list and recommended a delicious bottle of red that was pretty reasonably priced ($32).
definitely get the risotto cakes as a starter. they are fried drops from heaven! my husband loved the shrimp and angel hair and i would definitely get the lasagna again. we will be back soon and would recommend it to any of our friends.

• Visited August 2012
Apex, North Carolina
“Nice Place. Good Food.”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The wife and I have lived in the area for over 5 years and have heard so many great things about this place. We finally got around to trying it the other night. The environment had a nice vibe and would be a good date place to bring a spouse or significant other. The wait staff was decent. The water servers were 'johnny on the spot', but our waitress was just mediocre. We did ask for a couple mins to look over the menu after her initial stop to get our drink and appetizer order, but it was a good 15mins later until she came back. It was not an overly busy evening either. However the food was very delicious. I ordered the Pork Chop specialty and my wife ordered the Lasagna. Very flavorful and we felt it was worth the price we paid. Overall it was a good experience and we will be back again.

• Visited August 2012