“Great place for kids or go to a movie with adults”

Marbles Kids Museum
Ranked #4 of 155 things to do in Raleigh
More attraction details
Owner description: Marbles Kids Museum is a hands-on, interactive destination that inspires children to be creative thinkers, active learners and confident individuals in today's world. With five galleries and two outdoor escapes, there is no shortage of activity for kids birth to 12 and their families. The campus also features the Wachovia IMAX Theatre at Marbles Kids Museum. This 267-seat giant-screen experience is the only 3D capable IMAX theatre in North Carolina.
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

This is the best screen in raleigh to see a movie it is truly an IMAX experience!!! It's worth the 14.00 and the drive to see a Hollywood blockbuster here. The actual kids museum is a great place for kids; it's always refreshing to see kids using there imagination. The only con is I think this is more for smaller kids toddler-8 or 9.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Fun place, but if you have small children...you REALLY have to keep an eye on them here. Tons of people in and out, lots to do for kids. Decent part of town but you can get off of the beaten path quickly and run into some seedy characters. Pay attention and have fun

Reviewed April 10, 2013

My 11 year old throughly enjoyed our visit. We didn't have time for IMAX, but the museum itself is well worth going to. Giant board games, art areas, sports areas...all were full of kids having a blast.

1  Thank Ravin01
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This was my 3rd visit with grandchildren and they were as excited and as thrilled as ever. Very good architecture and hands-on exhibits.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My grandchild and I arrived at Marbles at about 9:15 on a Saturday morning. There was a parking lot near the IMAX that’s owned by the city. The parking is $2 per hour, or $12 per day; I picked the all-day option. I’d already purchased a Marbles/IMAX combo ticket online, so we went to the museum entrance to get our movie tickets and museum stickers. After milling around the ground floor of the museum for about 30 minutes, we walked back across the courtyard to see "Flight of the Butterflies" in the theater.

Upon returning to the museum area, we saw a room exclusively for toddlers on the left. The lower level of the museum includes an outdoor garden, a water play area, a vet station with toy pets, and a combination grocer/kitchen/café. The second floor includes a health & fitness section, a construction area, and “Moneypalooza,” a large room with monetary-related play exhibits. The place is kept clean; employees frequently go around picking up and putting away stray items. Although they stayed busy, the employees managed to be unobtrusive, not interfering with the children’s play. We had a fun day, and we will return to Marbles again.

Before our visit, I had spoken to a Marbles employee on the phone. He told me that many students arrive on field trips during the week. With that in mind, I figured that the parent-to-child ratio would be smaller on the weekend, so I picked a Saturday for our visit. Although the website says that it takes 3 hours to complete the tour, we were there for a total of 5 hours because there were so many activities, and my grandchild wanted to revisit her favorite exhibit (the kitchen/café). They’d had 3 special activities scheduled that day, including Artrageous, where kids did random artwork.

Be advised that there’s no restaurant; the gift shop has coffee and cocoa at the counter, along with items such as chips, pretzels and trail mix. There is a separate entrance to the gift shop from Blount St, so passersby can walk in and make purchases without going into Marbles. We sat at one of the tables to enjoy a snack. There are also picnic tables in front of the museum if you want to bring your own lunch. There were plenty of restaurants nearby to go to after the visit.

Been to Marbles Kids Museum? Share your experiences!