“Learn a Lot in an Afternoon”

North Carolina Museum of History
Ranked #5 of 151 things to do in Raleigh
More attraction details
Owner description: Explore more than 14,000 years of North Carolina history, from the state's earliest inhabitants through the 20th century. The major exhibition The Story of North Carolina features fascinating artifacts, multimedia presentations, and an interactive format for all ages. Other exhibits highlight the state's military history, sports heroes, decorative arts and more. Monthly programs include children's programs, craft demonstrations and family events. The Museum Shop, featuring North Carolina crafts, and the on-site restaurant Pharaoh's at the Museum are open daily. Admission is free, although some special exhibits require a fee. Free parking is available on weekends in the Jones/Edenton Street lot. Museum hours are Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday, noon to 5 p.m.
Raleigh, North Carolina
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Learn a Lot in an Afternoon”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We re not native to NC so this was a good way to get a fast history lesson. Exhibits change often and the admission is free!

48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Not as nice as the Science Museum”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

After going to the Natural Science museum, I thought the history museum would have just as detailed exhibits. Quite honestly, I wasn't impressed and quickly bored. There aren't very many exhibits and they're not that impressive. The exhibit on military history is nice, but that's really the only memorable thing this museum has to off. This museum is free, just like Natural Sciences museum, but it's not that memorable.

Visited June 2013
Henderson, Nevada
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Learned A Lot About North Carolina”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I learned a lot about North Carolina and its history. This museum is well done and very informative. Now it's a matter of retaining all this info ... old age is a bugger, you know. Nevertheless, while I was in the museum, I enjoyed looking, reading and trying to absorb the many informational offerings. While on the Outer Banks, I saw signs for the "Lost Colony" but to read the explanation and see the timelines in this museum brought everything together to an "aha" moment. So what do you think happened to the "Lost Colony"? Hmmm.

Then to see that exhibit about the Watergate Scandal. Oh my, I never remembered that Senator Sam Ervin was from North Carolina. I barely remembered that event and it was a big event in our history. So I was reminded how it was, what it was about and who were involved. I was a young person then so it was very relevant for me.

It's so great that here is this wonderful building full of North Carolina history and just across the way is the Museum of Natural Sciences. So convenient for us tourist to get from one building to the next.

By the way, parking was just in the next block. It was $2 an hour. Still, we didn't have to drive around and around. Too, the museums are free so it's worth it.

Visited June 2013
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 207 helpful votes
“Nice Museum”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I am not a big fan of history museums, but my husband is and he enjoyed it very much. Lots of interesting facts.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Wanderlust3483
Sacramento
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Well done linear view of NC history”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I felt this is the best state history museum I have experienced. It was very linear and took you through the history of local Indians, pirates, the colonization of North Carolina, the slave trade, the textile industry, the tobacco industry up through modern times. There was also an interesting special exhibit about Watergate and the key role that leaders from North Carolina played in this important event in American History. The museum is also Free! It's a great way to spend a few hours.

Visited May 2013