“Changes to ingredients for the worse”
Review of Chubby's Tacos

Chubby's Tacos
Ranked #111 of 1,456 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Takeout
Description: Have you had a Chubby today? Chubby's Tacos is a taqueria style Mexican restaurant featuring authentic favorites with a few slightly north-of-the-border items thrown in. Everything is fresh! Enjoy the area's best and most unique salsa bar with Chubby's famous fried-in-house chips. And be comforted knowing that we serve only Certified Angus Beef with no Trans Fats and no MSG. Try us once and you too will be a Chubby Lover!
Cary, North Carolina
“Changes to ingredients for the worse”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We’ve been eating at Chubby's for the past few years and have recommended them highly as they are the best authentic Mex-Tex (similar to boarder food, not actually what most south-westerners would call Tex-Mex style) Mexican restaurants in NC. Our visit last night left us saddened though. We ordered nachos and a shredded beef taco. When we tried the nacho's we both noticed a difference in the taste of the meat. Neither of us said anything as it was not too profound. When I received my shredded beef taco I noticed that there was a definite difference in the taste. I have an extra sensitive ability to taste food (since I was young) but this was also perceptible to both of us. I sampled meat only and went through the process of trying to distinguish what the difference was. It seemed that the seasoning had changed for the worse. At first I thought they were using a small portion of Anise (or even a hint of nutmeg) though there was not a strong licorice taste. Whatever ingredient was used, I thought, didn’t pair well with other spices. After a few more tastes I noticed that one of the subtle things I was tasting was similar to a hint of mild mildew or something in that neighborhood (I know that sometimes if cumin is old or mixed with certain things it can give that type of smell/taste). I couldn't finish or taste and left the taco on my plate. We asked the waiter if the seasonings were different and he confirmed that the "recipe" had been changed by the staff recently (within 2 weeks). I let him know my concerns and told him the differences I noticed in the taste and gave suggestions of what it actually might be (old seasoning, cheap seasoning, new ingredient that he was not aware of). I also asked him if he knew of any marketing study had been done on the new tastes. He did not know. We suspected the new ingredients also accounted for the slight difference we detected on the ground beef on our nachos. Though they were palatable the main complaint was that you could no longer taste the rich meat flavor that we were used to as the “new” seasoning covers up any hint of beef flavor. I'm wondering if the effect of the economic downturn we have experienced over the past few years has resulted in a downgrade (cheaper) of Chubby’s ingredients. I'm sure if no marketing was done there is an assumption that customers would not notice. Most everyone knows that it’s risky to mess with success, in particular the taste that a particular restaurant has become known for.. I have seen more then one restaurant in my lifetime down-grade their ingredients, sacrificing the taste that their customers have come to appreciate, and pay for it by going out of business. Maybe I’m a lone voice and an anomaly in their customer mix, but as a result we cannot recommend Chubby's anymore. We have decided that we will not return. The sad part is that they have the best tortilla's and salsas in the state! What a loss.

• Visited March 2012

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Outstanding Mexican food with wonderful Margaritas!”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Split a pitcher of Margaritas---the specials are great, but so are the plain old lime 'ritas! There's something for every appetite at Chubby's...just chips or a single taco to nosh on, or the HUGE chimichangas...with rice & beans if you're HONGRY!!! Vegetarian fare is available, along with fish, pork,2 kinds of beef, and chicken. There's a choice of flour/corn tortillas---or none at all. The Guacamole is excellent, but the factor that makes a trip to Chubby's special is the salsa bar---several kinds of freshly made salsa---verde, tomato, habanero, avacado, and more; eat all your taste buds can stand!

• Visited January 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Favorite Mexican food for cheap eats”
Reviewed September 14, 2011

If I had to choose between Chubbys/Q'Doba/Moes/Salsarita/ <insert chain taco place here>, I definitely choose Chubbys.

Food is made to order and tastes great. Salsa bar has lots of different flavors to try. Tried several types of meat and items on the menu, never been disappointed. I still need to eat that smothered fried chimichanga..it's probably a heart attack waiting to happen, so I'll need to starve myself for the day before eating it, but I know it'll be worth it.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Aspiring_Critic
Wake Forest, NC
“Great tacos & salsa bar”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I'm a Raleigh local, and this is a great place to go for inexpensive, yet good mexican food. Choices for your tacos are endless (lots of options!! ) Burritos are HUGE, and the Fried Ice Cream is a definite hit! I love the salsa bar choices - my favorite is the Guacamillo (sp?). My only complaint is there is not enough seating, but the friendly staff were clearing tables as fast as they could. This is a can't miss if you are looking for a inexpensive, family friendly mexican place.

• Visited August 2011
Raleigh, NC
“Excellent Cheap Eats”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We eat here at 3-4 times a month. It is economical, especially with the "make it a meal" deal. The fish tacos are good, but the Tinga chicken is a favorite. Very good chips, but I'm not a big fan of the salsas (except the salsa verde, which is good). Extremely casual joint.

• Visited July 2011