“Amazing art musuem”

North Carolina Museum of Art
Ranked #3 of 152 things to do in Raleigh
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the leading art museums in the American South, the North Carolina Museum of Art (NCMA) recently completed a major, three-year expansion that places it in the front ranks of museums nationwide. The NCMA offers a permanent collection spanning more than 5,000 years, a variety of celebrated exhibitions and public programs, an amphitheater for outdoor performances, and the nation’s largest museum park—164 acres of trails and parkland containing major works of art.
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I were staying in Raleigh/Durham for a couple of weeks while awaiting the birth of a grandchild and had the opportunity to visit many places in the area. This museum being one of them. What an amazing place from outdoor space to different and changing art to permanent installations. There is also a great restaurant there as well. We did not have a chance to dine there but would look forward to the opportunity to do so on our next visit. This museum is a must while staying the area.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

We have been here many times and enjoy every visit. It's great that there is no fee for the regular exhibits, so everyone can visit the museum. They have a wonderful variety of special exhibits too. I love being able to take a walk on the paths and look at the outdoor exhibits too.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This art museum has a wide variety of art and a very pleasant restaurant. If you need one and are lucky they have one power wheelchair as well as a number of manual ones. They often have very good special exhibits.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you like art or want something different, this is a good place to check out. Lots of great classic art, especially Rhodan sculture, but also lots of famous paintings. Definitely highbrow but great for a different, rainy afternoon. Restaurant was closed when we were there so can't rate it. It used to be good for lunch

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I'm used to major museums (the MoMa in NYC, etc) so my expectations were not that high. I was surprisingly delighted. Their special exhibitions are very good...I saw a lovely Rembrandt exhibition here. They have a number of Rodin pieces and a Rodin garden with his sculptures. If I lived closer, I would be a much more frequent guest.

Been to North Carolina Museum of Art? Share your experiences!