“Beautiful garden with lots to see”

JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University
Ranked #7 of 152 things to do in Raleigh
More attraction details
Owner description: Part of the North Carolina State University, this eight-acre garden contains a wide variety of cold hardy temperate zone plants.
Reviewed August 8, 2014

The Raulston Arboretum is a nice garden located near NC State. The lady working in the visitors center was very friendly and knowledgable. I was admiring an agave bloom when she preceded to tell me about the plant and where to locate it. I enjoyed the different sections so as to make it seem as if you are traveling around the world. My sister and I started in the desert area and made our way to the Asian plants. There is a conifer area and then just flowers. It was a nice place to go and enjoy nature. There were quite a few wilted or dying plants. And the parking lot was tiny. Those are the only cons.

1  Thank JenniCrab
There are newer reviews for JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University

Reviewed August 5, 2014

It's a great place to walk and talk quietly with friends and family, or to take kids when they need a little outside activity. Most plants are well-labeled, so it's pretty easy to see what's what. I became a member some time ago, and I love the plant sales and workshops!!

1  Thank Mara B
Reviewed August 1, 2014

The JC Raulston Arboretum is a true treasure of a place! Beautiful gardens, easy walking, a center for classes, and more! Part of North Carolina State University, there is a remarkable variety of plants and plant settings. I highly recommend it!

2  Thank Pamela P
Reviewed July 18, 2014

We visited the Arboretum expecting to spend an hour walking around. We found ourselves spending the whole afternoon enjoying the many different "rooms" of foliage. I highly recommend this place if you enjoy researching and experiencing different types of plantings.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We spent a Sunday morning visiting the JC Raulston Arboretum. This is a gem of a place and well worth the visit. Plants and trees from everywhere in the world, acclimatized to the Southeast. If you are in need of some planting ideas for your home, or are new to this area, do yourself a favor and come here first to familiarize yourself and get some ideas. Will definitely come back in spring to experience it then. Glad we went!