“Great hiking and biking park”
Review of Umstead State Park

Umstead State Park
Ranked #6 of 152 things to do in Raleigh
More attraction details
Owner description: Sandwiched between downtown Raleigh and the airport, this oasis of green features a stand of 300+ year-old hardwood trees, more than 32 miles of hiking, biking and horseback riding trails, camp sites and lots more for nature lovers.
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Have visited here for years and really love the variety of trails available for hiking and biking. This park is very large with several entrances so you can switch up what hike/bike route you want to take. I mostly walk my dog there. The roads are compacted gravel and then there are woodland trails and a couple of spots where there's water fountains. Horses are also ridden out here. Beautiful Big Lake is always a nice spot to visit. There's a smaller lake too that's a little hidden. Company Mill trail takes you by where a mill used to be. Several restrooms and some shelters available too. There's even a small campground. Very scenic and even on a busy weekend, you often find a little solitude.

1  Thank Claudia D
There are newer reviews for Umstead State Park

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I have come across very few places where you can get lost in greenery and peace in the middle of a big city. We live 10 minutes drive away from Umstead Park and it's definitely our favorite spot. It has lots of trails for walking, hiking and options for camping and pickniking. Camp sites do not have electrical outlets.

1  Thank MomofRanu
Reviewed March 30, 2014

we are so lucky to live in the middle of this amazing loop trail, check it out online:

bike to I-40 side of umstead state park, reedy creek trail, around past airport overlook, then over I-40
connects with Lake Crabtree County park, over the dam for the lake
connects with Cary city Black Creek Greenway
which connects with our neighborhood

I always think - yay! our tax dollars at work, so worth it

my fav time is winter when you can see thru the trees

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Find a trail and start walking... sort of... grab a map. Many trails to fit different experienced hikers. I think there is even a equestrian and bikers trail. There are camping facilities - pup tents or a lodge to rent (I dont know the details.) In the summer there is boating. They offer many exploring classes for children. We even saw deer the last few times we have been there. Picnic areas and hidden away in the back is a large open field.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Cover yourself in bug spray during the summer, the bugs/ticks can be quite bad, however there is nothing like the streams and trails. Year round the trails can be enjoyed by cyclists, walkers, and runners.

1  Thank Faith K

Been to Umstead State Park? Share your experiences!