“Great food, friendly staff but the bathroom.....”
Review of The Oxford - CLOSED

The Oxford
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Martin St
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Walking down the street in downtown, I found this "gastropub," which has the makings of a real winner. It was a Saturday with a street festival going on outside, so I was a bit surprised to see it quite empty for lunch, but it filled up quite a bit during my time inside. Servers are friendly and knowledgable, if a bit slow. Food was spot on - I tried one of their soups, a salad and sandwich.

I was surprised then when I walked into the women's restroom. It really needs to be deep cleaned from top to bottom. The inside of the stall door had something that appeared to be feces on it the floor was atrocious, and the sinks pretty gross.

Apart from the bathrooms, I would go back.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Oxford is great because you have three options for seating. You cant dine in a dimly lit area inside for a romantic dinner, sit at the high tables or bar in the adjacent section, or dine outside on Fayetteville St.

We ate on a Wednesday night and had the $5.00 martinis on ladies night. Our dinner was delicous and the service was great.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

this is a good place to get a hearty american meal. the food was good, the service was ok, it was pretty late so I guess the staff was tired. I will go back.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We lived south of Raleigh for 5 years and they opened this gastropub after we left. Pretty cool decor and vibe. Not overly packed w/ people. The appetizer we ordered was pretty good. Drinks were good. Went there half a handful of times during our stay in Raleigh.

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

One of our team is retiring this week and chose The Oxford for her farewell lunch. She was disappointed with her choice. The food, as always, was great. The hostess cane across as snooty and too busy to deal with our "large group" of 6 people. All of their table settings are geared toward a party size of 4. Perhaps we should have made reservations but the place was empty and we were only 6 in number. The service was mediocre. Our server was always MIA when we needed him. The music they chose to play was objectionable; not profane but inappropriate for a dining atmosphere. The snooty hostess told us that they played it because it was "British". It was too loud and raucous for lunch, in our group's humble opinion. We likely won't return any time soon, especially for event lunches. This place has great food. We expected more out of them and they disappointed.