“The price was amazing, but the cleanliness, smells, and appearance need lots of fixing.”

Best Western Raleigh North-Downtown
Ranked #43 of 86 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We have a king sized bed, and we're all the way in a separate part of the hotel. As soon as you walk into the hallway you get hit by a nasty smell. Then as soon as you go into your room it's outdated and looks dirty. The price is excellent; however we won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank gamerfan2004
BWRaleigh, General Manager at Best Western Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for your recent review of the Best Western Raleigh North Downtown. I apologize that your stay was not as you would expect from a Best Western. We are in the process of completly renovating all of our rooms. We have completed a large majority of the rooms but the building you stayed in has not been started yet. We are adding new carpets,televisons, wall design, and furniture to all of our rooms. I hope that if you return to Raleigh you will give us another chance and I would be happy to take your reservation and can assure you that your stay will be much better the next time.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Raleigh North-Downtown

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Best Westerns can be up or down; they are not very consistent. Therefore, I was reasonably surprised by this one. The room was certainly comfortable and sufficient for my short (one night) stay. I didn't try the morning breakfast. It didn't look any different, better or worse, than numerous other places. And, if you're worried about it, there is a Dunkin' Donuts/Baskin Robbins right next door. All-in-all I think it was reasonably priced and a reasonable place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
BWRaleigh, General Manager at Best Western Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Thank you for your recent review of the Best Western Raleigh North Downtown. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the room was comfortable and provided a good value. We do have an extensive complimentary breakfast daily and the Dunkin Donuts next door to us also provides all types of sandwiches and ice cream throughout the day. I hope you will return in the very near future to our Hotel because we have many new and exciting changes occuring.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Checked in for one night Saturday around 2pm. They were nice enough to accomodate us since we were 1 hr before check in. Front desk staff was pleasant. Lobby was nice looking. The layout of the hotel was a little weird though. In order to get to our room we had 2 choices - exit the lobby, go outside and enter in the next building (~10 feet away) but there was no parking close to that door OR exit the lobby, go outside and drive around to where the other entry door was which was kind of around the corner and in back of the building - this was okay during the day but a little shady at night. long story short, getting to our room on the first floor was not very convenient but nothing majorly aggravating. I was a little surprised that a refrigerator and/or microwave did nto come standard in our king bed sized room. I went back to the website to doublecheck and it says microwave and refrigerator "available by request" which I've never heard of before until now. As we were in and out all day and night we completely forgot about the fact that you could "request" it so we went without when we really could've used one. There is a small patio area right outside of the room that is accessed by a sliding glass door which my husband liked because it was easy to go out and smoke without doing it in our room but honestly it made me a little nervous as it would be easy access for a intruder. I believe rooms on the 2nd and 3 rd floors had a balcony. If I were to stay there again and I was by myself or with girlfriends I would probably request a 2nd or 3rd floor room. We missed breakfast but I understand it was until 10am Sunday. In the informational binder, there was a brochure for room service but we never ordered from it or noticed anyone else having room service so I'm not sure if that is something current that they do. Most of the prices weren't bad though. Checkout was easy and fast. The location is very convenient to the mall (~4 exits away). there is a dunkin doughnuts/baskin robbins literally next door, a pool hall a couple of lights down, food lion a couple of lights down. i guess it was okay priced considering we did get a king sized room

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. Our Hotel is designed a little different because there is a part of the Hotel that is detached from the Lobby area. We do take the safety and security of our Hotel very seriously and all of our rooms have have proper locking devices installed. We also staff that is monitoring all of the interior and exterior of the hotel . I am glad that you overall enjoyed your stay and I hope you will return the next time you visit Raleigh.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Two members of the front desk staff were exceptionally helpful and patient.
Luke was a great assist in helping me get the heat started in my room, sleuthing out why my room key didn't work to open the outside door to my building (I was holding the card key too near the remote control to my car). He was the essence of patience and professionalism.
Terry was working the front desk when I arrived and when I let two days later. She helped me locate nearby restaurants, gave me good directions for where I needed to go, and gave me a sense of comfort and security in her professionalism and helpfulness.
I'd go back to this hotel because of these two alone.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
BWRaleigh, General Manager at Best Western Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Best Western Raleigh North Downtown. I was so pleased to hear about the exceptional service you received from Terri and Luke. They both have been working for the Hotel for many years and are true leaders. They set an example for all the staff and are especially helpful teaching our new staff members about Guest Service. I consider myself very lucky to have two such exceptional staff members. We hope you return soon so that we can continue to provide you with this service that you expect.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The coffee machine in the room wasn't working - got a replacement.
The shower is weird, there is a sharp object right where the drain is.

Overall, it has an old and musty feel to it, but they are renovating the rooms in the ground floor of the building I am in.

The staff are courteous and polite, but don't expect the world.

For the money paid, this is pretty decent.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
BWRaleigh, General Manager at Best Western Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the Best Western Raleigh North Downtown. I apologize that the room smelled musty and the Coffeemaker was not working. Having a fresh smelling room with working amenites is our number one goal. We have begun renovating our Guest rooms and we are very excited about the changes to our hotel. The rooms will have brand new carpet, Furniture, fixtures and flat screen televisions. We hope that if you return to Raleigh you will give our Hotel another chance and have the opportunity to enjoy and experience all the exciting changes that are taking place on the property.

Mike Dillon

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I would not call this hotel 2 1/2 stars, but for the $100 I paid for 2 nights on HW, I can't really complain. They did upgrade me and my wife to a king-size room for free, and the staff we encountered were friendly. The breakfast of waffles (yum!!!), fruit, instant oatmeal and grits, muffins, and cereal was fine, it would be nice if they had some protein options such as eggs or bacon/sausage. Dunkin Donuts is next door and you are also right next to 440 for easy access to the rest of Raleigh.

Room Tip: avoid the rooms in the front if you can, they have very harsh morning sunlight!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed at this motel for 2 days. I had a room over looking the pool area with a balcony, what a great room. The mattress weren't all that great, but they were in the process of replacing all beds. The breakfast was pretty good also, just needed a microwave to heat the pastry;s. Coffee was available all the time in the lobby. Sure would have liked to have a refridge and microwave in the room but was not available. Downtown was close so it was sightseeing in the afternoons.
This was a good visit and security was great.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank roadwarrior988
BWRaleigh, General Manager at Best Western Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Thank you for your recent comments about your stay at the Best Western Raleigh North Downtown. I was very pleased to hear your positive comments about the rooms and breakfast. We have completed putting all new beds in our guest rooms and we have some more new and exciting changes coming in the next few months. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Mike Dillon