“Convenient Raleigh location in dire need of renovation”

Best Western Raleigh North-Downtown
Ranked #40 of 86 Hotels in Raleigh
Wilmington, Delaware
“Convenient Raleigh location in dire need of renovation”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

This Best Western is located just outside the Beltline on Capital Boulevrd in Raleigh, NC. It is an older facility, not originally buit as a Best Western and it's age is showing.

I booked the room through an online discout site and was pleasantly surpised to find I had booked a suite. The pleasantness dissipated quickly as soon as walked into the room. There was a very heavy smell of paint or something similar throughout the room. The room had operable windows, but no screens, so I opened the windows and turned on the AC fan and left the room. When I returned several hours later, the odor had lessened, but still significant. By the end of my two night stay, the odor was almost gone. I would expect it to build back with the windows closed.

The carpet had been patched in several places and had a lager stain in the bedroom from what appeared to be wallboard mud.

The worst problem for me was the condition of the electrical outlets. The outlets in my room were old and would no longer hold a plug. I had to unplug some of the inroom appliances to get enough outlets to charge my gadgets. I set the alarm on my phone and plugged in my phone before going to sleep. When I awoke, the charger plug had fallen from the outlet and my phone had discharged causing me to oversleep. Ughhhh .....

The wireless internet in my room was acceptable in both rooms, but I noticed two different people further up the hall sitting in their doorways in order to connect to the the local network. I all fairness, I had no way of knowing if it were a system problem or a user problem.

Those problems aside, I would stay in this hotel again. I would book my room through the hotel's website or by phone rather than through a consolidator.

The lobby was clean and the breakfast was better than most typically found at budget - mid priced hotels. The front desk crew were all very pleasant and helpful on the questions I asked them.

I wouldn't reccommend this hotel to anyone with low tolerances for annoyance, but otherwise I thought it was a good value, better than average food and very convenient downtown location.

Room Tip: Consider calling the hotel directly when booking a room. It appeared some of the buildings had been...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
BWRaleigh, General Manager at Best Western Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of the Best Western Raleigh North. I apologize for the condition of the room you stayed in. We are always making improvements to our Guest Rooms and the paint smell was from recent improvements we made in that building. I have personally had our Maintenance team go into the rooms in this building and check and replace any electrical outlets that may be worn. It is very important that we pay close attention to every small detail in the guest room to insure that our guests have a problem free stay. Please feel free to contact me for your next stay and I will make sure everything is greatly improved.

Best Western Raleigh North

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 15, 2012

My fiancee and I stayed here after attending a beer festival in Downtown Raleigh over a weekend. The lobby has a very sharp appearance and the staff at the front desk were courteous and friendly. The elevator up to higher floors was very quick, which I really appreciated. The rooms were cleaned very well and stocked with everything I would expect from a Best Western: shampoo/conditioner, soaps, cups/ice container, coffee maker w/travel cups, fridge and microwave, orking AC/Heat, etc.. While there was an altercation in the hallway just past midnight the one night we stayed here, a quick call to the front desk took care of the issue within minutes. This is great service, as a hotel cannot not keep complete control over its customers who choose to misbehave and the hotel will not know about an incident until they are informed of it. It was not a serious issue and was resolved very quickly after a call was made. The breakfast in the morning was spectacular for the "per night" price of the room and it left me full and satisfied with coffee "to go" for my drive back home.

Overall, it was a great experience and I would definitely stay here again if I had a meeting, event or vacation in the area!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of our property. I was very happy to hear about your positive experience at our hotel. While we cannot control our guest behaviors, we do have on site security that can handle all noise complaints and any other incidents. Raleigh has many great events like the Beer Festival you attended. I hope the next time you come to Raleigh you will again select our hotel.

Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed at this Best Western 40 times in 2011, and most experiences were excellent. The front desk staff cannot be beat, and I have supported and recommended this motel to all friends, but this past weekend needs serious attention on many counts. I was truly, truly disappointed. When I went online to make reservations, I could not find the kind of room I wanted (2 queen beds, no smoking), so I called the hotel directly. I was told there were no rooms of this type available for the weekend. I like the motel so much that I decided instead of going elsewhere to stay, I would try to get a room through AARP - which I did without problem. This was within 2 minutes of being told there were none.
When I arrived at the hotel, there was no minirefrigerator or microwave in the room, which I had come to expect. Upon inquiry, I was told that "You don't get these if you use Expedia."
Apparently AARP uses Expedia for their reservations. Of course, I did not get points for my stay as I always had in the past.
That was not the worst. At 2:00 AM I was startled by some kind of altercation in the hall. I called the office to ask that security be sent, but though I let the phone ring for a full 5 minutes, no one ever answered. About 6:00 AM a young girl (judging from the voice) ran up and down the hall screaming "Mommy, mommy."
Still not the worst. It was very warm Saturday night. The air conditioner was cut down as low as it would go, the fan on high, but still the room was so muggy that I did not sleep one wink all night long. The a/c would cut on for about 1 minute, then off for 10, then back on for 1, etc. A terrible night on what seemed to be a much harder bed than usual. Maybe that's because I was so miserable, but no pillowtop mattress for sure.
They are touting their "improved" breakfast, but there is still almost nothing suitable for those of us with diabetes who avoid high sugar foods as well as pork.
I will stay here many more times I am sure. I do love the location, and the employees usually are extraordinary, but this weekend was so bad that I felt I had to comment.

Room Tip: I have no idea! Most have been good to excellent. This awful one was truly the exception.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
BWRaleigh, General Manager at Best Western Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on Trip Advisor. I want to apologize that your stay was not up to the standards that you expect when you stay at the Best Western Raleigh North. I wanted to address your specific concerns. We did not have any two bedded rooms available that weekend and we do allot Expedia rooms because they bring a large amount of volume to us on a nightly basis. I apologize that you had trouble contacting the desk after hearing a loud altercation in the hall. I will personally look into why the phone rang for such a lengthy time. We are lucky enough to have security on the property and they are on duty to keep the property safe and noise free. While we have added many new food items to our Breakfast, we are always listening to our guests regarding what they would like to see on the Breakfast. Best Western has standards that we must follow but we can also add items if our guests ask for them. I do realize that you are loyal to our hotel and I would be happy to meet with you the next time you visit to personally apologize for your recent stay.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed February 19, 2012

I was having a perfectly nice stay here. It has a good location and is clean and decent overall. But I woke up to at least 15 police cars surrounding the hotel and watching cops stroll the property with large guns. I'm lucky I wasn't on the evacuated floor, but the fact that no details were provided left me and a few of my fellow guests confused and scared. I still don't know what happened but I wouldn't stay again based on this experience.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Mybincs
BWRaleigh, General Manager at Best Western Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I apologize that your stay was interrupted by the Police situation that occured at our hotel. There was a situation that involved one guest room. In order to keep all the guests and staff safe the hotel staff allowed the Police to handle the situation. In the end it did take about two hours but no guests or staff were harmed in any way and the whole event was over by 10:00am. I apologize for the confusion this event caused and this was a rare situation that had to be addressed so that nobody was injured. Please feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to discuss this event with you.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

I was returning with wife sister and 2 yrs old kid to Orlando comming from DC. Pick up Raleigh to stay because of a friend of mine that told me this was a very quiet town. THe town was really quiet, at this hotel the staff was really polite at the front desk but they gave us a room at the south building and the accommodations were really old and outdated to be a best western but that was just bearable, I found really unpleasant bumps and door slamming at 2 am in the morning my sister wife and me were really uncomfortable with those noises. Besides all of this the breakfast was really nice.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank rmorenof
BWRaleigh, General Manager at Best Western Raleigh North-Downtown, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Thank you for your recent comments about your stay. I apologize that the room you received was not up to the expectations that you want from a Best Western Property. We are planning on doing some upgrades to our guest rooms and putting in some new furniture which we expect to greatly improve our Hotel. Thank you for the kind comments about the Desk staff and the Breakfast. We hope the next time you visit Raleigh you will come see all the exciting new changes that we plan on implementing this year.

Marshville, North Carolina
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Great value, good location. I have stayed in other hotels in the area.
and did not feel safe.I was impressed with the security company located on the property. Breakfast was good, room clean, but lacked outlets at desk area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve M
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I was very pleased to read your comments about our onsite security team. We have just started this relationship and we have heard many positive responses from our guests. While we are a very safe property, it is very beneficial to have additional resources available to keep the Guests, Staff, and facility safe.