Hampton Inn and Suites Raleigh/Cary-I-40 (PNC Arena)
Ranked #6 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 25, 2010

We stayed here while checking out the Raleigh area for a possible relocation. I never expect much from places like the Hampton Inn- just a safe place, and a clean and comfy bed. This Hampton Inn really delivers, though.

Our room was really spacious, with a nice big living room, a kitchenette and a HUGE bathroom- I loved the whirlpool tub, which was always spotlessly clean.

The common areas were lovely. The breakfast room/lounge area was huge and clean, and the breakfast was really tasty. The staff working at breakfast were really friendly, too. Last, but not least, there's a great patio area with comfy seats right outside the lounge. That and the pool are surrounded by trees, making it feel really secluded. Overall, a great stay!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 27, 2010

We enjoyed the extra amentities that are provided at this hotel ie, comfortable seating/tables on the patio (not just for smokers) and large enough for several groups without feeling crowded. We also enjoyed the friendly staff even giving us chilled water at our departure. Very good and pleasant stay. We'll be back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2010

I love this hotel. Wonderful location and the lady who checked me in was an absolute hero. I left some personal items at home when I was rushed to head to Raleigh for a last minute business trip and she helped me find everything I needed! The room was clean and comfortable and I will always visit this Hampton anytime I am in Raleigh, which hopefully will be often!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times as I travel to this area frequently. I have always enjoyed my stay and felt it was a safe environment. All areas of hotel are clean, staff are attentive and curteous, beds very comfortable. I have stayed at other hotels in the area and cannot say all these things.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 10, 2010

If you value spaciousness, cleanliness and style in an affordable hotel, this one will not dissapoint. Convenient to the west side of Raleigh, NC State University and Cary, this Hampton Inn is set in a wooded enclave just off I-40. It has a large all wood lobby reminiscent of a grand lodge that works well for socializing, palying games, as well as enjoying the free breakfast. You do have to drive to restaurants. We've stayed there 4 times over the past 3 years (Kids in college nearby). Service has always been tops.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I have stayed at a lot of Hampton Inns because I find that they offer consistent, decent accommodations. While in Raleigh for the bar exam, I chose this hotel because of its convenient location to the exam. This hotel far exceeded the typical Hampton Inn experience.

The staff members were some of the friendliest I have ever encountered. The hotel is very large for a Hampton Inn, and has a large common area ("the lodge"), where they offered a happy hour in the late afternoon, with fresh popcorn, chips/salsa, beer/wine, soft drinks, etc., all free of charge. There were always fresh-baked cookies available as well. The lodge area has a fireplace, and exit to an outdoor sitting area. It is also where the complimentary breakfast is served in the morning (well stocked, plenty of space to eat). The business center is in this area as well, and there is a separate little lounge area with tv and sofas.

The outdoor pool is not terribly big, but is set among pretty pine trees and has a nice deck - in general, much better than many outdoor pools at hotels in this price range, which so often look like they were just plunked down in the middle of the parking lot.

The fitness center was being renovated, but a temporary one was set up, with the typical amenities.

The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. We had a flat screen tv, refrigerator, and microwave. The shower was very nice as well - great shower head, plenty of pressure, and the curved shower rod that gives you more light and space in the shower itself. Free wifi connected easily and while it wasn't as fast as my connection at home, I didn't have any trouble with it whatsoever.

Location is good - plenty of restaurants and shopping are less than 5 minutes away, and there is easy interstate access. Plenty of (free) parking available. Gas station basically adjacent to the parking lot, so that was convenient for filling up the car and stocking up on snacks, although the hotel had a good selection of snacks and toiletries available for purchase in the lobby as well.

In short, this hotel offered the nicest amenities (plus super friendly staff and clean, comfy rooms) I have encountered at this range of hotel. I can't say enough good things about it and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank nocares67
Reviewed August 1, 2010

If you like what Hampton Inns typically offer, you'll love it here. The property and property staff are quality-oriented and customer-service oriented (even more so that at the typical HI) and, while this is not a "full-service, upscale" property, you're certainly getting a lot of bang for your buck here!

I stayed in what is basically a 1-bedroom apartment, about 750 sq. ft., with a kitchen, two flat screen TVs and a Jacuzzi on a Friday night for 117 smackers out-the-door. Do I have your attention now?

The staff certainly aims to please. I was called an hour after check-in to assure the room was to my satisfaction. Even the graveyard deskman was extra courteous. When I checked out, the hotel manager was working the desk. He glanced at the list of my special requests, and specifically asked if each one was fulfilled. My entire stay I observed, again and again, desk staff spending a great deal of time supporting customers at-desk and on-the-phone.

The property is very attractive, again more so than the typical HI. Management is clearly investing and RE-investing in this property. Out back there is a pool area and huge patio area that could seat probably 50 or more with huge comfy seating ... and two gas grills for guest use. The whole pool area is draped in trees that isolate it, making it cozy and insulating it from traffic and noise. Really, the entire grounds feels very secluded due to the landscaping.

The center lobby/lounge area is very large, done in a rustic/lodge-like decor with a large fireplace as the centerpiece. There are two computers for guest use, with large, wide screens. And of course there's the usual breakfast nook with 24/7 coffee and fresh fruit snacking except graveyard shift. Also one of those snack-for-sale kiosks with chips, nuts, cold sodas and such. The property also has a couple of small conference rooms that seat about 50 each. Fitness center. In-room Internet wireless, which I believe was free.

The location is pretty durn good. 100 yards from access to I-40, minutes from RTP and maybe 12 minutes to the North Raleigh / Crabtree Mall area via 440. There's a 24/7 Shell gas station on the outparcel (which, apparently, this franchisee also owns). Not much eatin' in the immediate area. However, I drove 3 miles north (to exit 287, five minutes tops) and there found lots of choices in all prices ranges - from Subway to Ruth's Chris Steak House.

The manager asked me for areas of improvement. There's no deal-breakers here, that's for sure:

* I had to take the TV remote to the desk for a new battery (they're fixed
so you can't do it yourself).

* My request to have duvets/blanket off-the-bed and out-of-the-room
on check-in was not fulfilled.

* My high-floor request was not fulfilled.

* Housekeeping tried to enter the room three times before check-out.
(I did NOT have the DND sign out.)

All in all, this is a very, very impressive Hampton Inn, especially when you consider the value priced in. Unless you are looking for what a full-service luxury/upscale property offers, you couldn't possibly go wrong staying here.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo