“Simply stated, this place is a dump! If given the choice I recommend you sleep in your car. .”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Raleigh
Ranked #70 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Bags of trash sat by the elevator until I could no lLonger wait them out and called to complain at 1am. The free wifi really means come to the lobby and connect. The ac unit made me afraid of the air I was breathing. Looking for flatscreens? Try Magnavox. Didn't they stop making those 20 years ago? I wanted really needed a hot bath, and guess what no stopper. I had to go to the lobby to get oNe. The room simply didn't appear clean. Everything is

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank DeborahFromVA

Reviewed July 4, 2011

I made the mistake of staying at the Microtel Inn & Suites overnight prior to an early-morning departure from Raleigh-Durham airport.

The room wasn't very clean.

It was possible to hear the guests in adjacent rooms. TV was tiny.
And the shuttle took forever to arrive to pick me up from the airport (while I waited outside in the freezing cold).

You can do better by choosing an alternative place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Liteh
Reviewed May 26, 2011

This is the worst hotel, motel, or campsite I've ever been in. The outside doors were broken, the cable to the security cameras were cut, the cable tv was all snowy, the beds were lumpy. I got about 5 hours sleep and woke up with a horrible backache. One tiny pillow per person, the carpeting is dirty and worn...too much to list. Not sure I'd recommend this place to an enemy.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank wasmarine
Reviewed May 4, 2011

All the other reviews are not exaggerating-I wish I would have read. I have stayed literally all over the world at hotels and microtel always been my choice for any state in the US; I have really quickly revised that. Rude is an understatement with the staff; the rooms were horrible with food, etc all over that we scrubbed off ourselves, the elevator can't be summed up as anything but nasty with a faint smell of something very close to weed. It is run-down and obviously not in a great area. I can actually even get over most of the previously posted room problems that I observed as well but the guest staff was beyond rude with nothing working right in the room and no help. From the minute I just asked for a room there was a huge attitude; I was just tired and desperate but I agree-should have slept in the car.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank stargazerdj
Reviewed May 3, 2011

We booked a one night stay at this hotel for Buffett's 4/19/11 Concert in Raleigh at Walnut Creek. I needed a hotel I could easily find to check into...Then make an easy, quick trip to Walnut Creek and back...And in the morning, get to RDU with little effort and on time. I was not interested in frills, luxury, pampering: Just a clean, inexpensive place to sleep and shower easily located off I 440 and close to Walnut Creek. Upon check in, the guy at the desk asked if we were going to the concert and offered a shuttle. Eh, for any other performer, this might have been an option, however, Parrot Heads know the party starts in the parking lot and there's gear in your car. ;) He verified my ID, and with a few clicks of a mouse began telling us where the room was and about breakfast. We asked for a 5:30 AM wake up call (which we got), took a few steps and up the elevator we went to our room. Having been on the road for quite some time, all 3 of us had to "check out" the bathroom and was priority numero uno. Musty smell? Hey, this is NC, it's a swamp, every thing, every where, with the exception of maybe January and February, is damp and musty. The coast is worse and it's like that all the way to Florida! I will say this hotel did not have any notable odors. There were clearly other Parrot Heads staying in the hotel, from the cars in the parking lot to men in grass skirts, we were among the phlock. Bathroom checked out fine. The room itself had a neat little bonus - A daybed of sorts in front of a window that actually opened! Wow! The TV was in an odd spot, but, truth be told, we weren't there to watch TV and it was never turned on. The walls behind the bed were mirrored from corner to corner which may give some the 'no tell motel' impression, but, again, we weren't there for that. We dropped the excess luggage and went on to Walnut Creek. CON: You have to make a right out of the parking lot, go up to the next light, and make a U turn to go to Walnut or get on the interstate. Very simple though, and, of course, not the hotel's fault. NC DMV and DOT is full of "what the heck?!" examples though. CON: Aside from the gas station and a Burger King, there is nothing in this neighborhood by way of food or drink. Upon our return from Walnut Creek, traffic went the opposite direction making it a beautiful, short drive back. Entering the hotel parking lot via the gas station out front, I didn't have a problem finding a decent parking spot, and entrance to the lobby was via key card. The attendant did come to the window to see if we were checking in or returning - A good sign they're paying attention. The walk to the room was shockingly quiet given where we'd just left, knowing more of the same were staying there. Upon entering our room, low and behold, there was the excess luggage - Untouched and right where we left it. Our mistake was turning on the AC before we left - It works all too well and thus the discovery the window did in fact open. The beds were very comfortable, we all slept very well and undisturbed with the window open til that requested wake up call came on time. Three of us showered in hot water with decent water pressure using our own toiletries (two of us being females who, as well all know, need more hot water than males). Bath towels and washcloths were clean and I would be shocked if they'd been used and washed more than twice. The bathroom fan had great ventilation - Noisy, but it did the job. To the right of the elevator in the lobby was a small coffee-juice-breakfast station. Being on a tight schedule, we glanced at it while walking past it. Several other guests were there and had either an air of indifference or pleasantness about them - Nothing negative at all to suggest what was there was too little or unacceptable. Let me just say, not grabbing a cup of coffee was a mistake. Again, there is nothing in this neighborhood, but I digress. Check out was simple - Handed the clerk the key with a "thanks" which was pleasantly returned from the same face we'd seen a few hours earlier after arriving from the concert. There's something to be said for someone who's up all night and still chipper at 7 AM. This is a hotel for travelers. Not folks on vacation looking to be served, doted upon, or expecting a resort atmosphere. Nor is this an extended stay environment. I got exactly what I paid for and didn't have to pay for amenities we had no intention of using nor the time to even look at. It was clean, easily accessible, had running hot water, clean beds and pillows, and safe. Realistically, most people wouldn't rent out a spare bedroom in their home for this price. I recommend this place to anyone looking for a place after a concert at Walnut Creek. Given the wretched crowd this year in Raleigh for Buffett - A bunch of college kids on spring break in cowboy boots, more Kenny Chesney and Zac Brown people upsetting the Parrot Heads - I'd be shocked if he returns next year so early in the tour. However, if he does, this is the place I will be staying at!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 20, 2011

I travel all the time all over the world and this is by far the WORST stay ever! I was suppose to stay for 4 weeks and ended up getting a refund on the 2nd day. To top it off, after the very RUDE staff refunded my $557, he charged me $119 for the two nights I stayed there, without my authorization. Which is grossly over priced from their advertised rates. So now I am fighting the fraudulent charges that were made after I left. My bed had large cigarette burns on the blanket, I woke up with bugs crawling on me, the fitness center was a joke with two machines, not even a treadmill and the rooms looked depreciated by 30 years from the website photos. Puddles in the bathrooms from leaking pipes, dirty carpets, terrible continental breakfast that is nothing more than bagged cereals and rolls. Oh and one more thing, I asked for a cab and the clerk offered me a "good, new" cab service. Which included his friend pulling up in a personal car! When I refused to get into the unmarked "cab" both the driver and the clerk became upset with me. The clerk told me I was ridiculous to expect an actual cab vehicle that had a sign, funny how I got one when I took matters into my own hands. Pay the extra $30 and head somewhere else!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Marn75
Reviewed December 10, 2010

Yes, it is cheap but you are better off sleeping in your car. There was black mold growing all over the ceiling in the bathroom, Overall it was filthy and the ac/heat unit was rusted and growing brown fungus on the inside. I asked to be moved and the front desk said she couldn't without charging me a much higher rate. I sucked it up and slept okay but then woke up sick and then had to take a cold shower cause there was NO hot water!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business