“Will definitely stay here next year!”

Raleigh Marriott City Center
Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I was in attendance at Animazement 2009, and booked a room at the Raleigh Marriott. The location was unbeatable. An underground tunnel straight to the Raleigh Convention Center made it very easy for my friend and I to travel back and forth for food, costuming needs, etc. and saved us that much gas money! My friend and I loved the indoor pool and the fast elevators, and the staff was very nice (several staff members welcomed us as we came in the door! Very polite =) ) It's a beautiful hotel with beautiful, comfortable rooms (the beds were so comfortable I fell asleep almost instantly, and It was hard to wake up, haha!) and great accomodation. I definitely plan to stay here again when I attend Animazement next year, and I encourage anyone also attending to book a room here. I loved it!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 23, 2009

I was in Raleigh for a conference from April 17th - 23rd. We stayed here for a conference being held in the adjacent convention center. If I were paying, and didn't have a discount of some sort (hotwire, priceline etc) I don't know if I'd stay there. It's not because it isn't nice...it is! It's brand new, beautiful, clean, spacious....but downtown Raleigh doesn't have a TON going on. I know they're trying to change that. The staff were all BEYOND friendly - when with the vast numbers of people there, it could have been easy to be snippy. All in all, it was a great stay, and I would absolutely stay again. High speed internet cost $10 a day, and valet parking was $18 a day. There was a garage close by for $7 each time you left.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2009

I'm not sure what the negative posts were referring to. This was an awesome place to stay for a conference. The hotel was clean and the staff friendly and attentive. The beds were more than comfortable. The only negative thing is the ongoing construction in the area, and that is not the fault of the hotel. Since I was attending a conference at the convention center, it was also convenient that the hotel is connected to the center.

We made use of the bus system to visit restaurants in the area. Several pubs were within easy walking distance, including The Pit (great!).

Definitely a place I will come back to. Thank you for the marvelous stay!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank tomrudz
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Raleigh Marriott City Center is a good hotel for conferences at the new Convention Centre next door. The public areas inside are clean, elegant and open. The rooms are well appointed, with a nice added touch of a 37" LCD TV with a pc cable connection on the desk to connect your laptop. The bar/hotel is adequate, and served as a good after-convention meeting place with good service since we were the only ones there. Finally, on cool days, there's an indoor connection to the Convention Centre.

On the downside, outside the hotel, there's a lot of construction and not a lot of progress as yet. Getting to the rest of downtown requires walking around an active boarded up construction site which isn't a big deal during the day, but at night can be a little intimidating for tourists.

If you do venture out at night, it's about a 5 minute walk to City Market, which is a worthy destination during the week, but not so much on a Sunday night. I can recommend Woody's - a great sports bar, especially for watching college basketball.

Overall, if you're going for a conference at the Convention Centre, it's a good, convenient hotel. If not, there may be better places to stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 6, 2009

The hotel itself is very pretty and well done, but the staff is horrible. The front desk staff was not friendly, welcoming or helpful. Even the manager on duty didn't seem to know what was going on. Again the hotel is beautiful and in a great location, but the staff is very difficult to work with, and I will look at other options next time I stay downtown.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2009

I'm here at the Marriott City Center in Raleigh as a speaker at a large state-wide tourism conference, and I'm sick. The manager extended my check-out time to 4:00PM so I could rest throughout the day and they brought me food off the breakfast menu even though it was an hour after their breakfast time expires. VERY helpful. I'm a Marriott fan now.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2009

We chose to stay at Marriott Raleigh City Center because we typically have a good experience with Marriott. This stay was okay but we felt the comfort standards just weren't what we've come to expect from Marriott. It's a beautiful new hotel and the staff were all terrific. They were very friendly and helpful. With that said, we found the brand new beds hard as a rock; the towels were scratchy (more like motel 8) and not what you'd expect from a premier hotel,. Also, I think it's time Marriott gave up on nickel and diming travelers with expensive internet usage fees. Come on, if the Comfort Inn can offer free WIFI then the Marriott should be all over that! Overall, not a bad stay but not what we know Marriott is capable of providing.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)