“Best Location and Best Hotel in Downtown Raleigh”

Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed July 15, 2014

I stayed for 3 nights at the new Marriott in downtown Raleigh in June and had a great experience. Having stayed at RTP outside of Raleigh for years, this location was perfect with so many great places to eat, a new "safe" downtown area to walk around and shop, even at night, and a great location to many venues. The staff offered the standard experience at Marriott and the rooms were also standard but the location made this place a hit! The cost of the hotel compared to the Hilton hotels in the area were on par so this place is truly value for money.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Thanks for your review of the Raleigh Marriott City Center. We appreciate your loyalty to the Marriott brands!

Regards,

Reviewed July 14, 2014

I spent a couple of days here this past weekend for a conference. The hotel was awesome because they were able to handle an overwhelming number of females without major glitches. The first day housekeeping was extremely slow so we simply asked her to freshen up the bathroom when she finally arrived. The restaurant on site was not prepared for the number of guests, but the food was worth the wait once it arrived. The gift shop and the super nice clerk in there after 4pm on Thursday and Friday were a life saver. I left my food in there and she made sure it was taken care of and would not accept a thing for compensation. The one that was there on Saturday afternoon opened up so I could have purchase a tea even though she was trying to stock up supplies. From the time I checked in until I checked out I had nothing but awesome service and slept in a clean and spacious room. The staff went above and beyond taking care of our needs from the bellhop,wait staff, front desk ,housekeeping, manager and every person we encountered in between.

Room Tip: Tips. My room was 427, did not have much of a view ,(a roof and the halls of the convention center...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank SassySabby

Thanks for your review! We appreciate your sorority's choice of our hotel to host your convention this year. Thanks to everyone for making it special.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 8, 2014

I spent a couple of days here, while participating to a conference at the Convention Center. The hotel is in downtown Raleigh and connected to the Convention Center. Although this might sound like a plus side of the hotel (and this is why we booked it), you're not necessarily closer to the Center. For example, you have the same walking distance to the Center from other non-directly connected hotels, as for instance the Sheraton.
The rooms were good and fully equipped. There's also complimentary access to a hot-tub, a swimming pool and a gym. HOWEVER, there was no free internet (which is odd, since even in a McDonald's you can get that) and the access was extremely expensive (around 10$/day). Further, the room price did not include a complimentary breakfast.
Based on all this, I found that the price was excessive and I would not book a room here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. All of your statements are correct. The hotel does have complimentary WIFI in the lobby for all guests use. Parking is owned and operated by the City of Raleigh and not under the control of the hotel. Typically, all full service Marriott hotels charge for breakfast.

We regret that you were not satisfied with our hotel and services. Your posting is valuable to all travelers. Thanks again for your contribution to Trip Advisor.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 8, 2014

This is in a great location. Find out when downtown Raleigh will have events. Like 4th of July. You will be right in the middle of everything. So many bars and places to eat. If you bring the family you can walk to parks and family fun.

Room Tip: Ask for the room facing Fayetteville Street.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Downtown Raleigh has become a very vibrant place. We are delighted to be part of the experience.

Regards,

Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

This is my second time staying at this hotel over the Fourth of July holiday weekend. We usually stay there just for one night, to avoid the holiday traffic that gets very intense in downtown Raleigh. When we checked in, I had my first experience of displeasure. I inquired about the special Fourth of July rate, when I was informed I could no longer take advantage of it... It would have been around $25-$30 cheaper. Next, I inquired about where they usually keep guests with service animals, as I have a very severe allergy. I was informed then that they don't have specific rooms for the service animals, so she could not guarantee there hadn't been an animal in the room in which we were staying. Okay… I guessed if we had a problem, I'd just go back to the desk. We were given our room assignment: sixth floor – wish it had been a higher floor, but that's okay. Then, we got to our room – 2 full beds. Definitely not the one king bed I was expecting. A quick call down to the desk and they had us switched to a correct room, and had someone bring the keys up rather promptly. Great! We had a very fun night out and about on Fayetteville Street, and took advantage of the breakfast delivered to our room in the morning. This was pretty good, but they forgot a mug for my boyfriend's coffee. Good thing we had the paper cup that was next to the little coffee maker. Overall, this hotel is overpriced, but could not be more convenient for Raleigh Independence Day activities.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thanks for your contribution. We understand your dissatisfaction with the room rate. Hotel rates are similar to airlines. Depending upon demand, certain rates with have volume caps. For example 20-25 rooms maybe available at a special rate. As a hotel gets closer to filling discounts systematically close down. The last room in a hotel is worth more than the first. I would strongly recommend reserving a room for a future date and locking in a rate well ahead of time.

July 4th filled up the hotel inside 96 hours prior to arrival. This location went from 50% to sold out in that time period. Again, location, as you mentioned is a factor.
Thanks for your great points and perspective. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

This is my favorite hotel.... They let me down a little bit this trip. The room had a lot of dust and did not smell fresh. I did not get the view that I wanted either so I was disappointed. They made up some of the negative with the items included in my package of champagne and chocolate overee strawberries and a buffet breakfast the next morning. The breakfast buffet is one of the best we have ever had. The relaxation for being able to enjoy the festival and be right there and check out late made the trip so enjoyable. No one is perfect. I will give them another chance,

Room Tip: Made sure you double request the room you want. The side and the view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Please accept my apology for failing to meet your expectations. We appreciate your loyalty and honest feedback. I have forwarded your comments to the housekeeping team. They will take things from there!

Thanks again,

Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

We spent a weekend for a family wedding (not at the hotel) using points. Arrived Friday at 5pm and found a meter spot out front (free on weekends), then used taxis (safer after celebrating) to get around; otherwise $30 valet or self park around block at $12 (every time out). Concierge level room was nice, as in all Marriotts. Late lunch at Bar Posta was tasty with nice service; shared Calamari (yummy) and a Burger (always good). Lots of noise and hoopla in the lobby that weekend with Miss NC pageant, but didn't bother us. Great location if you're going to the convention center or any of the downtown things happening in Raleigh.

• Stayed: June 2014

We appreciate your review and particularly your comments regarding Bar Posta. The hotel is in a great location for family gatherings. There is literally too much to do in a weekend.