“Rude staff!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 84 Hotels in Raleigh
Jackson, TN
“Rude staff!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

The stay was fine, but the older African American lady with short hair in the gift shop was very unfriendly to my children. She needs to act nicer to her guests & I don't appreciate how rude she was. If you are going to work in a "family friendly" hotel then please act nice to children. I have never seen my 5 year old so shaken up! I get that my child shouldn't be touching the hats outside & I stopped it after one time. This lady needs an attitude adjustment or find another career.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank L H
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to post your review of the hotel and the gift shop team. I have brought this matter to the attention of our outlets manager. Clearly, our associates should measure their reaction to the family guests in the hotel.

Thanks for the posting.

Raleigh Marriott City Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Apex, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Room service forgot about our in-room breakfast order... So we ended up eating elsewhere. The windows in the room had a decent view, but were covered with grease marks from the foreheads and noses of previous guests... That was a little gross.

Had multiple ladies knocking on our door before 9am on checkout day. Eventually had to hang up the privacy card.

Overall, it's a nice building, but the people running the place seem too busy to bother with real customer service... They've got the equation backwards.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank B-and-D-Apex
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for your posting regarding our hotel, the service you experienced and the cleanliness of our guest room windows. I have directed our housekeeping manager to focus on this area.

Best Regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

4 adults and 3 small children attending an event at the convention center stayed for 2 nights. We were able to book adjoining rooms and have a refrigerator. There are some quick eating places just across the street. Room service was so slow we had to cancel breakfast but they have us buffet vouchers for the next day. Pool was nice but sort of cold.

Stayed March 2014
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Thanks very much for your great review of our hotel. We serve all of our guests including the youngest! This week we had the Lego Convention in town. Young and old alike had a fabulous time!

Thanks for your review.

Cary, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Good hotel located within walking distance of numerous options for restaurants. Rooms are comfortable with fine amenities. The only issue I have is that the room doors do not close they SLAM shut. That becomes a bit noisy since this is a convention hotel with people coming and going at various hours. The Bar area is nice but service could be a bit better if you sitting at one of the outside tables. Food is very good at the restaurant.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate you taking the time to post a review of our hotel. The team takes pride in exceeding expectations. We hope that you will return the Marriott on your next trip to Raleigh.

Cedar Point, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

We just returned from a one-night stay at Marriott City Center and it was nothing but a negative experience. We chose this hotel due to proximity to the convention center. We were traveling with 3 children and, when making my online reservation, I made a specific request for adjoining rooms. I then placed 2 subsequent phone calls the hotel directly (one a week prior to arrival; one an HOUR prior to arrival) explaining the importance of adjoining rooms since we had children with us. Each time I called, I was told adjoining rooms would not be a problem and that it had been noted in my reservation. However, when I arrived to check in, was told we couldn't have adjoining rooms. The explanation given was that I hadn't booked a king room? What? If I'd needed a king room, why was that not mentioned when 1. I booked the room online and 2. when I placed the 2 phone calls to the hotel? I then asked check-in gal (who was surly, anyway, because she was the only person working the front desk with about 8 people in line to check in) to figure out a way to get us into adjoining rooms and she informs me that they're all booked up and no changes can be made. NO KIDDING.....that's why I booked these rooms months ago, so that Marriott could ensure that I had adjoining rooms. So, having lost that battle, I took keys thinking at least we'd, perhaps, have side-by-side rooms. Nope! The rooms were on opposite sides of the hallway and several doors down. Having packed in only one suitcase (b/c/ it was a one-day trip) you can imagine how fun it was to drag a suitcase back and forth every time a kid needed something. This trip was completely disrupted by, what seemed like, a simple/reasonable request of adjoining rooms. As a result, we had 4 people in one room and 1 in the other, which was a total waste of money ($500 for a less-than-24-hr stay). The following list includes other problems I could've overlooked had our room experience been better but, since it wasn't, here they are:

1. For $200+ a night I expect parking to be free
2. Wifi.......really, Marriott?! You're STILL charing guests for wifi? No other upper-end chains (i.e., Hilton, westin, Ritz) charge for wifi. Why do you?
3. Room looked as if it hadn't been dusted in about a month.
4. Bathroom had barely been wiped clean from previous guest--there were "remnants" from past guest(s)
5. Room service couldn't manage to get 3 kids' meals correct

There is a Sheraton 1/2 block down the street--my husband has stayed there on multiple occasions. It is cleaner, friendlier, parking is free and so is wifi. Stay there instead!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Liz C
BHofmann, Public Relations Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for alerting us to the problems you experienced during the Lego weekend. I have spoken with the leadership in the responsible departments on improving our service delivery. Clearly we failed to meet your expectations and for that I want to apologize.

The team will use this as a lesson to improve for all our future guests.

Best Regards,

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

The hotel is very nice and has everything you need: big room with new TV, big bathroom, looks to be recently renovated, great gym, indoor pool and hot tub, parking and very close proximity to convention center, Starbucks and bar in lobby and walking distance to restaurants and bars.When we stayed here there was a cheerleading convention and the hotel was packed, but our room stayed quiet. Parking is $12 in the garage, no validation. TIP: You can park on the street right outside of the hotel for free on nights and weekends. Note: Two types of pillows: small square and soft or huge and really stuffed, so you might want to ask for extra. The bar had a great happy hour deals going on every day ($4 beers several nights a week). No breakfast.

Room Tip: If there is a conference in town don't get a room near the elevators.