“Not as good as last time.”

Ranked #14 of 84 Hotels in Raleigh
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not as good as last time.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

I spent four nights here on a recent business trip. This is one of my company's preferred hotels and this was not my first visit (and probably not my last). This stay came with a few surprises:

1. The room was dusty.
2. I had to call for missing toiletries once.
3. I had to call for missing coffee and creamer/sugar twice.
4. By day three it was apparent that the bathroom wasn't really being cleaned.
5. I had cold showers for two of the four days.

Previous stays were fine, so I suspect items 1-4 above were specifically related to housekeeping on the 16th floor. I'm not sure of the cause of item 5.

This was a disappointing visit. At almost $300/night on the concierge level I expected more attention to detail. I hope someone speaks to whoever manages the 16th floor housekeeping team. This is a nice hotel in a good location, but the problems above left an overall poor impression this time around.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank BeantownGal_11
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor. I have shared your concerns with both housekeeping and our Maintenance team. I can certainly appreciate your frustration. Your feedback allows us to target weak points in our service delivery and the team will work to resolve these challenges.

Raleigh Marriott City Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

There for a short trip. The hotel was very busy. The main hotel restaurant needs a more attentive and responsive staff. We stood for several minutes at the hostess desk of an empty restaurant after the lone staff member there said "wait I have to check and see where to seat you' and never returned. We chose to leave and spend $$ elsewhere. Room was fine and most of the stay was pleasant. Just average.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the Raleigh Marriott City Center. I regret that we failed to not only meet your expectations but also that our team really let you down in the restaurant. I have forwarded your review to the restaurant leadership in hopes that greater training and awareness during slow periods will avoid a re-occurrence of this issue.

Thanks again for your posting. The hotel needs all feedback including negative to improve our services.

Cary, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

A nice hotel with easy access in downtown, free parking is close by, but beware - valet is slow and very expensive ( $24 per day if I recall). Rooms are nice, typical Marriott - catering to business travelers but not really to casual vacationers.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Wow another satisfied local client! Thanks for you wonderful review of our hotel!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

One of the absolute best hotel stays of my life. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and bright, but the most outstanding thing about this hotel is the service and the extra friendly and knowledgeable staff - from the front desk to the servers and bartenders at the restaurant. We even met the restaurant general manager who brought out cups of candy canes and goodies for our children. We're sorry to have to leave, but will most definitely be back!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Wow what a super review! Thanks for taking the time to post your contribution on Trip Advisor. This is a great forum for travelers to learn about their options in an unfamiliar city. We are delighted that your family enjoyed themselves.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

I was at this hotel for a conference in november and I had the best food the most fresh vegetables and very tasty meals. There are also a number a excellent restaurants in the area. The staff if very friendly and the rooms are cozy and some have very pleasant views. I would stay again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Carmen,

Thanks for the great review of our hotel and restaurant. Our location is second to none. The advantage of being connected to the convention center makes a big difference when selecting a hotel in Raleigh.

We are delighted that we exceeded your expectations and hope that you will join us again.

Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is as advertised. From the moment we walked in the front lobby it was first class treatment. Check-in took maybe two mins, front desk was on the ball. I had pre-arranged chocolate covered strawberries upon checking into our room from room service and they arrived within five mins of entering room. Very quite restful sleep. Definitely would recommend and planning a trip downtown for date-night at the Marriott very soon! Place has been renovated and looks like a brand new contemporary hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
We certainly appreciate your great review of the Raleigh Marriott City Center. We appreciate that local residents choose our hotel for their getaway outings. We are proud to be part of the community here in the Triangle and hope that you will visit us again.

Best Regards,

Greenville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

I had surprised my husband with an overnight trip to Raleigh to stay downtown, eat a nice dinner and see the Hobbit on IMAX 3-D. I had read good reviews about the Marriott City Center so decided to stay here. Boy, am I glad we did.

First, before we even got there I got an email from the GM welcoming us and letting me know to contact them if I needed anything. We had just gotten married 2 weeks before and this was his birthday present to I emailed back telling them that and asking if we could have a room on a high floor with a view. The Assistant GM wrote back saying they could do that.

Parking: a breeze as there is a giant garage under the hotel connected to the Convention Center (go in the entrance of Lenoir) and it's only $12 for all night!

Check in: very easy and they kept their word and we had a room on the 11th floor (with a great view of the sunset!). We had a king size room with a couch and chair, desk and plenty of space. I actually really like that there was a bench at the end of the bed.

Bed: one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've slept in in a while. Just the right firmness. I'm picky about pillows so I wish they had a better selection. They only had down pillows that were squishy and I prefer firm pillows.

Bathroom: again, one of the nicest I've seen in a non-resort hotel. The shower....just stay here for the shower alone. It's not your typical tub with a curtain...it's a ROOM with a glass door and a bench! You could seriously fit 3-4 people in there. AND they have a towel rack so you don't even have to get out in the cold to dry off. AWESOME.

People: so, so nice. Once we checked in and were relaxing a bit a man came up with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries from the assistant GM! We were floored. It was so sweet and was a really special way for us to begin our night on the town.

Location: really ideal. It's downtown so it's close enough to walk to restaurants, the IMAX theater, even the capital. BUT it's at the end of Fayetteville St so when we got out at 1 am and the streets were SO LOUD with clubs and people it was nice that our hotel was quiet at the end of the block.

We were there less than 24 hours so we didn't try their restaurant or bar but there is a Starbucks IN THE LOBBY which was very convenient before the drive home!

The ONLY con I can really come up with was how loud it was all night long. I was up half the night with doors slamming and people yelling. I couldn't tell if it was the staff or other guests but it was really loud. There was a big event going on in the ballroom so it could have been those guests partying all night. Maybe next time I'll just try to call the front desk and have them deal with it.

All in all I was really happy with our experience, and it was just one night! Highly recommend staying here!

Room Tip: Email the GM to request the kind of room you want. We requested a room on a high floor and got the 1...