“Nice hotel for business travel, but some amenities were "off"”

Ranked #12 of 86 Hotels in Raleigh
Ft Worth
“Nice hotel for business travel, but some amenities were "off"”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I really wanted to like this hotel but generally I’m not that impressed, due to the little things. But, I’ll list out the pros and cons and let you decide for yourself. This hotel is definitely set up for the business traveler paying with the company card (you must pay for transportation to/from airport, internet access, breakfast, bottled water). This hotel is great as far as the must-have’s: quick hot water, cleanliness, clean/soft linens, clean carpet.

Pros: Bath & Body Works orange ginger toiletries (probably a bit strong for my husband’s taste, but I like them); nice fitness facility with plenty of cardio equipment plus Life Fitness weight machines; friendly and helpful staff; small store in lobby was much appreciated for some OTC medication; fitness center /pool /laundry were on 4th floor (glad to not have to walk through lobby in my suit/coverup/sandals); love the location-easy walk to tons of great restaurants/ convention center/ Enterprise car rental; across the street from BoA ATM; nice conference room accommodations.

Cons: pool was cold! Ironing board padding was too thin (waffle weave pattern into my clothes, ugh); bed pillows were too small and smushy, requesting extras for our second night didn’t even help; sink stopper didn’t work; bathroom was tiny; no hi-def channels to go with HDTV; no vent for the bathroom steam; reading lights on bed were fluorescent and entirely too bright.

Room Tip: Avoid the 4th floor since that has the fitness center/ pool/ laundry.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Raleigh Marriott City Center. I certainly apologize for the shortcomings you described in your posting. I have asked our engineer to look at our HDTV feed as we certainly do provide HD programming for the HD televisions in our guest rooms. I have also reviewed our guest robes and pool temperature to ensure that they are up to Marriott standards.

We appreciate your posting on Trip Advisor!

Regards,

Raleigh Marriott City Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I was there for 1 night on a business trip and found the hotel to be nice and the service very good. I went to buy a bottled water from the store and it was closed. One of the employees went out of his way to get me a bottle.

The only negative was check in. I arrived around midnight and had to wait a long time to be checked in.

2 Thank smarrs88
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Raleigh Marriott City Center. We do have a great new hotel in a super location. But what makes this a special destination is the team that delivers exceptional service to our guests. Thank you for commenting on our people. They are the DNA of our business.

Best Regards,

Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I returned to the Raleigh Marriott City Center despite my not-so-happy stay last time. This time around things are different. From check in to check out time was flawless. I stayed at this facility for five nights and everyone was very helpful, from getting me my bottled water to location to post office to the extra towels. The concierge lounge attendant opened to let me in to pick up a few items when I showed up a bit late after they already closed. I only need some utensils to finish my dinner. These 'extra miles' effort really gave me a pleasant experience that I would look forward to stay at this facility again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
The team appreciates you considering our hotel after your Thanksgiving weekend experience. Leadership spends significant resources on training associates on the finer points of service delivery. After reading comments such as yours it becomes clear that our efforts are paying dividends.
Please join us again on a your next trip to Raleigh.

Best Regards,

Palm City, Florida
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband attended a Harley Owner's Group Leadership Conference at the Convention Center and we stayed here. Two clerks at check-in at 9:00 PM were busy but only waited about 15 mins. When we drove in it was pouring down rain but the bell hops outside were very helpful. They got someone to help me ( sorry can't remember his name. He was wonderful, took everything upstairs for me ( while my husband parked the car underground). When we got upstairs I he helped me in the room, showed me where everything was, got me ice and ordered a refrigerator for our room when I requested it. The refrigerator arrived as my husband came up the the garage. I used the gym the next morning, which was great and clean. i loved that there is a "Starbucks" in the lobby. Worth the price. Wonderful staff!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for your great review. While our hotel is beautiful clearly it is the team that makes our guests return. Our bellstaff is second to none with great information about our hotel and local community.

Regards,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here for a convention March 29th - 31st 2013. Check in was a breeze. The valet team, front desk staff and hotel porters were very helpful and friendly. I am a Marriot Rewards Member and requested a refrigerator (not standard with the room) it was delivered within 20 minutes of check in. The room has a tea maker not a coffee maker, but there is a Starbucks on site so that worked out. There was an internet 9.99 per night charge, and there is an onsite "business center" but to access the computers cost $5.95. I was not happy about that, internet should come standard.
The rooms and common areas are very modern and comfortable. I did enjoy the onsite restaurant and bar on Saturday night. The convention center is connected to this hotel so that is super convenient. There is an Italian restaurant, Jimmy Johns, Chinese restaurant and Chick fil a, all within walking distance. We had lunch at The Raleigh Times on Saturday....Really GOOD! Valet parking was 22.00 per night and self parking 12.00 per day. Overall this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Raleigh Marriott City Center. It soulnds like your guest room was without coffee. I certainly apologize if that was the case. The rooms should all have coffee, decaf coffee and tea selections. And we do have the Starbucks store in our lobby. We now have complimentary WIFIin the lobby and restaurant. Elite tier Marriott Rewards members also receive complimentary WIFI in their guest rooms. We remain hopeful that Marriott will migrate to 100% free internet service as it is an above property directive.

Thanks for your review! We appreciate your contribution.

Washington, DC
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is a clean, comfortable and safe place to stay in downtown Raleigh. The buffet breakfast was especially good -- there was a very wide selection of high quality fresh fruit and I also liked the yogurt parfait. In addition, there were omelets, and the usual breakfast meats, breads, cereals (including oatmeal), yogurts. Check-in was quick; however, I requested a nonconnecting room. The frontdesk clerk said they didn't have connecting rooms. In fact, I ended up with a connecting room. Luckily, the folks in the connected room were pretty quiet. The room was clean,comfortable and modern. There was only one frontdesk clerk at check out and there was a line. There is an indoor pool and hot tub, but they were closed for cleaning when I tried to use them. I stayed at this hotel before I picked up my rental car. Enterprise car rental is nearby. When I returned to Raleigh on the last day of my trip, I stayed at the Sheraton which is a couple blocks away. I like this Marriott better because the rooms and public areas are very up-to-date. The Sheraton needs to be renovated, and they just started the renovation the day we were there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
We appreciate your great review! The Raleigh Marriott City Center is proud to host conference attendees in Raleigh. Our breakfast buffet is second to none. Our fresh fruits are always the best we can source and bountiful. The culinary team at our hotel is a top notch group of professionals who love their work!

Thanks again.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Enjoyed our stay over the weekend. Hotel is connected to the convention center which is convenient. The staff was friendly and helpful, room service was great, quick and the food was delicious. It's a win win if you want to park, stay in the hotel and attend an event in the convention center.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of our hotel. Being attached to the Raleigh Convention Center conference attendees can easily travel through the connector and stay dry with the spring rains. In the summer one can stay cool riding the escalators to your function. You cannot go wrong staying with the best team in town!

Thanks again,