“One of my favorite Marriott properties...”

Ranked #12 of 86 Hotels in Raleigh
Jacksonville, Florida
“One of my favorite Marriott properties...”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I travel extensively for his work and are Marriott Platinum Rewards members. Because his corporate headquarters is in Raleigh, this is probably our most-visited destination. The location of this particular Marriott cannot be beat - you can walk to plenty of restaurants and museums, the state house and the amphitheater. If you don't feel like walking, there are rickshaws. Almost every time we are here on a Friday or Saturday there is some kind of event happening that involves closing down Fayetteville Street - its also closed on Wednesdays for a Farmers Market.

The hotel itself is beautiful - everything is new/recently renovated and very clean. Every employee I have encountered (which is probably most of them, given how often I stay here) is friendly and eager to help. Rooms are a good size and quite comfortable. The beds are fairly comfortable - but I prefer a super firm mattress, so unless you are like me you will probably think it is great.

We usually stay in a handicap-accessible room (my husband is disabled) or an Executive King. The standard handicap-accessible room comes with a roll in shower or a tub. Both have plenty of grab bars and a hand sprayer. This is also one of the few hotels I have stayed at that actually has counter space in the handicap-accessible bathrooms. This is also one of the few handicap-accessible rooms that truly is accessible. For a person in a wheelchair the entry door may be a bit of a problem (its very heavy) but other than that there is plenty of room to maneuver around both sides of the bed (which is low enough to transfer to) and in the bathroom. And the clothes rod in the closet is wheelchair-height.

If you are offered an upgrade to an Executive King - take it. The room is somewhat more spacious and has a walk-in shower plus a bench at the foot of the bed and a couch (in addition to the chair that is included in the standard room).

Getting the car from the valet can sometimes be a little slow, but only because they get *really* busy. Just plan ahead if you have to be somewhere at a certain time.

Because the room doors are so heavy they often slam and can be quite loud, but otherwise the rooms are pretty quiet.

Also of note, the Starbucks in the lobby is not a real Starbucks. Its like a Starbucks in the airport. Its alright, but if you really like coffee you would be better off walking two blocks to Sosta Cafe on E Davie or three blocks to The Morning Times on E Hargett.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AndieTravels
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thanks so much for your review of the Raleigh Marriott City Center. Our team is very proud of our hotel, the services we strive to provide every guest and particularly proud of our city. The Raleigh Marriott City Center seeks to mirror our environment: welcoming, warm, modern and relevant. Our staff is well trained to deliver to the most seasoned traveler - you.

Best Regards,

Raleigh Marriott City Center

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Fond du Lac, WI
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here for business, and overall the hotel stay was pleasant and comfortable. The location was good, located on the south end of downtown. Beds were comfortable and the hotel staff was pleasant and professional. Parking and internet access are not free, so be mindful of that.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thanks for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to comment on our hotel. Trip Advisor is a great site for travelers to research the right hotel for their lodging needs.

Best Regards,

San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I never stay anywhere except Marriott. This hotel is absolutely exceptional. From the minute we reached the front desk and met Sharon,to Austin in the restaurant and Will at the valet we were impressed. The room was absolutely beautiful and they accommodated my request prior to my arrival. The general manager Bill Hoffman is involved with the running of this hotel and it shows. I am impressed that his people are as good as the leadership he provides. Okay so you pay for the valet, it was worth every penny! The valet service was fast and efficient. The Marriott has no choice if you decide to park off the premises and pay for public parking, reach into your wallet and pay the valet. Everyone I encountered at the hotel was incredibly helpful from finding new restaurants, to calling a taxi, to telling me about the local events in the area. I have stayed in the Marriott worldwide, and I know it must sound strange but I have to rank Raleigh in the top three. Again that is World Wide, Hong Kong remains number one, and Boston Massachusetts number two but I would rank this Marriott a very strong three running close to number two. I enjoyed my stay, the location is incredible and the guest services is incredibly helpful. Great job you guys !

Room Tip: I had the corner room 1602.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Wow! Thanks so much for your review! We certainly appreciate your posting and your accolades for our team members. Such positive responses really inspire and motivate our staff. And I must say that I thank you for the compliment personally. Our's is a team effort and we are fortunate to have some great team members, a beautiful hotel in an unbeatable location in a dynamic city!

Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I was here for a 3 day Conference and qualified for a special rate but I am also a Marriott Upper Tier Rewards Member. I had asked to upgrade to the concierge floor but floor was full. However the very nice people at the Registration Desk gave me a card that allowed me access to the Concierge Lounge and the privileges therein. While I was here at the Conference I had several important faxes come in that related to my job and again the very nice people at the front desk made sure the faxes arrived and they even made copies of them for me. I thought that the front desk staff was truly excellent.

The room was a King on the 9th floor and was very quiet. I was near the elevator and normally I like to be far away from the elevator but I never heard anyone. The bed was very comfortable.

The restaurant in the hotel is an Italian themed restaurant and I actually enjoyed it very much. I ate three meals there. The other restaurants in the downtown area paled in comparison to the hotel's restaurant and the prices in the hotel restaurant were quite reasonable.

The bar in the lobby is very good and they know how to make my favorite drink (a "Sidecar" which is a classic drink from the 1940s).

The Concierge Lounge is great! They have a hot breakfast from 6:30 to 9:30 a.m. and an honor bar at night. They also have desserts in the evening and snacks during cocktail hour. The people in the concierge lounge are also very helpful.

This is one of the nicer Marriott's in the USA that I have stayed in recently. Well done!

Room Tip: Ask for the Concierge Floor if you can!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Raleigh Marriott City Center. We certainly appreciate your comments about our Posta Restaurant and Bar Posta. Recently we started a roof top herb garden and are also now beekeeping. We will serve our home grown herbs and honey soon! The front desk is certainly a lightning rod for service success. Thanks for your kind words.

new york
Reviewed August 27, 2012

As a frequent business traveller paying top dollars, it was shocking to find that parking was not included as a hotel guest. Every time I moved the car in and out of the garage, I had to pay. Of course the hotel front desk recommended valet parking which would have added further expenses in tips and parking charges.
One more thing, there was no breakfast included with this hotel stay, though the hotel is conveniently located with many dining options within walking distance.
Thank goodness my company negotiated free WIFI which I did not have to pay.
One plus that I like to mention is that the gym was well equipped. A good gym is a must for travellers crossing time zones.
Last comment: why not add a few dollars in the room rate and make a business traveller feel more welcome? On the other hand, a few free amenities can turn a traveller into a loyal Marriott customer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your posting and your candid comments. You are correct that parking and breakfast are not included in our guest room rate. Parking is actually owned and managed by the City of Raleigh. The Raleigh Marriott City Center does not set the fee structure or benefit from the proceeds.

After much market research, it was decided not to include breakfast in our room rates. This is available as a package when booking a room.

Thanks again for your contribution!

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This isn't a negative review as much as it's a disappointment. I recently stayed at the City Center Marriott and was looking forward to a great night's stay. I stay at Marriott or Courtyard or Residence Inn Marriott about 12-15 nights a year for business and consider it the standard. This room books for about $350 and if you go down to the Hampton Inn or La Quinta you can get it for about $100. The front desk staff was nice, but when I called to get recommendations for a nearby bar or restaurant the desk told me that he could only think of one and wasn't really familiar with the area - I asked if there was someone who could and he said no. Once there, the property is very attractive and in a nice area (covered in bars and good restaurants). The rooms are standard Marriott affair, nothing special but also nothing to cringe at. A king bed, a desk and a chair. High end bathroom products but a toilet that would barely flush and terrible water pressure. The coffee machine had the standard terrible coffee pod system - but only one pod. Again it was a standard Marriott room without anything special for the price you can find a great hotel in downtown that will treat you like royalty. Biggest annoyances: the WiFi is $10 a day which is obscene in today's world especially spending more than $300 for a room and the parking is $22 a day.

Room Tip: Ask for something above the third floor our view was nothing but roof fixtures and tar.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
BHofmann, General Manager at Raleigh Marriott City Center, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Raleigh Marriott City Center. You should absolutely expect to be treated like royalty. I have already used your review as a training tool for our Guest Services Team.
Thanks again for your review.

St. Louis
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I spent 2 nights at this hotel recently. The rooms and services were fine. Weekend partiers made it a little noisy. Wi-Fi charges are $10.00 per 24 hrs. My irritation was with trying to print a boarding pass in the so called 'business center' in the lobby. Of the 2 computers there, one was not working at the time, and I lined up behind several people to use the operating one. A sign beside the computer advedrtised approx. $6.00 for 15 minutes, however, a small window on the screen advertised "free boarding pass". Clicking on the screen brings up a list of airlines.
Problem, after selecting the airline, a "payment" screen pops up with the same $6.00 for 15 minutes and spaces for credit card info. Not having the time to ask the busy front desk, I went ahead and entered my card. The crowning touch was when I selected "print", another screen came up requiring an additional $3+ dollars.
While I would happily pay an additional $9.00 for my room, I have a problem with being squeezed.
Management's defense to my original review claimed I must be 'computer challenged". Perhaps, being a retired airline captain I am not in the ranks of computer whizz, but I suggest there is enough technology in a Boeing glass cockpit to be considered computer 'functional' if not 'literate'. (I called the hotel manager, but he was "on vacation").
Since a review cannot be added to after a response from the reviewee, you get a one sided defensive response that might be considered 'self serving'.
Bottom line, if printing a "free" boarding pass in the lobby of a major hotel requires more than average computer skills, I suggest the program could use an update, unless it is deliberate!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I have asked our IT department to review the boarding pass printing capacity of the business center PCs. They should not have charged you for this service. I have requested a permanent sign be placed by both machines which directs guests to the front desk for assistance printing boarding passes in case of mechanical problems. You have every reason to be upset by this. Yes, the hotel charges for some services that are complimentary at other hotels-breakfast, parking and internet to name a few. However, boarding pass printing is a service that is supposed to be free. Please contact me personally to restore your faith in our hotel.